Sponsored by:

GTS Cars For Sale On The Web

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:37 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
I'm genuinely curious with the following question...

I've had my 997.2 C2S (manual, 6sp, sport seats/full leather, lots of options, etc) for almost 6 years, driven it about 40k miles, paid about 40% of what you did for your GTS and in that time spent less on mods/maintenance than you did immediately upon purchasing yours.

why?

Is money not a material object? is this thing not going to ever get driven and it's just dollars in/dollars out on a screen somewhere?

I guess I simply don't understand the sheer amount of money people are paying for these cars for both purchase, then upgrade, and then to be stashed away or in hopes of breaking even/making money somehow.

I've driven a GTS and it's almost impossible to tell that it's much different than my (already objectively great) car. And this isn't a debate about last RWD/widebody etc. car.

But why buy a 100k car, dump a bunch of money into it, and then expect for it all to come back moments later?
Your making assumptions without knowing me or the facts.
Read the post, I paid a premium to begin with and had the car looked after and sorted to the level I keep my cars.
Car is not even officially for sale, unless someone really wants to buy it, as my interest have changed. I want back into a 997.2 GT3.
Happy to drive it and have two long road trips already planned for the spring.

The following 2 users liked this post by STALKER99:
Liste-Renn (01-06-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-07-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:18 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 417 Posts

What's the point of publicly and derisively questioning someone else's purchase? It isn't very helpful or positive for our community, other than broadcasting your bias about your purchase and decision making. Points made aren't even apples to apples. Prices have basically doubled over the past 6 years. A .2 4S with 42K miles just sold for $78K (https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...-carrera-4s-3/), which is still not the same comparison, but closer. Regardless of personal preferences and opinions, there will always be a premium for GTS cars over like S/4S cars. That is a fact. Whether the value is there to you or anyone else is always going to be debatable, but also immaterial to STALKER99's purchase or decision making.

I just don't see the purpose of telling the world why you believe someone paid too much for their car and frittered their money away, or question why they are considering selling in order to get a GT3. BTW, if I could make the economics work, I would do that trade all day long and into Sunday. Why not just congratulate them on their purchase and wish them well in their new journey with their car? I know I will get a lot of **** from the peanut gallery about my old man rant, but the snarkyness on RL is intolerable. We live in a hard enough world as it is. The last thing we need is our own community pissing on each other. 'Nuff said.

Originally Posted by hexagone
I'm genuinely curious with the following question...

I've had my 997.2 C2S (manual, 6sp, sport seats/full leather, lots of options, etc) for almost 6 years, driven it about 40k miles, paid about 40% of what you did for your GTS and in that time spent less on mods/maintenance than you did immediately upon purchasing yours.

why?

Is money not a material object? is this thing not going to ever get driven and it's just dollars in/dollars out on a screen somewhere?

I guess I simply don't understand the sheer amount of money people are paying for these cars for both purchase, then upgrade, and then to be stashed away or in hopes of breaking even/making money somehow.

I've driven a GTS and it's almost impossible to tell that it's much different than my (already objectively great) car. And this isn't a debate about last RWD/widebody etc. car.

But why buy a 100k car, dump a bunch of money into it, and then expect for it all to come back moments later?
The following 7 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
ahyiah (01-13-2022), Jack667 (01-06-2022), maekwl (01-06-2022), preelude (01-07-2022), SeanPatrick31 (01-06-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-07-2022), Wayne Smith (01-06-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,628 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
What's the point of publicly and derisively questioning someone else's purchase? It isn't very helpful or positive for our community, other than broadcasting your bias about your purchase and decision making. Points made aren't even apples to apples. Prices have basically doubled over the past 6 years. A .2 4S with 42K miles just sold for $78K (https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...-carrera-4s-3/), which is still not the same comparison, but closer. Regardless of personal preferences and opinions, there will always be a premium for GTS cars over like S/4S cars. That is a fact. Whether the value is there to you or anyone else is always going to be debatable, but also immaterial to STALKER99's purchase or decision making.

I just don't see the purpose of telling the world why you believe someone paid too much for their car and frittered their money away, or question why they are considering selling in order to get a GT3. BTW, if I could make the economics work, I would do that trade all day long and into Sunday. Why not just congratulate them on their purchase and wish them well in their new journey with their car? I know I will get a lot of **** from the peanut gallery about my old man rant, but the snarkyness on RL is intolerable. We live in a hard enough world as it is. The last thing we need is our own community pissing on each other. 'Nuff said.
I can't answer for hex, but I do it because I love cars, I love never seeing another car like mine on the road, and I never plan to sell them until it doesn't matter to me because I can't drive them or maybe walk for that matter when I'm 90 or 95 or whatever that age will be. So, I mod them to my liking with no care for what the market or future value is. If gas is available when that time comes, my son will likely take stewardship of all but the pink one (which my daughter will take) so looking at the investment in mods and depreciating them over say 70 years, that money just doesn't matter. If they're worthless at the end of the fossil fuel era (a real possibility), so be it, but I have no interest in driving an electric car or one that can drive or park itself or feeling like I'm in a video game when driving, so I'll run the current fleet for the rest of my life and the only new car I may ever buy is a new pickup for utility purposes (Ram TRX at the top of that list currently for anyone interested).

The monetary value thing only means something to someone who plans to sell - that ain't me.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
Busta Rib (01-06-2022), Coolwnc (01-13-2022), sandwedge (01-07-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-07-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:15 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

I respect that everyone has their own opinion…this is at the end of the day a public forum. But what we do and say does not give any of us a picture of who we are, how we use our cars, our financial situation, etc….

So to make any assumptions here is short sided in my view.

Enjoy the cars in good health and be thankful you we can afford them.

Happy 2022 everyone.
The following 3 users liked this post by STALKER99:
maekwl (01-06-2022), pcarhiway (01-09-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:24 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Whoa a lot happened in here the last few days. Agreed, leave the judgemental (even borderline) posts out, no room for that on an online forum, all adults here and no need to question intentions. That’s what PMs are for, if you desperately want to get inside someone’s head to understand personal decisions.

Only thing that makes me sorta sad is I have to compete with Stalker for a 997.2 GT3 now. You had your chance, buddy!! Leave some for the rest of us! jk obviously.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 625 Posts

This forum being policed by non-moderators is getting a bit tiresome.
Let individual posters defend their posts.
It's a freaking forum, not a sewing club.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 01-07-2022 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ahyiah (01-13-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:37 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fayraree
Whoa a lot happened in here the last few days. Agreed, leave the judgemental (even borderline) posts out, no room for that on an online forum, all adults here and no need to question intentions. That’s what PMs are for, if you desperately want to get inside someone’s head to understand personal decisions.

Only thing that makes me sorta sad is I have to compete with Stalker for a 997.2 GT3 now. You had your chance, buddy!! Leave some for the rest of us! jk obviously.
Let the hunt begin!!! Not much out there at the moment.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:54 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Back on Topic

GTS 6spd on BAT

This is a great looking car with a near perfect spec. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I'm tempted.........
Old 01-12-2022, 10:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quixotic1
GTS 6spd on BAT

This is a great looking car with a near perfect spec. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I'm tempted.........
No sport seats, no full leather, AWD, and no PCCBs - as GTSs ho, pretty run of the mill.
Liste-Renn (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:53 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No sport seats, no full leather, AWD, and no PCCBs - as GTSs ho, pretty run of the mill.
yet it will reach 90k easily
Liste-Renn (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Don't mean to knock AWD GTS's but what makes a "regular" RWD GTS rare and somewhat unique is that it's the only widebody RWD 997 except for the GT3 RS and the GT2. A 4 GTS is for the most part a 4S with an X 51 power kit, alcantera bits and pieces, some suspension and minor body upgrades and centerlock wheels as I see it. Compared to the two C4S's I've owned, the feel of the RWD GTS is quiet different and special in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
850tgul (01-13-2022), Liste-Renn (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-997
yet it will reach 90k easily
Yep, which is a little silly because as sandwedge writes, it's a 4S with powerkit. For the price difference, you could buy a 4S and have Raby build a 4.3R engine that would blow it away.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:51 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Don't mean to knock AWD GTS's but what makes a "regular" RWD GTS rare and somewhat unique is that it's the only widebody RWD 997 except for the GT3 RS and the GT2. A 4 GTS is for the most part a 4S with an X 51 power kit, alcantera bits and pieces, some suspension and minor body upgrades and centerlock wheels as I see it. Compared to the two C4S's I've owned, the feel of the RWD GTS is quiet different and special in my opinion.
What about the feel of a RWD GTS vs. a RWD C2S with powerkit?

Let's be honest, and I own a C4GTS myself, no matter how you slice the cake neither is materially better than the non-GTS counterpart. I paid what I thought to be a dumb premium when I bought my car because all the nice stick 997.2's were slipping out of my hands. That premium has only widenend since. Sure the C2S vs. GTS has a slightly wider body but it doesn't come anywhere near justifying it's massive premium either.

That said, the market is free to act however it would like. We're in a day and age where an entry level steel Nautilus costs more than a Perpetual Calendar in precious metal.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:24 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemarp
What about the feel of a RWD GTS vs. a RWD C2S with powerkit?

Let's be honest, and I own a C4GTS myself, no matter how you slice the cake neither is materially better than the non-GTS counterpart. I paid what I thought to be a dumb premium when I bought my car because all the nice stick 997.2's were slipping out of my hands. That premium has only widenend since. Sure the C2S vs. GTS has a slightly wider body but it doesn't come anywhere near justifying it's massive premium either.

That said, the market is free to act however it would like. We're in a day and age where an entry level steel Nautilus costs more than a Perpetual Calendar in precious metal.
exactly, people will justify premiums for whatever personal interests and perspectives they have. I’d like to think my Cabrio 4GTS 6-spd is the rarest spec 997.2 Carrera in existence (Speedster and Sport Classic are rarer though). One could say my car is for the person who can’t afford a Speedster but wants a top down experience and same engine, except with a 6-spd, so more desirable in that respect than the PDK-only Speedster. All depends on how you want to slice it!

Last edited by fayraree; 01-13-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:38 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 625 Posts

As always, we pundits talk the talk but the market walks the walk.
$90K, all day long.
$94.5K, all-in.
fayraree (01-13-2022)

Quick Reply: GTS Cars For Sale On The Web