My experience as well.
surprised the dealer doesn’t try to upsell you after they discover the mistake
Old 12-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by 9872Boxster
surprised the dealer doesn’t try to upsell you after they discover the mistake
In some cases it was subsequently revealed that the "mistake" was a devious deceptive strategy.

Weasels!!

Old 12-01-2021, 07:05 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 544 Posts

In some other cases it's not. I never try to underestimate the lack of intelligence of car dealers.

Also, sometimes it's difficult to get valuations on 997 GTS'. When I bought mine, I got a small loan for some of it and my bank went by NADA. NADA doesn't list a GTS, so we had to use the S valuation instead. It didn't matter because the loan was just a portion of the value. I think I ran into that with my old insurance company once also.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 612 Posts

I recall @Upscale Audio relating his experiences buying seriously underpriced cars at dealerships who had no clue what they were selling.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:21 PM
sleepili
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I will keep you guys posted how things progress. I've lined up a PPI at German Car Repair in Alpharetta (reputable shop based on feedback from others on this forum). We shall see...
Old 12-02-2021, 03:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
A lot of dealers and the people responsible for placing the ads don't know the distinction between the S and GTS models. This seems to be a common mistake. I found my Boxster GTS by searching for Boxster S on Autotrader. This is another tactic if you are in the market for a GTS. When I was looking for my GTS, I would also search "automatic" transmissions and found some manual cars that were mis-categorized. Search results for GTS cars are relatively low anyway, but if you are willing to filter through some noise, you might come across a hidden gem due to a mistake in the listing ad.
Originally Posted by Ironman88
My experience as well.
Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I recall @Upscale Audio relating his experiences buying seriously underpriced cars at dealerships who had no clue what they were selling.
I think these blunders are found almost without exception by non Porsche dealerships. At least that's what I've seen over the years. I've never seen a 997 as misrepresented as the one discussed here by a Porsche dealership. Someone trades a 997 for something else high end at a dealership that doesn't know the first thing about Porsches except that their trade in is a 911. Some seem to limit their distinction to whether it's a Turbo or a "regular" 911. And that's the scope of their filter.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

I used to think the same but the Boxster GTS I bought was from Grapevine Porsche in Dallas. The ad posted on their own website as well as on Autotrader mistakenly listed the car as a Boxster S. Even Porsche dealers make mistakes. Point being: if you're on the hunt for a GTS, sweep Carrera, S, and even 4S ads. You might find a mislabeled car that nobody else has found.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think these blunders are found almost without exception by non Porsche dealerships. At least that's what I've seen over the years. I've never seen a 997 as misrepresented as the one discussed here by a Porsche dealership. Someone trades a 997 for something else high end at a dealership that doesn't know the first thing about Porsches except that their trade in is a 911. Some seem to limit their distinction to whether it's a Turbo or a "regular" 911. And that's the scope of their filter.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:51 PM
sleepili
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Spoke to the dealer (ALM Roswell) on the car and I don't have a good feeling about dealing with them. While car may be great, they are very rigid on price. Even in the event PPI comes back with issues, they will not adjust and insist on "fixing things themselves". My gut's telling me to stay clear of these guys.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
I used to think the same but the Boxster GTS I bought was from Grapevine Porsche in Dallas. The ad posted on their own website as well as on Autotrader mistakenly listed the car as a Boxster S. Even Porsche dealers make mistakes. Point being: if you're on the hunt for a GTS, sweep Carrera, S, and even 4S ads. You might find a mislabeled car that nobody else has found.
Agree which is why I said these kind of blunders are "almost without exception made by non Porsche dealers". Porsche dealers aren't perfect and sometimes they seem to be in such a hurry to get a new trade in marketed that they make stupid and misleading statements. I've seen it.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:40 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 612 Posts

Cool aggregator site:
Classic.com 997 GTS 6MT
Classic.com 997 GTS All versions
The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 06:59 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

That's cool...thanks for sharing
Old 12-09-2021, 07:44 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

oh man I should not have looked, reminded me how much I paid for my manual GTS. LOL.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:32 PM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
oh man I should not have looked, reminded me how much I paid for my manual GTS. LOL.
I used to think that when I first bought mine but then as soon as I open up the garage it's remarkable how fast that thought fades...
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (12-10-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:47 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice spec.. red was only ~6% of the North American GTSs...

https://mart.pca.org/ads/53907
Old 12-17-2021, 02:04 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Your “all else being equal” qualifier invalidates your assertion.

Every used vehicle is unique and any evaluation of worth is more complex than whether it has been “tracked hard” or not.

My GTS has never, in my ownership, been on a track. But I drive it for hours at a time with the revs mostly above 4500 while accelerating between, and hard braking before, almost every corner. It’s not abuse. The car is stretching its legs and is operating within the designed/engineered performance envelope.

More frequent oil/brake fluid & pads/ tires/changes are required- but it’s a stretch to call it abuse and reject it from ownership consideration.

Not driving a 911 hard is akin to abstaining to save her for the next guy…or rejecting her for prior history:

LMAO love this ad!!!

long time lurker and I think I did post my intro message when I picked up my ’12 4GTS Cabrio 6MT with 23k miles on PCARmarket in Oct 2020 for $65k. Nicely spec’d $129k MSRP. I was hoping I’d see more in the $100k range because I want to upgrade (or downgrade, based on the opinions of some my peers here, lol!) simply because race car, lol! Coming from a high revving S54 for almost 14 years, I feel like our redlines are too low! Taking a Mezger to 8,400 rpm screaming down an on ramp is my goal in life now lol. Monitoring both markets very closely!

my car was actually one of the ones that showed up in that classic.com, in NY. Anyway, nice to meet everyone on here!

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Stalker, you wouldn’t happen to be from Toronto, would you?!

Last edited by fayraree; 12-17-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Quick Reply: GTS Cars For Sale On The Web