Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 11:42 AM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Select internal microphone in set up menu

Regarding #2 …. Correct - somehow default is set to external mic. You have to change setting in Set Up menu to Internal mic.

I can tell you after maxing out internal mic sensitivity that it’s still crappy at best. I need to instal external mic - just hadn’t had the time to take apart steering column and unsure if that is the best location as well.

all the best!

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I finally got around to installing my PCCM+ and everything went smoothly (except I realized after I got the PCCM+ plugged in that I forgot to remove a CD from my original PCM and had to backtrack in order to get it out ). I also have the issue with the nav card where it doesn't recognize any state alphabetically after NY so I can't get any maps in my home state of PA. I'll call Suncoast about this tomorrow and hopefully I can exchange my card for a working one.

I decided to wait on installing the external microphone as I want to see if I can somehow remove the microphone from its casing and transplant it into the casing from an OEM mic so that I can clip it into the right-hand slot under the steering column cover. I bought a used OEM mic off eBay for $29 so I can fiddle around with that. I also decided to order a new pair of climate control switches from MACarbon so I can replace my sticky and chipped temp and fan speed switches.

I do have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer:

1. Since I'll have to wait a week or two for my mic and the MACarbon switches to arrive, is there any reason I can't just leave the leather and carpet trim pieces I removed to install the PCCM+ off in the meantime? I don't want to have to re-install and re-remove them because I don't want to put the plastic clips through any unnecessary stress. I want to keep my cabin as tight and rattle-free as possible. But will this possibly cause any damage, assuming I don't leave the sunroof open in the rain? I'll probably drive the car 5-6 times in the next two weeks.

2. Some people have mentioned just using the internal microphone in the PCCM+ rather than installing the external mic. But I can't figure out how to do that. I called my wife to test out the phone functionality (my phone was plugged in via USB), but she couldn't hear me unless I was using the speakerphone on my actual phone. So I don't think the internal mic was picking up my voice. Is there a menu that allows me to specify which microphone I want to use? Or maybe the internal mic is only available for bluetooth rather than for CarPlay?
Old 08-02-2023, 11:46 AM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Default Can you elaborate on mic install?

Hello @Jako - can you elaborate on mic install? I maxed out internal mic settings & that is still crappy at best.

Did you instal the external mic inside PCCM+ or steering column? I only see one hole for mic on PCCM+

any pictures would be very helpful (you can just point to where it is installed - not take anything apart)

thanks!

Originally Posted by Jako
There are two mic grills left/right. The left has the OEM mic installed so I wired it on the right side mic position. All you need to do is to remove the PCCM mic top cover and install rightside up in the mic spot. I used electric tape to secur it and ensured I routed the wire to not get pinched.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

@sdharmani I believe he is referring to installation under the steering column cover. If you look at the upper part of the cover (just behind the wheel if you’re sitting in the driver’s seat, there are two vents, one on each side. Beneath the left vent is the OEM mic, held on by a clip inside the cover. There is a clip under the right vent as well. But the mic that comes with the PCCM+ does not fit into this clip as the mic is shaped differently than the OEM mic for which the clip is designed.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:27 PM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Default How is the audio with external mic inside the steering column?

Thanks @Houndstooth.

how is the audio with external mic inside the steering column?

@sdharmani I believe he is referring to installation under the steering column cover. If you look at the upper part of the cover (just behind the wheel if you’re sitting in the driver’s seat, there are two vents, one on each side. Beneath the left vent is the OEM mic, held on by a clip inside the cover. There is a clip under the right vent as well. But the mic that comes with the PCCM+ does not fit into this clip as the mic is shaped differently than the OEM mic for which the clip is designed.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:14 AM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdharmani
Thanks @Houndstooth.

I haven’t tried it yet, but based on some of the comments in this thread, it appears to be better than the internal mic, especially when driving, but not as good as mounting the mic atop the steering column. It’s just a matter of whether you value the sound quality or aesthetics more highly.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:47 AM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Did anyone else order their nav SD card through Suncoast and receive one that doesn't recognize any of the states alphabetically after New York? My nav card has the defect, but when I called Suncoast, they told me they haven't heard anything about such an issue and told me that it's probably a firmware issue with my PCCM+ and that I would need to contact my Porsche dealership about getting an update or, if it is indeed a defective SD card, I would need to go through Porsche to get a warranty replacement.

Has anyone else had success in getting a replacement card through Porsche?
Old 08-03-2023, 11:03 AM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nav SD Cards

I'm still holding my second SD card, obtained via warranty replacement at a dealer (who I purchased the car from, but who is not a Classic dealer). It has the same problem. I relayed my concerns to Porsche Customer Support, who claimed to talk to a different, less local, Porsche Classic dealership about the issue. They also told me that there was a "document" about this issue, but that it could not be shared with customers. When I called said Classic dealer, no one had any idea what I was talking about. As far as I know, my ticket with Customer Support is still open.

