997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020 | 02:37 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Perfect, thanks for the info PV997. I was concerned with the PIWIS2 issues in that thread, and I have installed the VM and although it runs fine at first (simulation mode), I was having the no-boxes problem even with an older version of VMware. But those I am sure can be sorted out, and it seems the unit sold by obd2tool has good reviews. I have no intention of ever buying a brand new Porsche, and clunky or slow interfaces are fine for me given the goal, so I think the 2 will be the way to go.

For the PIWIS3 I was looking at it not so much from getting one of the packages out there, but rather getting a $60 VAS6154 clone from AliExpress, which can then be flashed to work like a PT3G by someone on MHHAuto for $120. Then use the disk image of PIWIS3 that's out there on a laptop and Bob's your uncle. Or not.

I don't want this so much to customize anything, I just want to be able to replace my battery or rear rotors or whatever else and not have to go to a dealer and have them charge me for working on my own vehicle.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2020 | 09:50 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
Perfect, thanks for the info PV997. I was concerned with the PIWIS2 issues in that thread, and I have installed the VM and although it runs fine at first (simulation mode), I was having the no-boxes problem even with an older version of VMware. But those I am sure can be sorted out, and it seems the unit sold by obd2tool has good reviews. I have no intention of ever buying a brand new Porsche, and clunky or slow interfaces are fine for me given the goal, so I think the 2 will be the way to go.

For the PIWIS3 I was looking at it not so much from getting one of the packages out there, but rather getting a $60 VAS6154 clone from AliExpress, which can then be flashed to work like a PT3G by someone on MHHAuto for $120. Then use the disk image of PIWIS3 that's out there on a laptop and Bob's your uncle. Or not.

I don't want this so much to customize anything, I just want to be able to replace my battery or rear rotors or whatever else and not have to go to a dealer and have them charge me for working on my own vehicle.

Thanks again.
Hey Zak - I'm always open to new (and cheap) things and the sentence I bolded above caught my attention. Can you give me more details or send me a PM if you don't want to post it here? If there are inexpensive alternatives I'd love to play around with them (though I'm not going to send bitcoin to a stranger). Nice thing about the PIWIS 2 is it's a known entity with a track record.

Completely agree with your comments on service. I did a PDK clutch fluid change a few weeks ago and it went flawlessly. Total cost was $80 for fluid.

BTW, the disappearing menus on the PIWIS 2 are a bit of a pain but they can be avoided. First off, always close the VM with the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the window, this will shut down the VM directly rather than using PIWIS's internal shut down process (via the menus). There is something wonky when PIWIS closes itself and updates config files that will make all the menus disappear. Second, don't play around with the "tester imprint" and associated menus as this will cause four of the menus to disappear. You can always delete the VM and reload it if you forget and they disappear. By following these steps above religiously I've never had them disappear since it first happened.

I reviewed a Vehicle Analysis Log on my car recently (I had ran it before but couldn't figure out where PIWIS had stored it). Everyone should do this and flip through this amazing document that has to be a hundred pages long. Biggest surprise for me was that I found out my PDK had its software updated in 2012 and had been recalibrated in 2014. Couple of other interesting tidbits is that according to the log my car has never been driven with the check engine light on (hard to believe). Also, the number of misfires recorded over the car's life was in the single digits for all six cylinders. Amazing all the stuff that's in there.
Old 10-14-2020 | 12:06 PM
stumble_t
Rennlist Member

For those that have had difficulty Loading PIWIS with VirtualBox 6.1.14 and MacOS Catalina, This thread helped me:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=99762

TLDR; Disabling the audio driver in VirtualBox allowed me to successfully load and run the PIWIS.ova

Old 10-14-2020 | 02:22 PM
ehagendorff
Advanced

After reading this thread and setting up the VM in simulation mode to get a little bit familiar with the various screens (and creating the initial snapshots and saving state each time). I ordered my hardware last week and received it about 30 minutes ago. Will be hooking to the car ASAP to read various modules. Looking forward to using it! I will be clearing the 'Service Now' message, scanning my passenger door for a problem with the '1/4" auto drop not returning to up, and now....scanning for my decklid latch as it is currently stuck open or 'popped' (spring tension if i press on it and won't latch'. Hopefully I find a few things. Also interested to pull the DME off the car. My first and only Porsche. Took delivery in July. Looking forward to learning more and enjoy it for a lifetime.

Thanks to everyone for their advice/knowledge in this thread so far.

Eric
The following users liked this post:
158Sierra (06-29-2022)
Old 10-15-2020 | 02:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehagendorff
...I ordered my hardware last week and received it about 30 minutes ago. Will be hooking to the car ASAP to read various modules. Looking forward to using it!
Let us know which vendor/version you purchased once you verify it is all running? Link would be great! I've successfully set up the simulator and ready to buy the hardware.

