Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:29 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 121 Posts

Parallels can work but the image will have to converted to a compatible format so it can be imported. The VM was made on VirtualBox so I personally would recommend using it instead.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Also, pay heed to my post above about the versioning issue with VBox that jacks with the VM's profile saving. So long as you follow it you'll never have any issues.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16587038
The following users liked this post:
masiff (02-22-2022)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:30 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=subaru335i;16631654]What exactly do you mean by programming 20 modules? Just like coding a new value in after swapping battery/injectors etc?

why do you need a 55A charger to program? I have a 10A charger is that not sufficient? I have a bigger H8 AGM battery and with a 10A charger I feel like it could maintain voltage for a long time without the engine running...

Does writing to the ecu really take that long? I have tuned/programmed BMWs tons of times without it even connected to a charger.[/Most of the main modules in the car have the VIN programmed into them. Without it, they won’t function. Also you need to put your cars options into the modules. When you do automatic programming, it does just that. Finally if you plan to use used modules, you need to be able to change the vin and reprogram the modules for your options. I have 40 amp charger and it is only sufficient for an hour. With the key on, a Panamera draws a lot of power. Other cars with less modules draw less. Certainly you can likely program a module without a charger but many car tech sites don’t recommend it
Old 05-16-2020, 07:45 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Writing to the ECU doesn't take long at all. Honestly, I done all of my recoding with the car on. It' never been a problem.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Interesting thread.,,

I have a durametric enthusiast and a hand-held porsche specific scanner (foxwell 530) but having real piwis capability would be awesome.

I also love that there is a turn-key virtual machine file. One of the biggest hassles of running some of these ancient VB/Windoze automotive applications is getting a clean XP OS load to begin with.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 11:12 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Interesting thread.,,

I have a durametric enthusiast and a hand-held porsche specific scanner (foxwell 530) but having real piwis capability would be awesome.

I also love that there is a turn-key virtual machine file. One of the biggest hassles of running some of these ancient VB/Windoze automotive applications is getting a clean XP OS load to begin with.
yeah I am about to do an oil change and just replaced the battery in my 991 so was looking at buying a durametric, foxwell, Autel 808 pro, icarsoft, icarscan etc
I will eventually want to do brakes and PDK fluid, and who knows what else (plus plan to eventually get another Porsche) so it looks to me the PIWIS is by far the best bang for your buck.
It’s half the price of the durametric pro without a tablet or computer.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:14 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

the piwis clone is 300 usd?? thats dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by subaru335i
I will eventually want to do brakes and PDK fluid, and who knows what else (plus plan to eventually get another Porsche) so it looks to me the PIWIS is by far the best bang for your buck.
It’s half the price of the durametric pro without a tablet or computer.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:18 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

150$ fox well 530 can do these functions.

Originally Posted by 318touring
This includes activating a new cruise control, which should be easy and simple. Not if you don't have the latest PIWIS. Want to change your PDK oil? Yep, need PIWIS again.

Sometimes corporations did things to just make more and more money.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:36 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

What exactly do you mean by programming 20 modules? Just like coding a new value in after swapping battery/injectors etc?
No I believe he has had experience changing the coding values in all/various 997 computer modules - for which their are approximately 20 of them.

Originally Posted by PV997
That's good to read but how do you save your settings? I'd love to make a logfile that reads the ECU and saves the set value for every modifiable parameter but have not been able to figure out how to do it. Something like a restore to factory defaults file would be nice.
the durmetric Pro had a save values to excel Csv function i recall, it never worked. Nonetheless - what i did was save all coding settings the old fashion way - go into every module (about 20 of them total), and take a picture with your phone of all the coding settings (and dump these images in PIWIS coding folder on your phone). also send them to your cloud/laptop etc. as a backup.

These coding backup settings have saved my a$$ (and other friends) a few times when we get coding happy and screw things up - but we always knew EXACTLY how to code every module back to its original settings. There have been reported incidents on RL where a 997 owner was asking for coding settings from modules of our cars, since the dealer screwed them all up (cant recall how).... one way or another having a back up of your settings (even as photos), will come in handy. Think of it as a vehicle handover, the slow & manual way.

PV, great thread man - I am following along - props to what you're doing.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:38 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
the piwis clone is 300 usd?? thats dirt cheap.
$350 plus shipping.

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-6933-...Tester+II.html

Im kind of debating getting the PIWIS 3 clone instead. We also have a 2019 Macan which I don't think can be programmed with PIWIS 2.

Looks like you can get PIWIS 3 from aliexpress etc for like $700 without the computer and like $1300 with the computer...

The following 2 users liked this post by subaru335i:
boschdienst (10-05-2023), myw (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:30 PM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Keys?

$350 plus shipping.

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-6933-...Tester+II.html

Im kind of debating getting the PIWIS 3 clone instead. We also have a 2019 Macan which I don't think can be programmed with PIWIS 2.

Looks like you can get PIWIS 3 from aliexpress etc for like $700 without the computer and like $1300 with the computer...
Has anyone tried to program new keys using one of these PIWIS clones? I would love to be able to make a new key to have as a backup...for less than the dealer.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:19 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

The dealer key replacement cost is nearly criminal...
Old 05-18-2020, 09:35 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw
Has anyone tried to program new keys using one of these PIWIS clones? I would love to be able to make a new key to have as a backup...for less than the dealer.
Reasonably certain a PIWIS needs a connection to mother Porsche to do this kind of programming from scratch. The PIWIS clone suppliers offer to connect to your device for $150 per module (including one called a key module) where they somehow do this. It looks sketchy to me on many levels, I don't know for sure but I suspect they have some sort of bootleg connection via a dealer in China. Plus you have to grant them remote access to your PC to run the programming.

Personally I don't have any issue with using a PIWIS clone for non-commercial use one your own and friend's cars (I'm doing it myself), but this is too over the top for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by PV997:
bloomjbmw (05-19-2020), scadams (05-18-2020), Steve Theodore (08-08-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:00 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

As a fellow PIWIS cloner, I 100% agree with PV.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 AM
subaru335i
Instructor

Reasonably certain a PIWIS needs a connection to mother Porsche to do this kind of programming from scratch. The PIWIS clone suppliers offer to connect to your device for $150 per module (including one called a key module) where they somehow do this. It looks sketchy to me on many levels, I don't know for sure but I suspect they have some sort of bootleg connection via a dealer in China. Plus you have to grant them remote access to your PC to run the programming.

Personally I don't have any issue with using a PIWIS clone for non-commercial use one your own and friend's cars (I'm doing it myself), but this is too over the top for me.
I have been reading and it seems like another option is buying the Launch X431 tools which look like they can do most/all of the same coding and diagnostics as PIWIS and even now works for 2018+ cars so is like PIWIS 3.

do you have any experience with the Launch x431 products? Is there anything PIWIS can do that the x431 can’t?
The PIWIS development/engineer mode is needed for coding and it sounds like it’s only in German and hard to use, where coding in x431 is all in English and looks a bit easier to use.

the x431 is a little more $ but also works with any car manufacturer so is much more versatile.
last night I as real close to buying the PIWIS but now I’m not so sure which is better
Old 05-19-2020, 08:55 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Agreed

I have to agree. It’s not worth the risks if it has to be done as you describe.

oh well...

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone