Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 12:18 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

I know this is a 997 forum, but does anybody know if it will support a 2003 996 Turbo? I checked the OB2 site, but it wasn’t clear to me if my car is supported.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:28 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

It does
The following users liked this post:
ehagendorff (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:58 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by rtl5009
It does
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2020, 09:49 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Has anybody actually used this product for coding? I just installed a PCCM+ into my 996 Turbo, and I would like to code to add a PCM, so that navigation information is displayed in the instrument panel.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:54 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by PV997
That's a paypal fee but you can avoid it by using a virtual credit card number. This is a different number with a limit and expiration you set (I used 30 days and $500) and is a free service most big cards offer. That way you don't have to give them your real card number. I got the number online in seconds from Citi, other cards are similar. It bills to your regular card account.
I am getting ready to order, but there is a $27 charge if I use my CC. So, the fee is either $29 PayPal or $27 CC.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:47 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I am getting ready to order, but there is a $27 charge if I use my CC. So, the fee is either $29 PayPal or $27 CC.
Sorry to hear that. I ordered mine nearly a year ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to pay that back then. I'll add an update to my comment.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:54 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by PV997
Sorry to hear that. I ordered mine nearly a year ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to pay that back then. I'll add an update to my comment.
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:21 AM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to replace a Rear Control Module under the seat for a 2005 987 Boxster. Part number 997.618.260.04 (I can only find 991.618.260.08). I'm not sure if I need that programmed or just swap it in. Do you think this will work (if it needs programming)?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:55 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by assyrianme
I need to replace a Rear Control Module under the seat for a 2005 987 Boxster. Part number 997.618.260.04 (I can only find 991.618.260.08). I'm not sure if I need that programmed or just swap it in. Do you think this will work (if it needs programming)?
I can’t say for certain about a Boxster but in a Panamera, the rear body control module is part of the immobilizer system and can only be changed by the dealer since it requires online programming. In general modules tied to the car have the vin number programmed in them so a simple replacement wont work. If they are not part of the immobilizer network, any PIWIS can do a module change.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:10 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

OK, I have my PIWIS and have only played with it a little... Two tiny annoyances with my 991.1 Turbo S I'd like to 'switch off' if possible.

1. Switch off the seat belt warning light.
2. Switch off the 'automatically engage the parking brake if you put it in gear with the door open'

Anybody know if these can be switched off with the PIWIS?

Of course I don't go driving around with the door open or seatbelt off unless it is a very specific circumstance, but I was reminded several times of both these annoyances yesterday when I was helping out with a car photoshoot... Trying to perfectly align car, put it in gear to inch forward, puts the damn brake on... Some super-slow rolls and stops, seatbelt warning annoyance. I hate nannies like this.

Yes, minor annoyances, I still love my Turbo!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:41 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Is the WLAN connection worth enabling? I was trying to figure out if it would be useful for something. I guess it used to connect wirelessly to the PIWIS instead of the USB cable? I am not even sure my PIWIS has a WiFi card.

Anybody try this feature yet?

Last edited by mffarrell; 11-29-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:20 PM
Eric Buckley
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PIWIS II Stops Working in 2021! - Happy New Year?

I have found that the PIWIS software in the VirtualBox based VM that many are using to control their PIWIS boxes will hang at the "Loading ODX Data" stage and never connect to the car once the date in the VM changes to 2021. Simulation mode is affected too.

I had been having problems with my PIWIS over the past few days. I made some progress but was getting stuck at the "Loading ODX Data" stage (which should only last for a few seconds). It occurred to me to wonder about the date. I found that if I set the date of my VM back to 2020 (I set it back exactly 1 year to Jan. 2020) then PIWIS will complete loading! If you are using the VirtualBox VM method I followed steps from this link to stop the VM time from being locked to the host machine time:
https://medoix.com/2019/01/25/preven...ime-with-host/

I used these steps:
Once installed and started, the VirtualBox Guest Additions will try to synchronize the guest time with the host time. This can be prevented by forbidding the guest service from reading the host clock:
Code:
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1
To run the above command open CMD.exe as Administrator.

Navigate to the VirtualBox folder on your machine
Code:
cd C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox
Then enter the command as seen above (replacing VM name with the name of the virtual machine you wish to effect).

The guest will now not sync with the host

Then I manually set the time back inside the VM by one year and PIWIS worked again. I tested a few times and it really does seem to be calendar related. With the steps above the VM will be back to the real (after 2020) time following each boot and will need to have the time manually set back to 2020 or earlier. There is probably a tidier approach to fixing this, but you can try disabling the VM-to-host time sync and manually changing the year and see if that lets you use your PIWIS again. If I just 'Suspend' the VM, it comes back with the date (2020) that I had set. Hopefully someone comes up with a "standard" way to deal with this seemingly new issue.

Last edited by Eric Buckley; 01-02-2021 at 11:22 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-04-2021, 08:33 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Looks like you can do that per VM by editing their config:
  1. Find the location where your Virtual Machine is stored. You can do this by right clicking on the machine from the list in the VirtualBox Manager and selecting Show in Explorer
Name:  NjPtZ.png
Views: 858
Size:  79.9 KB
  1. Backup the file called yourVMname.vbox
  2. Open the file in a text editor and navigate to the
    Code:
    <ExtraData>
    element which should contain a list of
    Code:
    ExtraDataItem
    elements
  3. Add the following item to the list:
    Code:
    <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" value="1"/>

https://superuser.com/questions/9840...-in-virtualbox
Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I want to thank everyone for all the great info within this thread and the Planet 9 guys for the VM instructions. Especially, PV997 who answered lots of my questions and helped me get up and running. I ended up ordering from OBD2market. I received my device and it is - as everyone has said, it is very well built. After resolving some initial trouble getting the cable drivers to load, it is up and running. Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to run much faster than the simulation mode. Anyway, Thanks again for the help, I already downloaded the VAL and the first job on the list is to change the PDK clutch fluid.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:44 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 on the thanks to PV997; I just received my PIWIS 2 and it is working fine on my 2004 Cayenne TT (even though it says 2005 and up only) and my 2007 997.1T. Two questions at this point, if anyone knows.

- everything works fine the first time I run the software on the virtual machine, but the second time I run it the PIWIS software wants to imprint the cable. Planet-9 has a protocol to do this, but I found if you just re-install the PIWIS VM it works again without having to imprint. I would rather not have to write anything to the box (paranoid perhaps), so I just reinstall the VM each time I use it – only takes a few minutes. Do most people here imprint their PIWIS 2? Btw I am not making a VAL at this point.

- I searched but can’t find any clear instructions on how to reset the engine adaptations; with my CTT and VAG-COM cable when you clear errors in the engine control module it also resets the learned fuel trim, maps etc. adaptations, but I can’t see a place to do this with the PIWIS 2. I actually have no error codes in the 997 (a first for me with any vehicle!) so the reset option is greyed out. With VCDS you can reset the control module even if there are no codes which does the adaptation reset. But how do people reset adaptations with the PIWIS if there are no errors?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone