Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 05:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Interesting I've not had any of the issues you describe with PIWIS. Concerning the date, that has been solved a long time ago. As to charger that's there for your protection, if you want to blow a $1,700 buck LiFePO4 battery, your choice is to ignore.

For certain things I do tend to turn to my Launch (like SRI, oil change...) simply because it more straight forward, not to mention WiFi compared to being tethered in this day and age is prehistoric. But all those analyzers have limits and when you get to that point PIWIS is the only answer.

But yes, lots of dangling cables.

siberian
Old 03-09-2022, 05:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Interesting I've not had any of the issues you describe with PIWIS. Concerning the date, that has been solved a long time ago. As to charger that's there for your protection, if you want to blow a $1,700 buck LiFePO4 battery, your choice is to ignore.
Is there any more elegant solution to the date issue other than setting it back to 2020 or earlier or trying to always just save the VM in the same state? I'll admit I haven't gone every post in this thread, I just recall wasting tons of time last time I tried. As for the voltage warning, again I'm NOT a piwis expert, but my recollection is that once displayed, it simply would not proceed on even basic functions, no way to ignore it. I fortunately or unfortunately don't have a megabuck lithium battery to worry about. I did build a 40A charger and it works fine, but again, just a bit of a hassle to be required to connect it even for a quick check or reset of something using the PIWIS.

Yeah, I know... lots of complaints for minor stuff. I just don't love having to 're-learn' all the idiosyncrasies of the clone piwis system every time I try to use it.

Last edited by pfbz; 03-09-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:16 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

A lot of gripes here. So first, yes the date issue has been solved I can't remember the steps but if you send a PM to @rnlst_log he can point you to a solution.

Never encountered a PIWIS warning about voltage. 40A seems a bit small, I run a PowerMax 75A as coding etc. draws a lot of power. What version of PIWIS3 are you running and VCI?

I've just recently fired up PIWIS to make one change and didn't bother hooking up the PowerMax. I did keep an eagle eye on the volt meter on the dash and I wouldn't dream of running a VAL or anything compute intensive without hooking it up however. But for this one small change I had no issues. Whenever I don't drive the car for more than a couple of days it goes on a CTEK.

As to the clone system you're running maybe that's the issue? Send my buddy a PM and he'll set you up. GL

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-09-2022 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pfbz (03-09-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 09:51 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey, all, I have an issue with my PIWIS 2 clone and this is the best thread going on Rennlist so I thought I would ask for help here.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop, fully updated (FWIW) and when I connect the VCI via USB (while it's connected to the OBD port on the can, ignition on, battery voltage stable at 13.7V, Virtual Box running but PIWIS VM not active) to the laptop, it attempts to add the "HSX Interface" as a device, but fails every time. Subsequently I cannot see the device in the list of devices on the PIWIS VM when I run it. No amount of "Update Driver" does anything to remedy this.

Is there an HSX Interface driver out there (NOT on MHHAuto, which is asking for $27 and no guarantees that links are active)??

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2022, 02:58 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

did it used to work or is this a new image? I've read there are two chipsets used on clone PIWIS 2 interfaces.
You may have an old one.

noahabel (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 04:45 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMC.
did it used to work or is this a new image? I've read there are two chipsets used on clone PIWIS 2 interfaces.
You may have an old one.
This is a new-to-me VCI that was sold by another Rennlister who had it working on his Windows 10 laptop.

I get the right lights flashing on the unit, plus the computer at least tries to install it. But I'm still guessing that I just need the right driver and Windows 7 isn't finding it.

I'm willing to upgrade the laptop to W10, but I want to be sure there's no other solution before heading down that irreversible path. It was a decommissioned work computer with good specs and was meant to be my "car computer" (BMW diagnostics, too).
Old 05-21-2022, 06:14 AM
TMC.
Racer

Cut and paste the hardware IDs of the device that won't install.
I attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
It's a video card on my laptop that's disabled, but you'll have something similar with a yellow(?) exclamation point by it for the device that won't install.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:27 AM
TMC.
Racer

Yep, the PIWIS updates the VCIs firmware. You very well could have newer firmware than your PIWIS knows what to do with.
For a few things, I'd try check this out.

https://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/topic/...oubleshooting/
Old 05-21-2022, 03:07 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Yep, the PIWIS updates the VCIs firmware. You very well could have newer firmware than your PIWIS knows what to do with.
For a few things, I'd try check this out.

https://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/topic/...oubleshooting/
So those instructions were included, in print, with the VCI I purchased secondhand. I followed the imprint procedure (successfully) and I still was unable to get the HSX Interface to install correctly in the laptop's Device Manager.

Are you saying that the previous user changed the firmware of the VCI when he used/connected it to his PIWIS VM/Windows 10 hardware, and now my version of Windows 7 is unable to sync that firmware to a device driver within its driver library?

To be clear on how this SHOULD work - the laptop running "newer" Windows should be able to connect to and communicate with the VCI hardware, via proper hardware installation (i.e. using the right driver). That laptop then runs Virtual Box, which connects to the devices attached to the OS running Virtual Box (the Oracle software "sees" the VCI). Then, the Windows XP Virtual Machine running on VB also sees those devices and makes them available to the VM. Finally, PIWIS runs as a piece of software on the Windows XP VM.

If so, I'm failing at the first step, right? Would running Windows 10 be the right solution, then, not finding the right W7 driver, which may not exist (newer VCI firmware may not ever be able to be run on older Windows, correct?)?

EDIT: I tried to get the VCI to work with a different W10 laptop to no avail. When I connect it, Windows eventually says the device is ready to use, but when I look at the Device Manager, it still says there is no driver. This can't be normal, right?

Last edited by noahabel; 05-21-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:28 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Cut and paste the hardware IDs of the device that won't install.
I attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
It's a video card on my laptop that's disabled, but you'll have something similar with a yellow(?) exclamation point by it for the device that won't install.
Here's what I have.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:29 AM
TMC.
Racer

ok, you and I were on two different pages.
You should update the machine that hosts your VMs to Win10 anyway.
What I was thinking was you were going to upgrade the version of PIWIS INSIDE of your VM to a newer one that runs on Win10 inside your VM.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:09 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

ok, you and I were on two different pages.
You should update the machine that hosts your VMs to Win10 anyway.
What I was thinking was you were going to upgrade the version of PIWIS INSIDE of your VM to a newer one that runs on Win10 inside your VM.
All good.

I did update the laptop to W10 and essentially have the same problem (though the automatic hardware wizard says the "HSX interface is ready to use" it still shows as having no driver installed in the Device Manager) and the VM still does not see the device either.

I know that the standard instructions say to start/run Vbox (but not the PIWIS VM) before connecting the VCI, but how could the Windows hardware wizard use Vbox in any way to help install the HSX Interface?

FWIW, Vbox "sees" the Samtec HSX device as it becomes an option to be added in the USB settings menu within Vbox only after it's plugged into the laptop. But, alas, Windows still can't find a driver.

I just paid to join MHH Auto, where there are supposed drivers hosted. Fingers crossed. I'm assuming Samtec wouldn't help me install a knockoff VCI, right?
Old 05-22-2022, 06:35 AM
TMC.
Racer

I don't run virtual machines for mine. I would ghost the VM to a drive with Acronis, run universal restore, load the drivers for the notebook, and just proceed from there.
I'm not saying that's your solution, I'm just saying that's how I do it.
In reality, I'd use a PIWIS image that's not a VM, to begin with.

Last edited by TMC.; 05-22-2022 at 06:37 AM.
noahabel (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 12:49 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

I don't run virtual machines for mine. I would ghost the VM to a drive with Acronis, run universal restore, load the drivers for the notebook, and just proceed from there.
I'm not saying that's your solution, I'm just saying that's how I do it.
In reality, I'd use a PIWIS image that's not a VM, to begin with.
Glad to try this method. Any threads or sites you know of with a non-VM version of PIWIS? Would I not run into the same issue if the notebook drivers can't install the VCI correctly?
Old 05-22-2022, 04:15 PM
TMC.
Racer

Originally Posted by noahabel
Glad to try this method. Any threads or sites you know of with a non-VM version of PIWIS? Would I not run into the same issue if the notebook drivers can't install the VCI correctly?
No, I assume the drivers are in the PIWIS image. If you can share the VM with windows just browse the VM drive for the drivers.

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone