Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 05:54 PM
Nicebonnett
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
are you still making the CarPlay front to rear and rear to front cables?
Old 01-25-2024, 06:31 PM
Nicebonnett
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgoga
Ok so, it looks like 2 cables are needed to flip the carplay usb to the back.....anyone willing to make a few $$$ I am sure there will be others but if someone is willing to supply these 2 cables that are needed i am willing to purchase them or pay for their invested time. I could probably tackle this if i have the exact cables that are needed. Maybe @Steve W can help with this?

Thank you in advance.

John
john, are you still making the cables?

Rick
Old 01-26-2024, 12:25 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicebonnett
john, are you still making the cables?

Rick
Rick,

Cable that enables switching USB/Carplay to the back i have 3 left. The second cable, which allows the front USB to function for charging and MP3 (excluding Carplay) i have one left. I will PM you.

John
Old 01-26-2024, 01:34 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a years old Dension 500SBT installed for bluetooth in the car now. When it was installed, I had to have dealer code for a cd changer in trunk with PIWIS. Does anybody know if this coding has to get changed back or to something else or if it can be left as is? Looking to get the new PCCM professionally installed but not at a dealership and it would be really inconvenient if they couldn't test because of programming.

Last edited by midcont; 01-26-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:33 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
I have a years old Dension 500SBT installed for bluetooth in the car now. When it was installed, I had to have dealer code for a cd changer in trunk with PIWIS. Does anybody know if this coding has to get changed back or to something else or if it can be left as is? Looking to get the new PCCM professionally installed but not at a dealership and it would be really inconvenient if they couldn't test because of programming.
My 2008 C2S Cab came with the CD changer, which I used in conjunction with an OEM Sirius receiver (i.e., Cayenne accessory) for years before ordering one of the first PCCM+ units available. I removed the Sirius receiver but left the CD changer in as it was too much trouble at the time to remove it when I installed my PCCM+. I have never had a dealer either code or un-code for a CD changer (or anything else) and my PCCM+ works just fine. Not a technician, but I doubt you or anybody else installing the PCCM+ will have a problem.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:57 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You will not have to code it out(because that info was in the old pcm) but if you remove the dension unit or remove the power to it. You will need to loop out the most fiber connection.
The following users liked this post:
JustinCase (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:05 PM
CBRich
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tangledweb

I cant get this black connector from the vehicle loom to plug into the red socket on one of the pccm adapters. I'm 99% sure that's where it's supposed to go. The red pccm socket looks like its pins are straight. This photo makes it look like some of the car loom side are crushed.

Do I need to figure out how to de-pin this connector on the main loom and straighten them? Can I do that with generic tools like picks and small screwdrivers or do I need to order a de-pinning tool and wait? or do i just push harder?

Thanks
I think I've seen three others in the thread with this same issue and it happened to me last night. For anyone that stumbles across this in the future, there is some play in the sockets on the car harness side and that, in combination with possibly bent pins on the PCCM connector side, can cause it to be near impossible to seat. Here is what I did to resolve the issue:

1. Remove all unnecessary pins from the PCCM connector. They likely aren't the issue since they don't seat into anything, but they allow you to see the pins better from the side and eliminate any concerns with them. Simple to do with the tiniest of screwdrivers by pressing into the top of the pin and pulling it out the back. Pics below show how you want to pry and what you're actually pushing down on.
2. Attempt to seat the connector while looking in through the gaps on the side and feeling for resistance. I was able to see some pins clearly hitting towards the bottom of their socket as I felt resistance.
3. Carefully pry any suspect pins the direction you think they should go.
4. Continue to attempt and bend.
5. Last Resort (which I did have to do): One by one, unpin the necessary pins from the PCCM connector until the plug seats. This will immediately tell you which pins are the issue. Remove the plug, reinstall the pins, bend appropriately and seat.
6. Or P.S. Or Hint? Pry the clipping bar back up on the pins before reinsertion so that they catch properly and don't slide back out. Pic is blurry but kind of indicates what's going on.

Push the clip down on the pin.

Blurry, yes. But there is a little bar you're pushing down to release. Remember to pry it back up so it clips in properly on reinsertion.
The following users liked this post:
Bavarian 997 (02-03-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 06:28 PM
CBRich
Rennlist Member

Default My Purchase List

I finally finished my install of the PCCM+ and, with the help of this thread and the DIY, things went perfectly smooth. So thank you to everyone who contributed. For those perusing this thread and considering an install, below is my purchase list. Obviously buy whatever you want, but I had not seen a concise purchase list, so this may help you ensure you have all you need before getting started. Also, I'm aware I could have ended up with the same items for cheaper through Alibaba or locally, but I really didn't want to wait or spend the time driving around. For reference, I have a 997.1 C2S Manual Cabriolet with Bose that had DVD Navigation, Sirius XM, and a Bluetooth phone adapter. The DIY is very good, but feel free to PM me if you have additional questions on stuff. I'll be happy to help. Good luck!

Item: USB A to 1x4 Internal USB Connector (1.25mm Pitch)
Purpose: Reroute USB for Android Auto / Apple Carplay out the back
Thoughts: The DIY explains how to do this. I have no need for anything but Android Auto so I did not reroute the rear USB to the front. You'll need the Subaru adapter if you want that. The linked plug fit very securely, but it was short so my connection is inside the unit. Order one like this, but longer if you want to fix that.
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Item: Natika Backup Camera
Purpose: Backup Camera . . . obvious I suppose
Thoughts: This camera seems to do the job at a great price. I don't need great resolution in a backup camera. This style does require a nut on the back to hold it, meaning a bumper removal is best. I personally prefer to remove the bumper because it's very simple and allowed me to do a bumperette delete and some nice cable routing.
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Item: Fakra to RCA Adapter
Purpose: Backup Camera RCA convert to PCCM+ plug
Thoughts: I'm sure there a million of these, but this one worked fine for me. If you're like me, make sure you accidentally throw the first one away with your giant box of stuff from Amazon and force yourself to order a second.
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Item: Android Auto Wireless Adapter
Purpose: Wireless Android Auto (coming out the back to the glove box due to relocation)
Thoughts: This is the third different Android Auto wireless adapter I have used and they've all worked fine. I do like the app for tweaking this one from the phone. It's also very fast to connect which is nice. Obviously buy one for Carplay if you're an Apple user.
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Item: Posi-Taps
Purpose: Tap +12V from the reverse light plug to power the backup camera and signal Pin 6 on the PCCM for reverse
Thoughts: Just needed one to tap off the blue/black reverse wire in the left taillight. I prefer this style to many others. I don't recall the exact gauge, but the smallest tap is the you want.
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Item: MOST Fiber Loops
Purpose: Loop the additional fiber lines that existed.
Thoughts: The PCCM+ includes one loop, but you may need more if you have multiple additional accessories like I had. Can you trace the taps and remove any fiber tees to remove them? Possibly. Worth it? Not likely. Order one for each additional component on the MOST system in your car and loop them.
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Additional Items:

Long zip-tie or a wire coat hanger (For routing the camera video and signal wires up front. I sent the power out from the taillight to the camera. And the same power and video up front using the grommet behind the left taillight, down behind the rear speaker, and under the sill plate.)

Butt connector (For attaching your reverse signal wire to Pin 6. My post prior to this one details how to remove pins. Just borrow the unused one and put it in Pin 6. The DIY has more info.)

Subaru Adapter (As shown in the DIY, this can allow you to run the non-Carply/Android plug to the front. If you don't plan to do USB drives or anything of the sort, just leave it dead and don't worry about this.)

Cypher Bumperette Plate (If you're removing the bumper, go ahead and do some good cleaning in there and also remove the bumperettes.)

Door Sill Trunk Switch (If your frunk or hood release levers are getting play in them, they are going to break. If that's the case, go ahead and replace the switch while you have the sill off to route your camera wire.
997Research Auto Headlight Adapter (You're tearing a bunch of stuff apart anyway. Might as well do this while you're in there. It works great.)

Last edited by CBRich; 01-31-2024 at 06:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CBRich:
babylonboots (02-01-2024), cloud9blue (02-01-2024), JustinCase (02-02-2024), MGT3 (02-10-2024), Spastblast (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 07:30 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBRich
I finally finished my install of the PCCM+ and, with the help of this thread and the DIY, things went perfectly smooth. So thank you to everyone who contributed. For those perusing this thread and considering an install, below is my purchase list. Obviously buy whatever you want, but I had not seen a concise purchase list, so this may help you ensure you have all you need before getting started. Also, I'm aware I could have ended up with the same items for cheaper through Alibaba or locally, but I really didn't want to wait or spend the time driving around. For reference, I have a 997.1 C2S Manual Cabriolet with Bose that had DVD Navigation, Sirius XM, and a Bluetooth phone adapter. The DIY is very good, but feel free to PM me if you have additional questions on stuff. I'll be happy to help. Good luck!

Item: USB A to 1x4 Internal USB Connector (1.25mm Pitch)
Purpose: Reroute USB for Android Auto / Apple Carplay out the back
Thoughts: The DIY explains how to do this. I have no need for anything but Android Auto so I did not reroute the rear USB to the front. You'll need the Subaru adapter if you want that. The linked plug fit very securely, but it was short so my connection is inside the unit. Order one like this, but longer if you want to fix that.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081NX99MV...roduct_details

Purpose: Backup Camera . . . obvious I suppose
Thoughts: This camera seems to do the job at a great price. I don't need great resolution in a backup camera. This style does require a nut on the back to hold it, meaning a bumper removal is best. I personally prefer to remove the bumper because it's very simple and allowed me to do a bumperette delete and some nice cable routing.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H852D49...t_details&th=1

Item: Fakra to RCA Adapter
Purpose: Backup Camera RCA convert to PCCM+ plug
Thoughts: I'm sure there a million of these, but this one worked fine for me. If you're like me, make sure you accidentally throw the first one away with your giant box of stuff from Amazon and force yourself to order a second.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012IAKEPU...roduct_details

Item: Android Auto Wireless Adapter
Purpose: Wireless Android Auto (coming out the back to the glove box due to relocation)
Thoughts: This is the third different Android Auto wireless adapter I have used and they've all worked fine. I do like the app for tweaking this one from the phone. It's also very fast to connect which is nice. Obviously buy one for Carplay if you're an Apple user.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B71XC7VG...roduct_details

Item: Posi-Taps
Purpose: Tap +12V from the reverse light plug to power the backup camera and signal Pin 6 on the PCCM for reverse
Thoughts: Just needed one to tap off the blue/black reverse wire in the left taillight. I prefer this style to many others. I don't recall the exact gauge, but the smallest tap is the you want.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMC5DII...roduct_details

Item: MOST Fiber Loops
Purpose: Loop the additional fiber lines that existed.
Thoughts: The PCCM+ includes one loop, but you may need more if you have multiple additional accessories like I had. Can you trace the taps and remove any fiber tees to remove them? Possibly. Worth it? Not likely. Order one for each additional component on the MOST system in your car and loop them.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KZWP19M...roduct_details

Additional Items:

Long zip-tie or a wire coat hanger (For routing the camera video and signal wires up front. I sent the power out from the taillight to the camera. And the same power and video up front using the grommet behind the left taillight, down behind the rear speaker, and under the sill plate.)

Butt connector (For attaching your reverse signal wire to Pin 6. My post prior to this one details how to remove pins. Just borrow the unused one and put it in Pin 6. The DIY has more info.)

Subaru Adapter (As shown in the DIY, this can allow you to run the non-Carply/Android plug to the front. If you don't plan to do USB drives or anything of the sort, just leave it dead and don't worry about this.)

Cypher Bumperette Plate (If you're removing the bumper, go ahead and do some good cleaning in there and also remove the bumperettes.)

Door Sill Trunk Switch (If your frunk or hood release levers are getting play in them, they are going to break. If that's the case, go ahead and replace the switch while you have the sill off to route your camera wire.
997Research Auto Headlight Adapter (You're tearing a bunch of stuff apart anyway. Might as well do this while you're in there. It works great.)
Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Is this camera AHD 720P? I ask because it doesn't state on the description.

John
Old 02-01-2024, 07:35 PM
CBRich
Rennlist Member

Had to dig around to find this in the description and it matches what the paperwork I got says.

"effective 960*576 pixels"

And that seems about right looking at it on screen. Not great. Not terrible. But I won't hit anything.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:56 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CBRich
Had to dig around to find this in the description and it matches what the paperwork I got says.

"effective 960*576 pixels"

And that seems about right looking at it on screen. Not great. Not terrible. But I won't hit anything.
Great, thank you.

John
Old 02-02-2024, 10:25 PM
ochristofferson
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Just finished installing PCCM+ along with a reverse camera in a 987.1 Cayman. Used the Natika camera as listed above in a modified Option 1 set up. Everything works fine - Back up camera, SXM, Android Auto, AM, FM and USB media. Only issue is that my previously installed mods4cars RemoteKEY module no longer chirps when locking the car. Tried redoing the settings - no go.
Any one have a similar issue or a solution? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:14 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ochristofferson
Just finished installing PCCM+ along with a reverse camera in a 987.1 Cayman. Used the Natika camera as listed above in a modified Option 1 set up. Everything works fine - Back up camera, SXM, Android Auto, AM, FM and USB media. Only issue is that my previously installed mods4cars RemoteKEY module no longer chirps when locking the car. Tried redoing the settings - no go.
Any one have a similar issue or a solution? Thanks.
Was the little 7mm screw on the side of the PCCM tight on your old PCCM or was it loose? I thought at one time porsche was using that as an alarm contact. I think if it is left loose you might get the chirp back because it thinks the radio is gone.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:12 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a Dension Gateway 500 in my 997 in the frunk that had to be PIWIS coded as a CD changer way back when--when I self-installed the PCCM+, there was no coding required. You should be fine.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 PM
ochristofferson
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
Was the little 7mm screw on the side of the PCCM tight on your old PCCM or was it loose? I thought at one time porsche was using that as an alarm contact. I think if it is left loose you might get the chirp back because it thinks the radio is gone.
It was tight n the old one and is still tight on the new PCCM+. I think this is just another theft prevention device

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request