Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 02:05 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Gaudin let me know they're sold out of map SD cards for the 997 PCCM plus. They expect to get more by the end of March.
That's a bummer. Glad I ordered mine early last week and was able to get one from them. I suspect if you keep calling around and even check back with Gaudin in a few weeks, they may receive more before March.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:15 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Wiring & Plug Identification

Picked up the other day from local dealer in Atlanta and I'm just starting dig into and trying to figure out what is what and about to start install. Thought may help to try identify the specific parts included in the kit (this is the North American 997-642-591-00). My knowledge is limited here so just trying to take a stab at outlining a few items and I can come back and edit this post if others can help fill in the blanks or clarify what each item is for an when may be applicable for an installation.

A. Sirius XM Adapter Cable.
B. Control Unit cable. Plugs into #7.
C. Control Unit - this mounts on tray bracket included with kit.
D. Double stick tape/pads to secure the control unit on top of included tray bracket.
E. Main wiring harness. Black goes to #8, green and yellow into the top portion of #10.
F. Antenna bypass loop. See photos below from 964hans.
G. Antenna adapters color coded to match existing (black and yellow). Blue end plugs into #1.
H. Fiber optic loop. Unnecessary with Bose equipped cars, but used for non-Bose to plug into matching orange wire/plug that will be removed from old PCM.
I. External microphone - feedback thus far from others here is this doesn't seem to work as well as the internal mic on the front of the unit - so maybe not worth installing.
J. GPS antenna.

Last edited by maxw; 01-15-2023 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Updating Info
The following 6 users liked this post by maxw:
daddyscar (01-15-2023), Houndstooth (07-30-2023), JustinCase (02-02-2023), myw (01-17-2023), Summerjack (03-04-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (01-16-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
That's a bummer. Glad I ordered mine early last week and was able to get one from them. I suspect if you keep calling around and even check back with Gaudin in a few weeks, they may receive more before March.
Agreed. I don't need the PCCM Plus or the SD card luckily until March when my car comes out of storage but I don't want to be in the situation where I waited too long to order and they're all sold out. This is one of those products where I bet everyone is going to order at once. According to Suncoast it sounds like they'll be getting PCCM Plus units in come January or February (previously said March).

While I was going to buy from my dealer when they're released to all dealers (not just classic dealers), I may just order from Gaudin so I at least have the unit in my hands and then will have them ship the SD when they get it in.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:46 PM
964hans
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

F: Bypass cable for the obsolete Antenna Control Unit

Obsolete Antenna Control Unit

Bypass cable installed

G: Adapter Cable between existing car wiring and new PCCM Plus

Hans
Old 01-15-2023, 02:54 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Picked up the other day from local dealer in Atlanta and I'm just starting dig into and trying to figure out what is what and about to start install. Thought may help to try identify the specific parts included in the kit (this is the North American 997-642-591-00). My knowledge is limited here so just trying to take a stab at outlining a few items and I can come back and edit this post if others can help fill in the blanks or clarify what each item is for an when may be applicable for an installation.

A. Sirius XM Adapter Cable
B. Control Unit cable
C. Control Unit - this mounts on tray bracket included with kit, not sure exactly what the control unit does and if is needed for all applications?
D. Double stick tape/pads to secure the control unit on top of included tray bracket.
E. Main cable connection?
F. ?
G. ?
H. Fiber optic loop - not sure specific purpose?
I. External microphone - feedback thus far from others here is this doesn't seem to work as well as the internal mic on the front of the unit - so maybe not worth installing.
J. GPS antenna.

I might be able to help....

C. It sounds like this is the optical control unit. I think it is absolutely necessary for a Bose equipped car, and probably necessary for non-Bose cars just to keep everything consistent. I wouldn't attempt the install without it.
E. Yes, this is the main wiring harness. The black connecter plugs into port 8 or 9 (I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's dummy proof and you can't install it in the wrong plug) and the other plug is left empty. The green and yellow connector plugs into the top portion of port 10. The bottom portion is used for the blue connection on the SiriusXM adapter if you choose to use it (I did not install mine).
F. Antenna bypass loop. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it is my understanding from watching the FGP video that the antenna control unit is redundant now and the bypass loop is a necessary part of the install.
G. These are antenna adapters and are color coded (black and yellow) to match up to the existing connections in the car, then the blue end plugs into port 1 on the back.
H. Yes, this is the fiber optic loop. It is unnecessary with Bose equipped cars, but it will need to be plugged into the back of the optical control unit on non-Bose cars.

It will be pretty self explanatory once you get your old PCM out. If you haven't watched the Friends Green Porsche video on YouTube, it's a great visual guide on how to do the install. Let us know if you have any questions.

The following users liked this post:
SFstealth (06-06-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 04:59 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread rocks for self-installers - thanks to everyone posting their experiences...

What did you do with the antenna control unit once bypassed? Removed the other connector (power/control?) and take it out of the car?
Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 05:39 PM
964hans
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes I removed it.
I checked with PIWIS for error reports. None found

Hans
funcars (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 07:33 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

@beebman I’ve been looking at instructions for other android units. It looks like pin 1 is TX and pin 2 is RX. It has pin 4 as camera power (fitting with your findings) and 7 for ground. I’ll confirm when I get the Porsche media unit to check it’s the same. I may actually then just wire a 10 pin plug to usb for CarPlay and sell the box again (don’t need the aux or usb, I’d stick the usb in the front if I ever use one)

myw (01-17-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 07:49 PM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
@beebman I’ve been looking at instructions for other android units. It looks like pin 1 is TX and pin 2 is RX. It has pin 4 as camera power (fitting with your findings) and 7 for ground. I’ll confirm when I get the Porsche media unit to check it’s the same. I may actually then just wire a 10 pin plug to usb for CarPlay and sell the box again (don’t need the aux or usb, I’d stick the usb in the front if I ever use one)

@dph928 I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can match the outputs up with what I’ve found so far. I think they will be different as ir,brake and WiFi are all gnd but I’ll double check the rx/tx pins.
shaun

Last edited by beebman; 01-15-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:05 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by beebman
@dph928 I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can match the outputs up with what I’ve found so far. I think they will be different as ir,brake and WiFi are all gnd but I’ll double check the tx/tx pins.
shaun
Great. There’s also this shot of a back of the 996 unit. You can’t quite see the Green and wire wires (assuming colour coding is consistent with usb). May give some clues.

Taken from another thread
Old 01-15-2023, 09:56 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wondering should we also remove the telephone module under the driver's seat and as others have already, the old nav unit and CD changer in the frunk,
Does Porsche have an opinion/recommendation? In other words, Originality Vs Dead Weight
turb0 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 10:09 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks all here for the info and sharing the knowledge. I updated my notes above on the photo of the wires/ports based on feedback here. As G.I.G. noted, it's pretty fool proof on where to plug stuff.

I spent more time than I want to admit removing the old PCM. I had removed it a couple times in the past, but struggled more this time for some reason. The 5mm Allen wrench part where you're supposed to turn it 180 degrees or so to unlock it so it can slide out just wasn't cooperating. I noticed the new unit updated the approach here ditching the plastic which should make it less problematic next time.

Here is a view with stuff plugged into the back before putting in the car to test:

I have a non-Bose - the loop simply plugs into a matching colored wire you'll have removed off the back of the old PCM. .

Confirmed all working before tucking all away:

It was great to plug in and having all working with no issues. I don't have the map SD card so didn't test that - not sure if I'm going to bother getting it as will will likely just use Waze/Google Maps/Apple Maps.

Appreciate all those are doing to try to figure out and if can get a backup camera working on a manual - I'd like to add that as well if a good solution could be confirmed. Would be nice as well if could have a USB connection on the back that worked with CarPlay for a cleaner look.

My early impression playing around with it is really positive - great upgrade!
myw (01-17-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 10:42 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Maxw….Looks nice. Did you notice any white noise as others have indicated with the volume at “0” or muted? Also, since you have a non-Bose system you really didn’t need the MOST Adapter box you put on the tray. These are needed for BOSE only systems to convert the fiber optic signal.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:36 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab

Also, since you have a non-Bose system you really didn’t need the MOST Adapter box you put on the tray. These are needed for BOSE only systems to convert the fiber optic signal.
Can I really omit the Most Adapter Box if I don't have a Bose system?
Old 01-16-2023, 03:45 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Just wondering should we also remove the telephone module under the driver's seat and as others have already, the old nav unit and CD changer in the frunk,
Does Porsche have an opinion/recommendation? In other words, Originality Vs Dead Weight
I don’t think it matters for the PCCM plus if these remain on the circuit. As long as the optical circuit is complete and it can communicate with the amplifier. Mine worked fine with the nav unit still installed. It’s your choice really I think, as long as you loop out any component you chose to removed. I’d already bypassed the phone module to use the Mr12volt Bluetooth adaptor. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request