Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:40 AM
Hackybear
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't use a VM, it looks like the error has occurred since January on all configs. i only ordered the software and the tester including cables. the ssd did not boot on my Lenovo T400. support unable to solve the problem. send only the message: everything is ok here in the lab !!. if there are problems with china then you have to rely on yourself or the forum. I solved the problem by ordering an EVG7. SSD boot was ok but costs money again and then came the 2k21 problem. supplier can say a lot about the support, but china is a long way from USA and europe.
Wilfried
Old 02-15-2021, 01:04 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

And even if the vendor claims it will work 2021 only a working one would confirm it-and there are quite a few vendors
Old 02-20-2021, 11:38 PM
CayenneCurious
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Please bear with this analogy...

You spent the last 2-3 years writing a software program that would be used by professionals in your industry. You set the price competitively for $500. You spend thousands of your own money in marketing. You release it January and it starts selling very well. By March, you're notified by a colleague that apparently a Chinese company has ripped off the code and reselling the software for just $50 each. They've robbed ever square inch of your work. Sales drop and not long after that, you notice that Chinese copies are circulating the forums. People are jumping on the $50 deal and unfortunately, that has left you with nothing.

How would that make you feel? What would be your next steps? Do you think there is some responsibility on the hands of the end users that are buying the illegal copies?

Well, if you think not, I would love to point some of students to you that thought it was okay to use Napster. All of them were caught on campus and put in prison. That's a fact. I could give you many more examples - videos, text books, etc. On and on it goes. All the perpetrators had the opinion of the OP. That is.. "How dare them screw me over with a $200 text book!!! I'll just use the Main Library's copying machines and make my own textbooks!" Famous last words of a copyright thief.

And folks, just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I'm out to get the OP or be a troll. I just don't always follow the same drum beat on every issue, no reason to cry foul.

Last time I asked, service centers had to pay $20,000 per year for a single license to the PIWIS system. Apparently, the new versions have to connect the PIWIS device to a main portal for authentication every time it's used.

Peace!
Dude, All my friends used napster. None of them went to prison. Cheer up.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:58 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone know how to do an DME over rev report with the PIWIS II?
Old 03-05-2021, 12:56 PM
Eric Buckley
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Control Unit Selection: DME (DFI)->Actual values input signals->Engine Data->F12
Old 03-05-2021, 02:06 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I can't recall if there's been confirmation from anyone that bought a Piwis III laptop since Jan 2021 and that the date works set to the current year. If I do decide to get one I will request in writing that it works set to 2021.
I just had a surprise malfunction with a control-valve on my 2011 GT3. It controls the disc valve which opens and closes depending on ambient temperature/cold start. I made a thread detailing it. The Getrag transmission has it's own cooling system and engine coolant goes through it. With a cold engine the disc valve prevents flow until the engine reaches normal/optimum temperature, then opens to allow coolant to flow through. The 12V control-valve enables and prevents vacuum from activating the disc valve's diaphragm.
To diagnose this I spent days reading posts from various sites. There was a PCNA bulletin describing disc valve failure(they're cheap, $17 from certain vendors and the valve is a relic from the 928 and also used on Mercedes cars)

So my worthless Durametric detected nothing, and once in a while VMWare Fusion freaked out and I had to restart it, a nightmare. The only sign something was wrong was a CEL. No fault codes on Durametric.
Once I dove under the car to see if the disc valve was ok, I took out the control-valve and could immediately see green corrosion on the terminals. Connected my Ctek as 12V power source and the valve was dead. Took out another control-valve from the engine bay(car has 6 I believe, 991s have 8)
With the 12V touching the terminals you can hear the valve click

Got a new valve from P dealer with a discount which was still $20 more than online, but I didn't want the shipping and waiting.
I bet the Launch X431 Torque or Turbo or Piwis would have identified the dead control-valve from the other 5.

But it was sure satisfying to test it the old fashion way with a 12V source. Car is now warming up to normal temp like it should. With the dead valve it was taking 15 or maybe 20 minutes to reach temp since the disc valve was allowing coolant through the transmission cooler when it's not supposed to.

Arrow points to the disc valve, and here's the control-valve:

Apparently the 991 cars have a newer control-valve with more failures and replacement under warranty, sometimes all 8 of them.

Here's my detailed thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...isc-valve.html

Last edited by JB911; 03-05-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:57 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneCurious
Dude, All my friends used napster. None of them went to prison. Cheer up.
Listen to what you're saying.

You don't have to answer me, but at least be honest with yourself. Would you want someone breaking in YOUR house and steal all the property that you worked hard for?

Let's take this a step further.

What if you had a shop in your back yard. You build fine furniture for a living. You're not only a master carpenter, but an artist with designs that are well-known all over the world. You become so popular you get contracts to mass produce your designs, but you decline because you feel YOU should be the only one that creates the work. Demand for your products soar. You can't make them fast enough.

Then later, you see social media ads online for furniture with your name and designs. The prices are a fraction of what you charge. You obtain one and quickly see the materials and workmanship are substandard and definitely not anything you would make, but the furniture has YOUR name on it and they're selling like hotcakes. The counterfeits are coming from overseas and your lawyers advise you that it's a fools errands and would drain every dime you make to fight it. After some investigation, you find out that many U.S. retailers have bought large quantities for resale online as well as some foreign eBayers.

Does that make it right? Would you try to stop it?

Basically, what you said in your comment is that it's NOT wrong as long as you don't get caught. Famous last words.

There are many companies that are making very good scanners within the bounds of the law.

Yes, I've had lots of my work stolen and reproduced as their own. I spent years producing it only to have some lazy SOB steal it and try to make it their own. Contrary to what you may think. I live a happy life in spite of the thieves. We can't chose our circumstances, but we can chose our attitude.

Producing a cloned PIWIS is stealing. Purchasing a PIWIS counterfeit is also wrong. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

The following users liked this post:
kfitzpat9 (05-01-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 11:51 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
But the 2021 date issue doesn't seem to be limited to those using VM software-and at least one user said after buying a laptop system he got no support from the vendor-so before buying a system this needs to be brought up to make sure it's not an issue-
I'm sure no one knows my company has been selling, computers for close to 30 years.
Every single PIWIS III image I've tested was a hacked Volume License copy that would deactivate after 180 days. (all with hacks, spyware, and keyloggers on them too) When I removed the cracks and BS from one image the screen turned black and you couldn't even log in.
I'm in the process of making it a proper legit Microsoft-activated image loaded on i5 Toughbooks.
I'll have 7 total when I'm done between Toughbooks, Toughpads, and maybe a Dell or two. I'm also making a Star system and a GM one. My PIWIS III image will also run off of a VAS6154.

Last edited by TMC.; 03-18-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:45 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Soon? PM details, thnx
Old 04-16-2021, 03:34 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm trying to get my last emissions monitor into a ready state. But after multiple drive cycles, both the porsche and bmw guides that are on rennlist and 700+ miles still no luck. My oxygen sensor is still showing INC.

After doing a lot of reading online (Rennlist, 6speed) many people have mentioned utilizing a PIWIS to force the emissions test to run on demand. But I haven't found any details on exactly how this is done. Does anyone know where this option is within PIWIS? What are the steps/procedures that are necessary?

Disclosure: I don't have a PIWIS, but a local Porsche enthusiast to me has one and has offered to help with my smog/readiness situation.

This is probably the most information I could find about PIWIS: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14070578
Old 04-30-2021, 08:10 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Has anyone done maintenance to PIWIS III? Under Tools->Data, File management, there are all the Log folders.
I'm curious which ones can be deleted to clean things up-

Thnx
JB
Old 04-30-2021, 10:21 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Howdy over here from the 992 & Macan family.

I'd be grateful for a pointer or help with the x431 Pro Mini. I was able to modify certain parameters with no problems on the wife's 2020 Macan S. Trying to modify the same parameter (i.e. single tap overtaking blink from 3 to 5 or lighting up rear lights with DRLs (or DDLs under Front End Electronics as they're referred to in the Macan) gives me nothing. I have the latest downloaded software from Launch and it does state that the 992 is covered. Another example is disabling driver seat belt. That is actually seen by my x431 under Instrument Panel but it doesn't allow you to write to that field.

Anyone have any luck with the x431 & their 992? TIA for any help/pointers

siberian
Old 04-30-2021, 11:15 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

As far as I've researched, you need the X-431 Turbo or Torque to get full functionality-they are the USA models
https://www.aeswave.com/Launch-X-431...338-p9682.html

The Turbo is a newer version, around $1100

JB
Old 04-30-2021, 11:24 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Thanx JB for taking the time. Is there any upgrade path from the Mini to the Turbo?

siberian
Old 05-01-2021, 01:45 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

You'd have to sell it and buy the Turbo. When I was considering these, the Turbo and Torque are the ones I was thinking of. If you look at the Ferrari chats you'll see some who bought the Mini could not perform the clutch maintenance on 430s, 458s and 599s but the Torque did. The Turbo is the 8" version of the Torque 10"

If you search, the Turbo can be found for around $1100. But I also found the Torque on special sales under $1300

JB

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone