Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:40 AM
shanusanus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been reading through this whole thread those morning - looks quiet exciting.

I do have a question - can this PIWIS clone / hardware do the coding for Cruise Control retrofit in a Cayenne 9PA?

Anyone down this here?
Old 09-24-2020, 01:26 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

WARNING!

DO NOT
upgrade VirtualBox to version 6.1.14. It WILL break the VM.
The VM will fail to start, period. Neither changing VM settings, restoring from snapshots, re-importing the VM, nor performing a clean install will work. The behavior will not change.
The following users liked this post:
turb0 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by scadams
WARNING!

DO NOT
The VM will fail to start, period. Neither changing VM settings, restoring from snapshots, re-importing the VM, nor performing a clean install will work. The behavior will not change.
Thanks for the heads up, I assume you were able to roll it back to v 6.1.12? I just opened Virtual Box and it immediately asked me if I wanted to upgrade to 6.1.14 so it must have just been pushed out.

You can turn off check for updates in Virtual Box's preference menu which probably isn't a bad idea. Hopefully we can get this resolved ASAP as one appeal of using a VM on a modern OS was having updates for security and glitches.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:15 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shanusanus
Been reading through this whole thread those morning - looks quiet exciting.

I do have a question - can this PIWIS clone / hardware do the coding for Cruise Control retrofit in a Cayenne 9PA?

Anyone down this here?
Here's what I could find for a Cayenne 9PA:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8
Old 09-24-2020, 04:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
As to buying a PIWIS 3 (MB 911's comment) I'm not sure I understand this. Are authentic PIWIS 3's available for $3K?? I've never seen one at that price and I didn't think they were offered to the public. Even if they were, there's no reason to spend that kind of money for weekend tinkering when a $425 PIWIS2 clone will do the exact same thing (my car is a 997.2 TT). If I ran a shop that may be a different story but I suspect the cost of an authentic PIWIS3 is much higher than $3k.

MB 911 - Can you point us to where you saw the PIWIS 3 for sale? It would be helpful to better understand the available options.
+1. My indy shop is looking for a PIWIS 3 clone as customers with 2019 and 2020 cars are starting to go there for maintenance. Thread subbed.

OBD2Tool sells this but not sure if correct.

https://m.obd2tool.com/goods-10335-P...12-Laptop.html

Last edited by chsu74; 09-24-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:30 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

WARNING!

DO NOT
Well this is timely.... After planning on at least setting up a PIWIS on a virtual machine, at least in simulator mode, to check it out, I finally decided to give it a go yesterday.

I downloaded VB, grabbed the VM image, and it crashed in about 10 seconds every time I opened it. Now I am running VirtualBox on my Mac, as I would prefer to run on that platform if it did work, and chalked up the failures to being on a MacOS platform instead of say running the virtual machine on a windows laptop. Now I wonder if the problem is simply 6.1.14.

I haven't tried it yet, but for those who need it, here is a link to the deprecated 6.1 build downloads...
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

I'll post back after I retry with 6.1.12

Last edited by pfbz; 09-24-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Yup! Fixed!

Deleting everything and re-building the virtual machine with 6.1.12 and the PIWIS simulator is running great on my MacBook Pro. Thanks @chsu74, I spent about an hour yesterday trying to debug the crash, didn't even occur to me that it was a VirtualBox version issue as I had never previously had it running properly...

Old 09-24-2020, 09:20 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
So let me get this straight. You're pissed at Porsche for doing something you deem unethical and that has convinced you to possibly do something equally unethical with the purchase of this counterfeit? And, now you come on a public forum to ask for guidance!?

Personally, I think the ol' adage proves true in this situation... "A fool and his money are soon departed". hahaha Seriously, you're better off buying a Durametric or paying a shop to run the car on their PIWIS. Seems like I remember reading many threads where people got burned buying the Chinese PIWIS knock offs thinking they would have the same capability as the real deal.

Good luck!

Nuttyprofessor - I cannot agree with you on this one. The PDK is serviceable as proven by many posts but Porsche refuses to permit this in their dealerships. Imagine if every dealership took this approach. There are consumer laws against this practice in many states and in my estimation Porsche is close to an Attorney General lawsuit for consumer protection violations. Therefore, in the meantime, the little guy is forced to otherwise work around the problem with solutions like this. Every car owner has the right to work on their car and the dealerships cannot elect to deny this. If they were allowed - they wouldn't sell repair parts bit lawsiuts and consumer protection laws have forced the issue.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 AM
shanusanus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CONFIRMED WORKING!!

Here's what I could find for a Cayenne 9PA:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8
so today my PIWIS arrived. I can confirm after testing and activating Cruise Control the software and PIWIS hardware can indeed code Cruise Control on a 9PA

well happy and in total my CC install cost me
less than £50!
The following users liked this post:
scadams (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 11:43 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

so today my PIWIS arrived. I can confirm after testing and activating Cruise Control the software and PIWIS hardware can indeed code Cruise Control on a 9PA

less than £50!
Also curious if you can code/activate backup camera lines when using an aftermarket solution? My CD came without a backup camera from the factory. Added a aftermarket camera and it runs without lines. Believe the backup lines is a software driven application with steering angle input etc...
Old 09-30-2020, 01:00 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

less than £50!
That's awesome. I'm glad to see the steps worked out for you.

I highly recommend setting some time aside, even in sim mode, to play around and discover all the PIWIS functionality. It's a bit clunky to navigate but once you start figuring out where everything is it all falls into place and becomes much easier.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:14 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 305 Posts

did you or your indy buy it from them ?

Originally Posted by chsu74
+1. My indy shop is looking for a PIWIS 3 clone as customers with 2019 and 2020 cars are starting to go there for maintenance. Thread subbed.

OBD2Tool sells this but not sure if correct.

https://m.obd2tool.com/goods-10335-P...12-Laptop.html
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markmark26
did you or your indy buy it from them ?
Indy has factory PIWIS and PIWIS II. Bought the Chinese PIWIS III the other week but not direct for post sale support etc. and paid roughly double the price.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:48 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

So although my Cayenne is fine with VAG-COM, it is apparent that for my 997 I will need a PIWIS clone. After reading many threads, it seems there are two ways to go:

1) Piwis 2 with a Samtec HSX clone, which is relatively expensive (if it doesn’t work and goes in the garbage) or

2) Piwis 3 with a modified VAS6154 interface, which is much cheaper but seems more sketchy and untested.

Any opinions or which of these two ways to jump? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:21 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
So although my Cayenne is fine with VAG-COM, it is apparent that for my 997 I will need a PIWIS clone. After reading many threads, it seems there are two ways to go:

1) Piwis 2 with a Samtec HSX clone, which is relatively expensive (if it doesn’t work and goes in the garbage) or

2) Piwis 3 with a modified VAS6154 interface, which is much cheaper but seems more sketchy and untested.

Any opinions or which of these two ways to jump? Thanks.
I disagree with your first comment and will throw in my two cents. The PIWIS2 Samtec clone is only around $430 shipped and as far as I know none of us have had any problems. The only one I know of that did fail was from the threadstarter over on Planet 9 and his was immediately replaced by the vendor free of charge. The PIWIS 2 is fine up through 2018 model year and there is no benefit of having a PIWIS 3 for a 997 except perhaps a more modern interface and a bit faster. There's a good review of the PIWIS 3 from a PIWIS 2 owner here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...piwis-iii.html

Currently the PIWIS 3 costs twice that of the PIWIS 2 so I don't see why it makes sense to spend the extra money (unless you have a new Porsche in your plans or can't live with the PIWIS 2 interface). The PIWIS 3 has come down in price over the last year so hopefully it will be more competitive soon. It isn't now.

Last edited by PV997; 10-06-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone