Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023 | 01:24 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgoga
Do you have the tail light plugged in when you are testing this?

John
Unfortunately, it's fully reassembled. When you originally confirmed this needed to be done, I did it and it tested correctly. I reassembled everything and tucked the wire away to the PCCM. In the trunk, I'm using a spade connector to the 12V reverse light power wire and then I attached the ground to a factory grounding nut (with other wires on it). I'm measuring voltage at pin 6 in the back ... unless that pin is getting pushed back as I connect the plug, I can't figure it out otherwise .... (I'll see if I can double check that). The de-pinning and re-pinning of some other plugs can result in the placement not being firm.
Old 05-05-2023 | 07:22 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

@Steve W or anyone else that have done this hack below....i completed mine as well but it still has a delay not as much and i noticed only once in a while...is that normal or did i hook up something wrong?

On the capacitor i connected the short end to negative and the long end to positive. The diode in the direction from radio (anode) to back (cathode)...

Thank you in advance.

John
Old 05-06-2023 | 01:54 AM
bredward
Advanced

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
Can anyone confirm if this unit has buttons that light up with the headlights? Mine does not, so I wanted to check before trying to find which wire/plug handles that.
Thanks
I have a 2006 Boxster and the buttons on my PCCM+ are backlit with headlights on.
Old 05-06-2023 | 05:39 PM
Steve W
Racer

I changed the PCCM back to "CAN" and left the "amp ctl switch" to 'ON'. I connected the CANBUS connector, removed the brown connector but my external amp is not turning on. How are you getting your JL amp to turn on? Since I've switched the C1 connector to CAN, I have no 5V trigger.
Pin 7 on the power connector block A of the PCCM provides the 12v turn on for external devices such as amplifiers and antennas. Amplifiers and antennas turn on with 12v to the turn on wire, not 5v.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
John or Steve - I'm splitting hairs here. When I installed the USB to route to the rear, I zip tied only to the other USB, to add some stability (pic below). I didn't secure it to the side of the unit using a zip tie since I was struggling a bit to get the zip tie to make a complete circle (through 2 holes). Is this an issue? Should I open the unit and secure it to the side? Or am I ok? I don't want to disconnect all the connectors and risk issues with 15 y/o plastic snapping, but also want to make sure it's right.

I'm also going to recommend that people electrical tape the USB coming out of the back to whatever USB they connect to it to make sure it doesn't come undone.

Thanks again Steve for coming up with the idea and John for sending me one.

Zip tie them to the side of the case holes. Otherwise you will end up putting too much stress on the board connector or the plug will come out.

Originally Posted by jgoga
@Steve W or anyone else that have done this hack below....i completed mine as well but it still has a delay not as much and i noticed only once in a while...is that normal or did i hook up something wrong?

On the capacitor i connected the short end to negative and the long end to positive. The diode in the direction from radio (anode) to back (cathode)...

Thank you in advance.

John
With a capacitor, the side with the stripe also usually has negative dashes '-' marked on it is the side that goes to ground. With a diode, the end with the stripe is the same as the line in a diode symbol in a diagram, which the arrow points towards. Diodes are basically like a check valve, they allow current to flow in the direction of the arrow and not the other way. If you install it backwards, then what would happen is the current stored in the capacitor goes the other way and discharges back to your reverse light bulb (but your camera wouldn't get any power either). Make sure you are connecting these to the 12v power wire powering the camera, NOT the red 12v trigger wire coming out of the camera. Assuming you installed both and connected them correctly, and only sometimes get the 'no camera' symbol and very briefly, then your camera may be on edge of drawing more power than the capacitor has capacity, and you may to increase the capacitor size to get more time. Maybe like a 15,000uf cap instead, or wire another cap in parallel to the existing one to add to the capacity. For example, another 10,000uf cap in parallel gives you 20,000uf.

Old 05-07-2023 | 09:00 AM
Zephyr92
Rennlist Member

Hi GDome81,
same Problem here in a 2008 987 S Boxster with Bose-Soundsystem. Bose was recognized by the pccm+. It shows all the options like Fader, adjustable Surround and a 2-band so called "Equalizer" only capable of setting Treble and Bass. Setting the fader all to rear, it sounds like a cheap little, portable radio, almost no bass. If you choose Loudness it gets louder, with pretty much of uncontoured bass and more Trebles. That gets on my nerves quickly. Nothing to enjoy. I tried all the related settings, I could find in the menues, but no luck.

The major problem, I haven't been able to solve until now, is the lack of punch and volume that the Bose had with the old pcm 2.1.
The sound is by far not as good as the Bose system is able to produce.

Have you been able to solve this problem? If yes, I would be very happy to learn from you. Every help is appreciated.

Greetings from Germany, Zephyr92
Old 05-07-2023 | 10:47 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

I'm wondering if this is setup specific? I only have a momentary (less than a second) display of the 'no camera' icon, when moving out of reverse ... strange.
Old 05-07-2023 | 10:51 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve W
If you look at the PCM 2.1 diagram, you will see the green wire goes to pin 20 of the PCM and is called CAN WAKE UP, so it is in the correct position in your harness connector. However if you changed the PCCM settings so the yellow block outputs line level audio preouts for your amp (Car > Settings > Volume [hold for 10-15 sec]), I don't think the CANBUS would still function. It's probably either/or. So C1 in the diagram below which is normally for CAN High when changed over becomes line level audio preout for the rear left channel, and C2 which is for CAN Low becomes line level audio preout out for the rear right channel. If CAN signals can multiplex along with audio signals, I would be surprised, and not sure how you would even wire that up. So unless you need to have line level rear channels, if you want full CAN function, you might need to change the PCCM settings back to CAN, and just use the two channels of line level L&R outputs from the MOST port (B15 to B18).

That yellow wire in the adapter harness has no function except for a Cayenne to provide a triggered ground from PCCM pin B8 to turn on its rear camera. You can ignore/remove it for a 997 and 987.

I have it working now, but just to be clear, the fader does not work (moving to the rear = silence) is this your experience too?
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2023 | 04:48 PM
Steve W
Racer

Obviously there is only a left and right channel output from the 12 pin block and no separate rear channels. I don't have rear speakers so have no need for rear channels. If you want to drive the rear channels of your amplifier, either set your amplifier to route the signal inputs to all channels if there's a switch on your amp for that, or use RCA signal splitters to share the inputs to your front and rear channels. Then adjust your rear speaker volume by the output gain adjustment at your amp.

Or you can also just drive your rear speakers by wiring them in parallel to the front speakers, and use resistors to the rear speakers to reduce and adjust the rear speaker volume relative to the fronts. Once you set the rear volume you want, you're never going to adjust them again. You don't want rear speakers to do more than just be barely perceptible add some rear fill, your soundstage and imaging should come from the front of the car.
Old 05-08-2023 | 02:03 AM
notabenex
Intermediate

How is your quality of calls? I am using PCCM+ with included external microphone and wireless android auto box (Ottocast) . Qualty of the calls is very low, other side can barely hear me.
Old 05-08-2023 | 04:37 PM
Zephyr92
Rennlist Member

I have it working now, but just to be clear, the fader does not work (moving to the rear = silence) is this your experience too?
Thanks!
@bxstrCA My PCCM+ was installed by a nearby Porsche Center. I checked the settings and the output is CAN. Sound is coming mainly from the front and door speakers and very very little from the rear mid speakers and subwoofer. Nearly nothing. If I turn the fader all to rear, it seems only the rear mid speakers were working. But very quiet. I won't call it real Silence.
Porsche Center's only idea is, to install another PCCM+ for testing. But if there are only front left and right outputs to the MOST Adapterbox, that wouldn't change anything.
I wonder if Steve W's suggestions are possible with the Bose amplifier, because there aren't any switches, only female connectors and a little fan and there is no possibility to change any settings to route signals, as far as I can see. Further I'm not educated in electronics and don't know how to wire the rear speakers (which are 2 Subwoofer speakers and 2 Mid speakers correctly. So I'm a bit lost.
Until now, I was interested in keeping the originality of the car as far as possible. Therefore PCCM+ and no other Headunit. I kept the PCM 2.1 for the possibility to rebuild the 2008 Situation. But I'm afraid I have to think it over now
So, given the fact, that I would like to keep the PCCM+ because of it's successful integration of Car-Functions, a relatively up to date Headunit with Navigation System, Phone, BT, AA etc., I'm thinking of a way to replace the Bose by a better sounding system (if possible). I love to drive a bit faster with opened top and listening to good sounding music.
So I'm open for any suggestion that would be as good as, or better than the original Bose.

@notabenex I tested the external and internal mic by calling my own answering machine. So I could hear myself speaking under different driving conditions with internal and external mic. I found the internal mic a bit better. But both weren't very good. Until now I haven't changed the sensitivity of the mics. This can be changed in the hidden menu you can reach going from home to car, to set, so system an then scrolling down to Version info. Then tap and hold version info for about 15 seconds and it will jump into the hidden menu. You can then find a button for the mics. Tap this one and you'll see the settings for internal and external mic. You have to find out, which setting is the best for you. Be careful not to mess up the settings in this hidden menues. But generally it depends on the signal strength. I hope, that helps and good luck!

I would be glad to get a feedback, what you found out about it.

Greetings from Germany, Zephyr92
Old 05-09-2023 | 12:43 PM
997TC
Track Day

Any chance that someone can upload or DM the Navigation Manual for North America? Unfortunately, the Porsche link for the Nav manual, Porsche Manuals - Porsche AG, doesn't work in the US. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-09-2023 | 12:48 PM
bredward
Advanced

Nevermind, this was only the PCCM+ manual, not the navigation manual.

Originally Posted by 997TC
Any chance that someone can upload or DM the Navigation Manual for North America? Unfortunately, the Porsche link for the Nav manual, Porsche Manuals - Porsche AG, doesn't work in the US. Thank you in advance.
I was able to download it from Canada just fine. Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Operating manual_EN.pdf (5.59 MB, 127 views)

Last edited by bredward; 05-09-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2023 | 01:10 PM
997TC
Track Day

Originally Posted by bredward
Nevermind, this was only the PCCM+ manual, not the navigation manual.

I was able to download it from Canada just fine. Here it is.
Thanks for trying. The operating manual link is fine so not sure why Porsche has the nav manual blocked.
Old 05-10-2023 | 09:56 AM
Clnilsen
AutoX

Does anyone have a better description or a picture of where the siriusXM antenna is best located? I'm not getting the idea for "under the cowl" or at least what steps it takes to get the antenna there? I assume it's under the plastic where the wipers are (and not under the hood) but It's just not clicking with me. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2023 | 12:14 PM
Jeffinlv
2nd Gear

I put mine there. I’m working on the road and wont be home until tomorrow but when I do I’ll take a pic and post it….

Also, I’m having issues with the PCCM storing the channel logos for Sat radio channels… it will download/show a few, but each time I start the car they disappear.Interested to hear if you have the same issue.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request