I have decided to wait until, I hope, all of the bad cards are flushed out of inventory. I will then go back an attempt to get a second replacement. I will take bets that somehow Porsche will manage to nick me for shop hours to untangle this mess.

Note that the files for states after New York are on the SD card. It's just that the PCCM+ can't seem to find them. It may be a firmware/software issue in the PCCM+ itself. Maybe that is what the "secret document" is all about.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:39 AM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Did anyone else order their nav SD card through Suncoast and receive one that doesn't recognize any of the states alphabetically after New York? My nav card has the defect, but when I called Suncoast, they told me they haven't heard anything about such an issue and told me that it's probably a firmware issue with my PCCM+ and that I would need to contact my Porsche dealership about getting an update or, if it is indeed a defective SD card, I would need to go through Porsche to get a warranty replacement.

Has anyone else had success in getting a replacement card through Porsche?
I got mine from Suncoast as well and they told me to pound sand. Actually I got my PCCM+ from them as well for my 957 and there's a known issue where the CEL comes on - again, they told me they can't help and that I need to work with my local dealership. Ironically, I gave them enough of a hard time about it, that on their site at least for the 955/957 radio it now says installation by dealer is a must. Anyway, back to the SD card... My local dealer couldn't/wouldn't help me either. I ended up calling Gaudin and those guys are great. They stand behind the card and will send out a replacement if the card you get has the New York problem.
Old 08-03-2023, 12:41 PM
ohturtle
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdharmani
Thanks @Houndstooth.

I mounted mine in the middle of the steering column and it wasn't great. I then moved it to the right hand side right below the grill and it works good now.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:18 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

This is definitely a good product, but it has the bugs that many of us expected. I mean, Porsche isn't in the car audio business, and we are lucky that they even offered this, because no manufacturer has even considered anything similar.

The pros and cons are well documented, but the ability to modify the unit to have a rear facing USB is probably the best development this group came up with in my opinion. Tying into the PCM of the car is a big bonus, but were it not for a passionate online group like us, this roll out would have been much more rocky.

I'm still kind of torn between getting a top of the line aftermarket model, or the PCCM+ with the rear facing USB mod. I'm petrified of having some PCM setting issue with an aftermarket head unit installed (IE: DRL's, Door Locks, Etc). Chasing electrical problems is my absolute worst nightmare with any car.

So, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:52 PM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Default Two thumbs up for PCCM+

only big cons for me are:
1. Mic Audio is crappy. I will install external mic & see if that helps
2. MP3 files on usb are all jumbled up. Total cluster mess. Even after using file formatting. So I just use car play.

would have been nice to have wireless CarPlay - but there’s an adapter for that if I ever get to the point. I have a Rennline mount & I use a 12” usb - lightening cable. Keeps it tidy.

intwgration with car has been seamless. Audio quality is same as original. Plug & play. BU futzing around with cutting connectors.

Brings 997 up to date! Highly recommend it over aftermarket. I paid about 1300 approx.

Originally Posted by Bomba
This is definitely a good product, but it has the bugs that many of us expected. I mean, Porsche isn't in the car audio business, and we are lucky that they even offered this, because no manufacturer has even considered anything similar.

The pros and cons are well documented, but the ability to modify the unit to have a rear facing USB is probably the best development this group came up with in my opinion. Tying into the PCM of the car is a big bonus, but were it not for a passionate online group like us, this roll out would have been much more rocky.

I'm still kind of torn between getting a top of the line aftermarket model, or the PCCM+ with the rear facing USB mod. I'm petrified of having some PCM setting issue with an aftermarket head unit installed (IE: DRL's, Door Locks, Etc). Chasing electrical problems is my absolute worst nightmare with any car.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:52 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven’t tried it yet, but based on some of the comments in this thread, it appears to be better than the internal mic, especially when driving, but not as good as mounting the mic atop the steering column. It’s just a matter of whether you value the sound quality or aesthetics more highly.
Hi there,

Correct. I had installed the mic in the right side column mic slot. Whether or not the mic is better there... I would say its neither here or there. The mic is pretty weak and thus I believe you need to change the mic setting in the developer menu. Aside from that. The install is so much cleaner in the column. no windshield distractions/obstacles.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, to correct the issue of low volume and muddled sound. I had installed a new DSP amp and removed all the most25 components. Took out the bose amp and the nav. Installed an audiotech Fischer match amp. Wired to the HIFI speaker outputs of the rear of the pccm. smile could not be any wider!
The following users liked this post:
Steven C. (08-04-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:26 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

dont forget the rear camera!

Originally Posted by Bomba

Old 08-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 87 Posts

Before I tackle this install using this thread... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18600892

Does anyone know if a CDR24 car would just stop after step 3? It doesn't seem like the rest is needed but wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request