Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:14 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Zakowsky - I did not have to imprint the cable. Before you start the Piwis program, did you replace the "X" in the validationstring to 9999 in the praegung.xml file?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:14 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Someone made a comment on planet9 regarding the date issue (2021) and that setting it back to 2020 could cause issues if using it to reset a oil service reminder because the cars date is current ? Anyone know. I just got my piwis 2 last month to do my rear brakes (parking brake service) and would hate that I can reset service reminders now with it after dropping $400
Old 01-06-2021, 12:15 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
Zakowsky - I did not have to imprint the cable. Before you start the Piwis program, did you replace the "X" in the validationstring to 9999 in the praegung.xml file?
Thanks Phrog – I’m glad I didn’t imprint it then! I did replace the X with 9999, and went through all the connection steps and it worked perfectly the first time. So, connect the hardware to the car, then to the laptop with VirtualBox running but not the PIWIS virtual machine started. It made the USB connection sound and found the Samtec HSX device which I added to the PIWIS VM. Then start the PIWIS VM, you get the USB unplugged sound, and it then finds the hardware, installs drivers and the program runs fine. I shut down by just powering down the VM, as recommended on Planet 9. Next time I get the USB connection sound and the Samtec appears again in the VM settings, but when I start the PIWIS VM I don’t get the USB unplugged sound and no drivers are installed, presumably because they are already there. Then when I run the PIWIS program it does not connect to the hardware when I start Diagnostics, and when I check it says the hardware must be imprinted. Maybe I have too new a version of VirtualBox, I think I saw somewhere that that can cause issues. I am using the V18.150 VM from P9.

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
Someone made a comment on planet9 regarding the date issue (2021) and that setting it back to 2020 could cause issues if using it to reset a oil service reminder because the cars date is current ? Anyone know. I just got my piwis 2 last month to do my rear brakes (parking brake service) and would hate that I can reset service reminders now with it after dropping $400
That is a very good point, I definitely had to set the clock back to 2020 to get past the ODX loading screen. But from what I recall from figuring out how to do the reset manually with a VAG-COM on my CTT you can change the reminders to “Flexible Intervals” that were mileage based, and the date on the laptop never made a difference. But I don’t know for sure.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:07 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
That is a very good point, I definitely had to set the clock back to 2020 to get past the ODX loading screen. But from what I recall from figuring out how to do the reset manually with a VAG-COM on my CTT you can change the reminders to “Flexible Intervals” that were mileage based, and the date on the laptop never made a difference. But I don’t know for sure.
Ah I hope I can do that on the 981 change to mileage based interval vs time.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:44 PM
Grumpnasty
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a cheap Foxwell scanner on Amazon for $200 or so. In diagnostic mode it will read transmission data like temperature, clutch pressure and shaft position. It will not reset the maintenance required light however it will clear all codes.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:20 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

For 997 owners the PIWIS 2 seems to be the choice, and PIWIS 3 version not needed(?) I've been using VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro and Durametric but have had issues with VM/Windows losing sync having to restart. If that happened in the middle of coding it could be disastrous.
So I am worried about going this route and will look into turnkey systems from these vendors. I noticed some vendors offer a Panasonic laptop version which is what dealers used at some point, and a tablet version which I assume is Android operating system-

Is the tablet turnkey system the better choice? I'm also comparing the option of going with the Launch X431, and by doing so I would get something that works with many different cars. For my Audi S3 I already use obdeleven on a tablet, and it has been very good for a fraction of the price. Owning modern cars means you need a diagnostic tool.
So now I'm deciding between a turnkey PIWIS or the X431.
Anyone with experience, thanks for your input.
JB
Old 01-08-2021, 12:51 AM
Eric Buckley
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for this, but running the command in the original link:
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1
a single time seems to automatically make the change you suggest below to the .vbox file, at least on my computer. This command, or entry in the .vbox file, does prevent the VM from periodically syncing to the host time, and so you can keep the date you set. However, when the VM boots it still needs to get the time from somewhere and it seems to get it from the host, and so you need to set the date back after the boot.

Myself, I pretty much never need to reboot the VM, though. I just leave the main PIWIS application running (I close the "Diagnostics" program that actually communicates with the PIWIS box), and close the window with the VM in it. When I close the window, VirtualBox asks if I want to "Save the machine state" and I click OK. Then next time it comes back ready to just launch the Diagnostics and the time and date are the same as when the State was saved, and it also starts up faster than booting.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Looks like you can do that per VM by editing their config:
  1. Find the location where your Virtual Machine is stored. You can do this by right clicking on the machine from the list in the VirtualBox Manager and selecting Show in Explorer
  1. Backup the file called yourVMname.vbox
  2. Open the file in a text editor and navigate to the
    Code:
    <ExtraData>
    element which should contain a list of
    Code:
    ExtraDataItem
    elements
  3. Add the following item to the list:
    Code:
    <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" value="1"/>

https://superuser.com/questions/9840...-in-virtualbox
Old 01-08-2021, 11:02 PM
Eric Buckley
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want your VM to restart from the same time and date as when you shut down or rebooted, and not sync to the host, you can use the steps below. You can then set your date to 2020 and the VM time will only move forward for as long as you have the VM running.

1.Disable the time sync of your virtual machine:

1.1 Disable Host to Guest Timesync
Code:
VBoxManage setextradata <YOUR_VM_NAME> "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1

VBoxManage setextradata <YOUR_VM_NAME> "VBoxInternal/TM/TSCTiedToExecution" 1
To revert back:
Code:
VBoxManage setextradata <YOUR_VM_NAME> "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 0
1.2 Disable GuestAddition Timesync

Use the regedit.exe to modify the registry.

Find this branch: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VBoxService

Change the value in
Code:
ImagePath
from
Code:
system32\VBoxService.exe
to
Code:
system32\VBoxService.exe --disable-timesync
Restart your VM or restart the service "VirtualBox Guest Additions Service".

2.Disable the time sync of Windows.

Check the time settings. Disable internet time sync.

Found at: https://superuser.com/questions/7429...time-if-so-how
Old 01-09-2021, 01:46 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Originally Posted by JB911
Is the tablet turnkey system the better choice? I'm also comparing the option of going with the Launch X431, and by doing so I would get something that works with many different cars. For my Audi S3 I already use obdeleven on a tablet, and it has been very good for a fraction of the price. Owning modern cars means you need a diagnostic tool. So now I'm deciding between a turnkey PIWIS or the X431. Anyone with experience, thanks for your input. JB
So having just purchased the PWIS 2 (sufficient for the 997) clone, and having lots of experience with other diagnostic software and computers in general, I wouldn’t quite call even the complete PIWIS systems from China “turnkey” – they are running hacked software on old Win XP machines, and there is always room for problems. The date issue that people are talking about for example. And I wouldn't call PIWIS intuitive in general, and vendor support is going to be minimal. I don’t know the Launch X431 software, but I would guess it is going to be functionally limited compared to the PIWIS 2 but a much easier user experience.

Originally Posted by Eric Buckley
Myself, I pretty much never need to reboot the VM, though. I just leave the main PIWIS application running (I close the "Diagnostics" program that actually communicates with the PIWIS box), and close the window with the VM in it. When I close the window, VirtualBox asks if I want to "Save the machine state" and I click OK. Then next time it comes back ready to just launch the Diagnostics and the time and date are the same as when the State was saved, and it also starts up faster than booting.
Just want to +1 to this point, as it caused me grief. On Planet 9 there is a thread that recommends just shutting down the power to the VM rather than saving the state - if I do that my cable gets messed up and I have to reinstall the VM from scratch. Saving the machine state (after closing the Diagnostics program that is launched from the main menu) will successfully re-establish communication with the cable on the next start up.

For the date issue, I just set the host date to 2020 because it is a dedicated laptop/tablet for PIWIS. But whatever method of setting the date back when running PIWIS, the main issue will be does the software write the date to the Instrument Control Module, or does it just write the days until service needed. On the Cayenne anyway there are many such counters, Fixed Interval Service, Flexible Interval Service, and then there is the difference between Service and Inspection (which has to be tied to time/days). But all these things can be coded into the Instrument module, so if the normal Service indicator reset in the PIWIS doesn’t work at some point, there is likely a way to directly code the values into the module.

My service indicator should come on soon so I will post how it goes.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:40 AM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zakowsky

My service indicator should come on soon so I will post how it goes.
Looking forward to hear how it goes.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:52 PM
greymda
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

do you guys use VAS6154 with Piwis 3 anyone?
Old 01-13-2021, 04:28 PM
KlausS98
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yo .. also hit by the Y2K21 PIWIS Bug .. thanks to this forum and planet-9 its up and running and here is the easy way out for the non tec inclined .. As long as your system is Windows based and your PIWIS VM is named PIWIS this should be smooth sailing .. Just copy this into any batch file (i.e. piwis.bat) on the system your Piwis is running from, start it, enjoy, Thanks

@echo off

rem 2021 PIWIS VM Configuration - Should work on Windows + VM named PIWIS
rem Thx to www.andysblog.de/virtualbox-zeit-synchronisation-deaktivieren

set VMname=PIWIS
set VMdate=09/01/2019

set VBoxPath=C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox

rem Date-Difference today to defined date

powershell ([datetime]'%VMdate%' - [datetime]::Now) | find "TotalMilliseconds :" > temp.txt

set /p MS=< temp.txt
del temp.txt /q

rem cut Variable ("TotalMilliseconds :" and delete after,)

set MS=%MS:~20,-5%

rem Time-Sync with host disable

"%VBoxPath%\VBoxManage" setextradata "%VMname%" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1

rem set Offset

"%VBoxPath%\VBoxManage" modifyvm "%VMname%" --biossystemtimeoffset "%MS%"

rem start virtual machine

"%VBoxPath%\VBoxManage" startvm "%VMname%"
Old 01-13-2021, 09:15 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

This vendor has the PIWIS III with Lenovo laptop, free shipping-
https://www.uobdii.com/wholesale/por...-software.html
Others have the Lenovo Yoga, not sure which one is better(?)
Still considering X431 Torque or the new Turbo
Old 01-14-2021, 03:05 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Originally Posted by greymda
do you guys use VAS6154 with Piwis 3 anyone?
I was following the discussion on MMH but when I contacted the companies that were selling VAS6154’s none of them thought it would work. The complete laptop/cable kits probably work because they are pre-hacked, but to set it up yourself seemed too sketchy. Just got a PIWIS 2 instead, which is fine for a 997.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:14 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Klaus - The .bat file works very nicely - Thanks
Do you know why the 997 and 996 have the Y2K21 issue but the 991 launches without any trouble?

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 01-14-2021 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone