Sponsored by:

GTS Cars For Sale On The Web

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by vector99
thanks - will check. I am going to get a 24 hour test drive, another perk so should be able to spend a good amount of time looking it over.
Agree, it is a risk-free way of getting to know the car. Mine was also a CarMax purchase, and so far, it has been a good experience. I have not claimed anything on warranty at this stage. I successfully negotiated new rubber, as the existing tires were original to the car, so another thing to check. My tires did show cracks between all the sipes which helped my case. Good luck, great cars.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:50 PM
vector99
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Agree, it is a risk-free way of getting to know the car. Mine was also a CarMax purchase, and so far, it has been a good experience. I have not claimed anything on warranty at this stage. I successfully negotiated new rubber, as the existing tires were original to the car, so another thing to check. My tires did show cracks between all the sipes which helped my case. Good luck, great cars.
yes- I missed that last time - tire wear was good but they were old and a year later I had to replace them due to age. They did remove all curb rash from existing rims.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
I would double check this car did not get rear-ended. The "4" badge is not centered right, and the top LHS of the engine cover seems out of line with the other panels. It's so hard to tell from CM pics, but double check.

I think the lettering looks normal

Old 11-22-2021, 11:43 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 625 Posts

I agree, the badging looks fine.

Really, chill out with the comments.

This might be the safest buy I have seen since Covid hit.

Zero risk and plenty of time to examine everything with your own eyes, drive it and a freaking bulletproof warranty to boot. Anything discovered in a PPI will be fixed at no charge.

Keep us in the loop, quite interested in how this all plays out.

You paid a great price in today’s market and the car looks awesome.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:47 PM
vector99
Intermediate

My Carmax adventures continue - I just booked a test drive of a 991 so will be driving the GTS to a different local Carmax to do side by side comparison.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:31 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by vector99
My Carmax adventures continue - I just booked a test drive of a 991 so will be driving the GTS to a different local Carmax to do side by side comparison.
will be curious to hear your impressions. I was debating 991 after my GTS
Old 11-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Me, too.
As my CPO warranty was expiring in 2018, I started looking for a 991.1 GTS with the aero kit front and ducktail rear spoilers.

Drove a half dozen of them and decided to keep my 997 version.

The 991 is definitely more refined and faster 430hp v 408hp- but it didn’t feel faster.

It feels bigger and more refined than the 997 GTS, but the 7MT was not as precise and the updated/redesigned interior was a bit too “Panamera” for me.

I’ve since bought and drove 20K miles in a 2018 Macan GTS, which has the same center console and wheel.

I’ve since grown to love the tactile switches aft of the PDK stick and wouldn’t mind having some of the modern features of the 991.1 GTS interior.

Bottom line:
The 4” wheelbase increase (and addition of RWS and PTV to mitigate the increased turn radius) was not an improvement to the 911’s perfect balance of desirable yaw instability and traction/braking prowess.

Porsche f*cked around with a damn good chassis balance- and while it resulted in faster ‘Ring times…it’s debatable that it’s more fun to drive on real roads.

I was also salivating about the 991.1’s Dynamic Chassis Control, Torque Vectoring, Dynamic Engine Mounts and the very cool 20” solid black RS Spyder wheels.

A bit relieved that I kept my 997 GTS, but wouldn’t be disappointed if it got totaled or stolen and I had to start shopping 991.1 GTS models again.
Almost bought these two in my search:

Ultimately, am happy with this one:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-24-2021 at 09:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
911-997 (11-23-2021), maekwl (11-23-2021), SeanPatrick31 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:53 AM
vector99
Intermediate

Ok so my results. After some back and forth because of test driving around thanksgiving I got 24 hours in the GTS, test drove a 2015 991 base and a 2013 boxster S almost back to back because they we all available at the time.

I think the GTS was great and by far the best of the bunch. Interesting take aways - while I can see the extra space in the 991 my kids didn't really feel the difference. The steering in the GTS is better but to me the 991 steering is still good and for me not a major factor (I thought it would).

the GTS always felt like it wanted to be pushed while you can cruise in the 991. I know it’s not fair as the 991 was a base and no sports chrono.

boxster S needed to treated more aggressively to get performance and was not as ready to go as the 911’s.

bottom line - I didn’t pull the trigger on any of them - while the GTS was good I didn’t think it was $80k good me and step up from my 997.1 not a game changer.

so if your interested in it you will find it at Carmax Charlotte independence Blvd. it won’t show online for maybe 24 hours so call and reserve if your interested.

condition: it’s no garage Queen. Marks on driver seat leather and side. Rip on seam on upper side - looks very fixable. A few scratches on body but not too bad. Wheels in good shape. It probably a good detail (and leather fix) away from good.

The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:05 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 9872Boxster
will be curious to hear your impressions. I was debating 991 after my GTS

I have an 997 GTS and a 991.1 GTS. @Liste-Renn makes a couple of great points in his comparison. My simple description is that the 997 is more S and the 991 is more T.
If I'm going out to carve mountain roads, then I prefer the 997 all day... I think the steering gives more feedback, the 6 speed is better than the 7, and car seems more confident in tight turns. If I'm taking a trip, then the 991 is the one. The interior is more comfortable for longer drives and it seems to ride smoother. If I had to sell one of the cars, I think it would be the 991.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:19 AM
vector99
Intermediate

Also forgot to mention I bought a land cruiser the weekend before and that needs work. This will be my kid hauler.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:50 AM
sleepili
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi everyone, first post here as I'm in the market for my first Porsche (not in a rush to purchase, but starting to monitor market and prices). Anyone know anything about this car: https://www.almcars.com/used/Porsche...2c16807926.htm
Old 11-30-2021, 01:26 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape. If you want a GTS, this looks to be a fair price in today’s market.

This current auction, for a similar car, ends in 4 days:

122K mile 997 GTS with stories on BaT

I, personally, would not buy the black one. A partial matte wrap (?!?) precludes a paint evaluation and the interior is really rough in every wear area. Even with documented maintenance, it has 122K miles of daily use. The front lip is badly repaired after the owners wife damaged it along with a front wheel.

Your white one will likely be sold by then, but both cars will test the value of a high mileage, RWD PDK coupe in today’s marketplace.

White one has less than half the miles and all the desirable options, to wit:

Sport Chrono- critical with PDK
Adaptive Sport Seats- 18-way adj.
Leather Sport wheel- some dislike alcantara in this high wear surface
Bose/Sirius XM
Navigation

Also noticed:
Aftermarket back up cam
Well treated interior and exterior
No extended leather- none on doors or dash

The ad lists it as a Carrera S, so they might not know, despite the obvious badging, it is a GTS.

A DME report is not necessary with the PDK.

Put down a deposit and line up a PPI.
Deduct the cost to remedy anything found from the $78K and you could end up with a well bought GTS.

Good luck!

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-30-2021 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sleepili (11-30-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape. If you want a GTS, this looks to be a fair price in today’s market

The ad lists it as a Carrera S, so they might not know, despite the obvious badging, it is a GTS.

A DME report is not necessary with the PDK.
Found this curious too. Why "downgrade" what you're selling in the subject line? Many who are looking specifically for a GTS will probably skip this one and move on.

Last edited by sandwedge; 12-01-2021 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 417 Posts

A lot of dealers and the people responsible for placing the ads don't know the distinction between the S and GTS models. This seems to be a common mistake. I found my Boxster GTS by searching for Boxster S on Autotrader. This is another tactic if you are in the market for a GTS. When I was looking for my GTS, I would also search "automatic" transmissions and found some manual cars that were mis-categorized. Search results for GTS cars are relatively low anyway, but if you are willing to filter through some noise, you might come across a hidden gem due to a mistake in the listing ad.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Found this curious too. Why "downgrade" what you're selling in the subject line? Many who are looking specifically for a GTS will probably skip this one and move on.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
A lot of dealers and the people responsible for placing the ads don't know the distinction between the S and GTS models. This seems to be a common mistake. I found my Boxster GTS by searching for Boxster S on Autotrader. This is another tactic if you are in the market for a GTS. When I was looking for my GTS, I would also search "automatic" transmissions and found some manual cars that were mis-categorized. Search results for GTS cars are relatively low anyway, but if you are willing to filter through some noise, you might come across a hidden gem due to a mistake in the listing ad.
My experience as well.

Quick Reply: GTS Cars For Sale On The Web