997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023 | 01:22 AM
Steve W
Racer

1. Not something I'd worry about. Any more than I worry about my phone, camera, laptop, headphones, or car when the battery drains out.
2. Once everything is soldered, I'd just use reasonable practice to wrap the connections like you would for anything else. Solder shrink tubing is the neatest and all you'd need. I'd worry more about waterproofing a relay setup.
The following users liked this post:
nikandriko (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023 | 06:29 AM
Johnnycakes1
Intermediate

Default Should I attempt?

Reasonably handy.

I’d like to install the pccm+ on my 06 997 cab with. Bose. It currently has an old Bluetooth unit installed, there is a mic on the drivers side A pillar.

I don’t want to mess with the rear camera.

0-10, how technical with this be for me?

Versus how much why an Indy charge me for install?

Thanks!

Last edited by Johnnycakes1; 03-18-2023 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2023 | 02:44 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnnycakes1

I’d like to install the pccm+ on my 06 997 cab with. Bose. It currently has an old Bluetooth unit installed, there is a mic on the drivers side A pillar.

There's no telling how difficult because its not a standard PCM or CDR upgrade.. you have an aftermarket Bluetooth unit and nobody here can predict what you will find in the wiring
Old 03-18-2023 | 02:57 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Reasonably handy.

Thanks!
I had a Mr12V that I had installed so I know how to uninstall it. If it’s something as simple as that then removing the old unit is a piece of cake. Putting the PCCM+ in after is straightforward even with Bose.
Old 03-18-2023 | 02:59 PM
Johnnycakes1
Intermediate

Thanks! Where can I buy a pccm+ and how much should I pay in US?
Old 03-18-2023 | 03:42 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steve W
Going by the pins #s on the above, C2 is currently used for CAN Low Infotainment, and C1 is for CAN High Infotainment. I'm not sure if you can multiplex audio signals with the CAN data. I believe 996 PCCM+ guys tried to convert this section to a line level out but could never figure it out.
i meant for iso connector B , 8-pin

the 20-pin connector has changed over the years
Old 03-18-2023 | 03:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

love it !

Originally Posted by Steve W
Ok understand now, that will work. This is what I was talking about before:

Old 03-18-2023 | 04:41 PM
Steve W
Racer

Originally Posted by myw
i meant for iso connector B , 8-pin

the 20-pin connector has changed over the years
Of course you can use get speaker level connector B do drive line in inputs on an amp, probably with attenuation. boxrCA’s diagram was referencing connector C, 1 to 6, just so anyone else reading this doesn’t get confused. But I can vouch that line out pins at the MOST port is a true L&R line level out. That’s how my amps are driven now

Last edited by Steve W; 03-18-2023 at 04:43 PM.
myw (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023 | 04:54 PM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by nikandriko
With a relay in place, when the triggered ground (pin8) goes OFF, the ACC to the camera should go to 0V. In this setup, I don’t think it matters where the camera gets ground from.
To confirm @nikandriko, you'd have a wire from the reverse light wire going to pin 6 correct? If so, this scenario didn't work based on some testing I just did. Camera didn't get power. Certainly possible I had something off but don't think so. Assume you didn't test this yet right, just throwing out some ideas?
Old 03-18-2023 | 09:07 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Originally Posted by maxw
To confirm @nikandriko, you'd have a wire from the reverse light wire going to pin 6 correct? If so, this scenario didn't work based on some testing I just did. Camera didn't get power. Certainly possible I had something off but don't think so. Assume you didn't test this yet right, just throwing out some ideas?
That’s right, my diagram above is theoretical/untested and it does still require a cable from the rear lights to go to pin6 to trigger the PCCM+ and produce the triggered ground on pin8 (that later part has been thoroughly tested and is observed today in my setup as well).

Last edited by nikandriko; 03-18-2023 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2023 | 09:57 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

where are you located?
Old 03-18-2023 | 09:59 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maxw
Not yet - just got the Fakra to RCA cable delivered today (thanks for your Amazon reference - bought that exact one). Looking more online today, I saw a different camera design (smaller) I want to try - ordered and will have in a couple of days. I'm tempted to try one I have on hand, but thought before cutting/splicing I wanted to make a final decision on what style I want and will probably return the others.

You mentioned you attempted install the camera on your manual, but no luck? How did you go about installing that didn't work? What camera did you try?

A few things I'm wondering - if anyone can shed light would appreciate it - seems at this point we may not have certain answers on these two items:

1. Does the PCCM+ support CVBS 480p only, or also AHD 720p high definition cameras? The cameras I ordered are AHD 720p but you can clip a wire to "downgrade" them to 480p if that is what is supported. The only camera I've seen reported here working is a Rydeen CM-LIP4 which is a 480p camera.
2. What is the trigger wire for a manual/stick? There is a wire on the PCCM+ that goes from the same camera/video out over to what I believe is the canbus connector, so maybe this base is covered and no trigger wire is needed? Maybe this is only supported for a Tiptronic though? If not supported this way on a manual and a trigger wire is needed - I imagine should connect the camera + to a switched or always on circuit and the trigger wire on the camera to a reverse light wire at the rear of the car?
Thanks! Where can I buy a pccm+ and how much should I pay in US?
Where are you located? My local Porsche dealer gave me a PCA discount of 10%
Old 03-18-2023 | 10:28 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Reasonably handy.

Thanks!
I would say it’s a 2/10 difficulty with a few assumptions/discounts:
  1. Not doing the backup camera
  2. Not doing the external microphone
  3. Installing the GPS antenna in an easy location, i.e. underneath the dash
Assuming the above, it should be 1-2 hours.

Obviously any DIY can go south for a number of reasons as others have mentioned.

Maybe the hardest part is
by aligning those ***** with an allen key.

Last edited by nikandriko; 03-18-2023 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2023 | 09:31 AM
Johnnycakes1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brudomen
Where are you located? My local Porsche dealer gave me a PCA discount of 10%
northeast Ohio
Old 03-19-2023 | 02:22 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by nikandriko
I would say it’s a 2/10 difficulty with a few assumptions/discounts:
  1. Not doing the backup camera
  2. Not doing the external microphone
  3. Installing the GPS antenna in an easy location, i.e. underneath the dash
Assuming the above, it should be 1-2 hours.

Obviously any DIY can go south for a number of reasons as others have mentioned.

Maybe the hardest part is taking out the old PCM by aligning those ***** with an allen key.

I wouldn't skip the external mike and it is not difficult or that much more time to do--you can install it as intended by sticking it to the top of the steering column or like many (myself included) putting it inside the steering column cover where the OEM mike resides if you had one, securing it with some double sided tape. When the PCM unit is out running the mike wire is simple--just need something long enough to run it. I didn't have a long zip tie and since a pack of them cost more than $8 at Lowes or Home Depot, I bought a fiberglass set of wire fish rods from Harbor Freight for $8. Taped the mike wire to the end of one section of the wire fish rod kit, and fished it over from the steering column to the radio in about 10 seconds. If I had a coat hanger I wanted to wreck, that would have worked too, but I didn't have any spare hangers laying around my place.

As for those pesky Allen keys that hold the PCM in--FYI, on the driver's side upper left, do yourself a favor and release the other 3 that you can easily get to with an allen wrench and on the fourth just push in on the side where the spring loaded clip is and with that finger on the spring loaded clip, push out while holding the clip in and it comes right out. Wish I had known that trick early on (found it by searching on line; not sure if the install FAQ was updated for that). Lastly, I'm in the camp that put the GPS antenna on the shelf rather than pull off the A pillar trim to put it there or under the windshield cowl.

The hard parts were figured out by all those in this thread above, so it's pretty easy. It is always easier to pay someone to do it for you but this one is not hard by any means. When I did mine, it took longer to get the old unit out for various reasons including that dang Allen key thing, than putting the car back together. There's no way I would pay a dealer what I've read they charge to do this, that I can tell you.

Last edited by Paul S.; 03-19-2023 at 02:24 PM.
nikandriko (03-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request