Old 10-15-2020 | 03:29 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

I had this up and running with the VM machine and PeeWee from OBD2.market (w/o software) in under an hour. And it WORKS!
Old 10-15-2020 | 04:45 PM
ehagendorff
Advanced

Originally Posted by pfbz
Let us know which vendor/version you purchased once you verify it is all running? Link would be great! I've successfully set up the simulator and ready to buy the hardware.
I ordered from VXDAS. USB Device reports as a Semtec device. I can grab exact details next time I have it connected.

I got it connected to the car but receive 'turn ignotion on and repeat process' when trying to read/transition to a module (such as for a DME report). I turn my key to 'on' (dash lights all come on and climate etc...) Still receiving 'turn ignition on' messages. The other strange thing that happened to me yesterday was my decklid would not close (stayed 'popped' and had spring tension under it). Did not close with the ignition 'on' or off...closed once I started the engine. Almost seems like my ignition isn't 'on' until I turn the engine over..which is very strange to me.

Definitely looking fwd to getting down to scanning my car for some issues here soon though.

Eric
Old 10-15-2020 | 08:31 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I also went with obd2.market mainly based on price (about $400 shipped) and the recommendation from the Planet 9 thread. No complaints, works great and got it within a week. It also reports as a Samtec.

I don't get what you are seeing ehagendorff but mine is a 997.2 so it may be different. Does your PIWIS connect the car to the computer okay with it in ignition on (not started)?
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:11 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

The one off obd2 market is practically the real thing. Every little detail is the same including the color of the anodizing on the plug.

if you hold it you do not know it’s a knock off once you remove the Chinese QC sticker lol.
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:27 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Trying to order one from obd2.market right now... $360 for the device, $38 for fast shipping ($14 slow shipping), but when I check out on paypal, it throws another $29 "transaction fee" on top. Does this sound right? Did you guys pay through paypal?
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:30 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Yes mine was 425 out the door
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:42 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rtl5009
Yes mine was 425 out the door
Thanks, just ordered.
Old 10-15-2020 | 11:54 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pfbz
Trying to order one from obd2.market right now... $360 for the device, $38 for fast shipping ($14 slow shipping), but when I check out on paypal, it throws another $29 "transaction fee" on top. Does this sound right? Did you guys pay through paypal?
That's a paypal fee but you can avoid it by using a virtual credit card number. This is a different number with a limit and expiration you set (I used 30 days and $500) and is a free service most big cards offer. That way you don't have to give them your real card number. I got the number online in seconds from Citi, other cards are similar. It bills to your regular card account.

UPDATE: mffarrel commented below that when using a credit card they are now dinging him for a $27 fee so it looks like this trick doesn't work anymore. He reports Paypal is only a $29 fee so unless you really need the two bucks you may as well use them.

Last edited by PV997; 11-12-2020 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stumble_t (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020 | 01:02 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
That's a paypal fee but you can avoid it by using a virtual credit card number. This is a different number with a limit and expiration you set (I used 30 days and $500) and is a free service most big cards offer. That way you don't have to give them your real card number. I got the number online in seconds from Citi, other cards are similar. It bills to your regular card account.
A couple fo hours too late for this transaction, but yeah, I definitely didn't want to use my real card number. I'll check into that for next time, I also have a Citi Visa.
Old 10-16-2020 | 10:28 AM
ehagendorff
Advanced

Originally Posted by PV997
I also went with obd2.market mainly based on price (about $400 shipped) and the recommendation from the Planet 9 thread. No complaints, works great and got it within a week. It also reports as a Samtec.

I don't get what you are seeing ehagendorff but mine is a 997.2 so it may be different. Does your PIWIS connect the car to the computer okay with it in ignition on (not started)?
Thanks for the quick reply! Mine is a .1 car. It appears the PIWIS does connect to the car with ignition on not started, but doesn't register as 'on'.

Connect OBD plug
Key turned dash lights on/reading oil lvl/climate fans going
Connect USB
Verify device passed to VM
Select diagnostics 911 997
Select module in software
'ignition off, please turn on ignition and repeat procedure'
Hit back
Select module
Same message about ignition off.

Very strange I also noticed I couldn't close my engine bay deck lid yesterday until I started my engine which I found very strange. Ignition off, ignition on, it just bounced/stayed popped. Startup and close with it running.

It's almost as if the car isn't registering the ignition on state, but dash lights oil read climate etc all happen like normal so it's definitely 'working'

I have not had time to go back out and dig in so I can report back if I find out more.

Appreciate it!

Eric

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone