997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020 | 06:41 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

VXDAS says it uses samtec hardware. Either way that’s where I got mine. I’ve used it quite a bit and have never had a single issue.
The following users liked this post:
KlausS98 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020 | 08:20 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Bought mine from obd2tool. Looks great and has not given me any issues so far.

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods.php?id=6933
KlausS98 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020 | 09:24 AM
KlausS98
Advanced

Originally Posted by stjoh
Bought mine from obd2tool. Looks great and has not given me any issues so far.

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods.php?id=6933
Price looks inline, but shipping is quite high @>100 bucks, at least to germany

Klaus
Old 06-04-2020 | 10:26 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KlausS98

Klaus
That was one of the things that led me to select OBD2.market as the DHL option was $38 (still high but better than others). Many of these sites also charge a hefty fee to use Paypal. Instead of doing that most major credit card companies will issue a "virtual credit card". This is a new, unique card number where you set the limit and the expiration (e.g. $500 for 30 days) and it gets billed to your normal credit card statement. My card is through Citibank and it's a free service and took less than a minute to get online. Worked great and I didn't have to give my real card number to a stranger on the other side of the world.
Old 06-04-2020 | 06:48 PM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
You will need a high quality 55 amp battery charger with clean power for programming
@rbrunelle, can you recommend a battery charger that would fit the bill? Not sure what you mean by “clean power”?

I remember my indy tech connected my car to a battery charger when he used his PIWIS clone to work on my air suspension. I remember him telling me that the PIWIS will drain the battery very quickly without supplemental power.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2020 | 10:11 PM
MagnusB
Pro

I replaced my PCM with one from another car. I need to program away the Navi unit as my car doesn't have one and also turn on some other functions.
Can it do that?
Old 06-05-2020 | 12:24 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Now that we've established workable alternative for a low-cost PIWIS clone system, I'd love to hear more about what owners have done with them...

I have a durametric as well as a hand-held porsche specific obd2 tool. Both effective for many things, but of course limited as well. No issues adding a PIWIS system to the tool chest if it really is a great addition.
Old 06-05-2020 | 12:26 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Originally Posted by KlausS98

Klaus
And even though you can order with shipping to Germany, they will cancel the order later. Not shipping to Germany due to customs frequently seizing the device...
Old 06-05-2020 | 03:05 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Now that we've established workable alternative for a low-cost PIWIS clone system, I'd love to hear more about what owners have done with them...

I have a durametric as well as a hand-held porsche specific obd2 tool. Both effective for many things, but of course limited as well. No issues adding a PIWIS system to the tool chest if it really is a great addition.
Read/cleared codes with great detail. Recoded a few things. I’ve run some of the diagnostic tests on a number of modules. I also used it to relearn TPMS when I put the HREs on. I could have done that via the OBC but I wanted to run through the process via PIWIS just to try it out there.
Old 06-05-2020 | 03:23 AM
KlausS98
Advanced

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
And even though you can order with shipping to Germany, they will cancel the order later. Not shipping to Germany due to customs frequently seizing the device...
Correct, just got a skype message tonight about that ... sounds you have been in the same boat? Did something else work out for you?

Thanks
Klaus
Old 06-05-2020 | 10:37 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I bought mine as insurance but also to learn more about how the PDK operates for the PDK repair sticky. Since then it's been used to real-time read and log all PDK sensors (gearshift rods position, clutch pressure, speed sensors, and temp) despite the fact none of this is mentioned in Porsche t-shooting documents. In addition I've monitored and logged solenoid operation which helped unravel the mysteries of the valve body's operation. It confirmed what I already suspected, the dealerships are either ignorant or disingenuous when they claim they can't diagnose and repair a PDK.

There is a wealth of PDK information available using the PIWIS, the dealerships just refuse to use it beyond reading fault codes. As far as I can tell every sensor in the car (and there are hundreds of them including things like pressure sensors, current monitors, and accelerometers) can be read and logged. Want to know the real-time resistance of the driver's thorax airbag? It's there. How about the current to the front left PASM strut? Yup. PCM MOST transceiver temperature? There. AC refrigerant pressure? There too. It's pretty amazing.

Last edited by PV997; 06-05-2020 at 10:54 AM.
maschinetheist (02-28-2021)
Old 06-10-2020 | 03:01 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Short Version:
Can the PIWIS clone turn off (and back on) Power Steering Plus?

Long Version:
Just purchased a 2014 911 Turbo S. Factory options included "Power steering plus" which I believe is just a software option, and my understanding is that a dealer can turn off this software using piwis, but they typically charge an hour labor, which would pay for about half the PIWIS clone. Has anyone seen this option or done this with a piwis clone? And after I turn it off, will I be able to turn it back on again? I know you can't turn it on if it isn't licensed, just not sure if turning it off somehow zero's the license...

Anybody try this yet?
Old 06-10-2020 | 11:47 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

I got my PIWIS 2 already! That was fast considering the state of the world..
I got mine from this link: https://www.obd2tool.com/goods.php?id=6933

I am currently downloading the OVA file and I already installed Virtualbox and the extension.
Cant wait to start messing with this. I already swapped the battery a little bit ago so will code that in first and then just got all my oil change materials (FCP euro lifetime warranty seems too good to be true).
I know you can do these with other tools but these will be good entry level tasks to get familiar with the PIWIS.

Thanks for the great thread!
Old 06-11-2020 | 03:12 AM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by subaru335i
I got my PIWIS 2 already! That was fast considering the state of the world..
I got mine from this link: https://www.obd2tool.com/goods.php?id=6933

I am currently downloading the OVA file and I already installed Virtualbox and the extension.
Cant wait to start messing with this. I already swapped the battery a little bit ago so will code that in first and then just got all my oil change materials (FCP euro lifetime warranty seems too good to be true).
I know you can do these with other tools but these will be good entry level tasks to get familiar with the PIWIS.

Thanks for the great thread!
Awesome! I just ordered from the same seller yesterday so glad to hear that it arrived promptly! I’ve already played around a bit with the software in simulation mode and looks very interesting. I’m keen to lower through the air suspension. I was initially considering buying a Renntech lowering module ($1500!). Why bother when the PIWIS can do this and so much more!

I agree...this is a great thread! Thanks again to all you have contributed! I’ll update too once I get my VCI hardware and start messing around a bit.
Old 06-11-2020 | 09:28 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Short Version:
Can the PIWIS clone turn off (and back on) Power Steering Plus?

Long Version:
Just purchased a 2014 911 Turbo S. Factory options included "Power steering plus" which I believe is just a software option, and my understanding is that a dealer can turn off this software using piwis, but they typically charge an hour labor, which would pay for about half the PIWIS clone. Has anyone seen this option or done this with a piwis clone? And after I turn it off, will I be able to turn it back on again? I know you can't turn it on if it isn't licensed, just not sure if turning it off somehow zero's the license...

Anybody try this yet?
I couldn’t find it in the 991 coding options. It might be in programming which requires specific functions that aren’t available in the VM so I can’t say for sure.

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone