Sponsored by:

Chinese PIWIS clone

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

user friendly
User friendly isn't a term that comes to mind with any of the windows-only, proprietary or semi-proprietary automotive applications I've used.

Every single one of them seems buggy, finicky, difficult to get drivers set up properly for, and just poorly designed. But we use them anyway as the alternative is worse.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:58 PM
vkb123
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KlausS98
Question:

Is there any consensus for best price/reliability of the chinese sellers ? Please share your experience

TIA
Klaus
Thanks to everyone for the information/instructions on how to download the PIWIS II software. A lot of great advice from everyone including the guys at MHHAuto.com and Planet9.com. I'm now running the software (in simulation mode) on my old MacBook Pro using VMware!

I too am now looking to buy the clone interface hardware from China. Looks like the Samtec units are more reliable and less prone to overheating. The guys at MHHAuto seem to recommend buying from xcar360.com. I also found Samtec units on Autonumen.com and OBD2Serve.com. Looks like the other Chinese sellers have the less reliable J2534 units. FYI...I might be wrong and there may be other sellers that I've missed so best to confirm yourself.

I reached out to xcar360, Autonumen, and OBD2serve by e-mail and got replies from all of them. Price (including shipping cost) is similar with xcar360 being the most expensive. I was ready to order from xcar360 (even though they were the most expensive) but decided to do a Google review search first. I got cold feet after finding MANY negative reviews (mainly on MHHAuto and other obscure car forums). So now I'm not sure how to proceed?

Has anyone ordered Samtec units from one of the above Chinese sellers? If so, can you share your experience? Seems like the negative reviews focus on lengthy delays to ship out of China (specifically using HK Post), unit not working when arrive, units work then stop working quickly after arriving, poor/non-existent customer support when problems are encountered). I have no experience sourcing goods from China and it feel like a bit of a crapshoot (I know these are knock-off clone units so maybe that is the point here!).

Any help sorted out these Chinese sellers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vkb123
Thanks to everyone for the information/instructions on how to download the PIWIS II software. A lot of great advice from everyone including the guys at MHHAuto.com and Planet9.com. I'm now running the software (in simulation mode) on my old MacBook Pro using VMware!

I too am now looking to buy the clone interface hardware from China. Looks like the Samtec units are more reliable and less prone to overheating. The guys at MHHAuto seem to recommend buying from xcar360.com. I also found Samtec units on Autonumen.com and OBD2Serve.com. Looks like the other Chinese sellers have the less reliable J2534 units. FYI...I might be wrong and there may be other sellers that I've missed so best to confirm yourself.

I reached out to xcar360, Autonumen, and OBD2serve by e-mail and got replies from all of them. Price (including shipping cost) is similar with xcar360 being the most expensive. I was ready to order from xcar360 (even though they were the most expensive) but decided to do a Google review search first. I got cold feet after finding MANY negative reviews (mainly on MHHAuto and other obscure car forums). So now I'm not sure how to proceed?

Has anyone ordered Samtec units from one of the above Chinese sellers? If so, can you share your experience? Seems like the negative reviews focus on lengthy delays to ship out of China (specifically using HK Post), unit not working when arrive, units work then stop working quickly after arriving, poor/non-existent customer support when problems are encountered). I have no experience sourcing goods from China and it feel like a bit of a crapshoot (I know these are knock-off clone units so maybe that is the point here!).

Any help sorted out these Chinese sellers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I just ordered the unit linked in the OP from obd2tool.com last night.

with shipping it was just under $500.

we shall see how it goes and when it comes, shipping was like $90 so I hope it comes quickly.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:25 PM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by subaru335i

we shall see how it goes and when it comes, shipping was like $90 so I hope it comes quickly.
Thanks for the quick reply @subaru335i! Looks like the unit from obd2tool.com is also a Samtec unit. I'm very interested to find out how things work out for you (unit arrives in a timely fashion, works out of the box, etc.). Can you please update this thread when you get your unit?

Anyone else with experience with this seller or others please share as well...
Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i

Hey subaru - Not sure if you were referring to me but just to make sure there isn't confusion I got mine from OBD2.market (maybe you were referring to the Planet 9 OP?). The description and photos of the unit and the board internals on obd2tool.com do look identical to the one I got however (i.e. the Samtec version).

Regarding vbk123's comments I used the DHL option and got it in less than a week. This was back in January before things went to hell in a handbasket though.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 PM
vkb123
Racer

Originally Posted by PV997
Hey subaru - Not sure if you were referring to me but just to make sure there isn't confusion I got mine from OBD2.market (maybe you were referring to the Planet 9 OP?). The description and photos of the unit and the board internals on obd2tool.com do look identical to the one I got however (i.e. the Samtec version).

Regarding vbk123's comments I used the DHL option and got it in less than a week. This was back in January before things went to hell in a handbasket though.
@PV, is the unit from OBD2.market a Samtec? I looked at this site (pics and written description) but couldn't find anything to say it was a Samtec? Also, how's it working?
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

PV - I can run the software in simulation mode using the touch screen (don't have hardware yet). Using an ASUS Q304UA laptop with Win 10. Running Oracle VM Virtual Box 6.2.1 Extension Pac 6.1.0.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:21 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vkb123
@PV, is the unit from OBD2.market a Samtec? I looked at this site (pics and written description) but couldn't find anything to say it was a Samtec? Also, how's it working?
Not positive but I don't think any of these are actual "Samtec" in that they were Porsche's supplier. I think mine is a Samtec-clone (for lack of a better term) in that it uses Samtec's circuit board design (Same PCB layout with daughterboard). In this respect it acts just like a real PIWIS and works great. I've had no issues whatsoever and everything works as advertised. It can be quirky in establishing the link if you don't follow the connection steps in the Planet 9 post. If they are followed to the letter it works every time. No complaints other than the software runs a little slow.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:25 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
PV - I can run the software in simulation mode using the touch screen (don't have hardware yet). Using an ASUS Q304UA laptop with Win 10. Running Oracle VM Virtual Box 6.2.1 Extension Pac 6.1.0.
Does the touchscreen work? Moving the cursor with the touchpad is a pain in the car. The laptop I'm using for the PIWIS doesn't have a touchscreen but I'll get one if it works.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Yes, The software works using my touchscreen, in sim mode. And as an aside (from another thread) I just lost my menu (all black) looks like a reload for me. But using the touchscreen, I could navigate thru all the screens/menus.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

PV, Could/did you change the simulation program default car parameters to reflect your particular car? When I run the sim mode I think it is a 997 CS coupe. I want to change it to reflect my Cabrio C4S
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
PV, Could/did you change the simulation program default car parameters to reflect your particular car? When I run the sim mode I think it is a 997 CS coupe. I want to change it to reflect my Cabrio C4S
Maybe you can but I couldn't figure out how to do it either.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

PV - Here are screen shots from the simulation program of all the control units listed when I use the sim mode. Can you confirm that the ones listed/shown are the same as the ones in your sim mode? I don't see a PCM listed.
Thanks

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 06-03-2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 06-04-2020, 12:03 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Yup same as mine. PCM is there at the bottom of the first shot, just after GATEWAY.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:33 AM
KlausS98
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

On the chinese clone sellers - I have been looking into obdsvs and vxdas recently

https://www.vxdas.com/products/porsc...31468925714514
https://www.obdsvs.com/Piwis-Tester-...&category_id=0

Leaning towards obdsvs based on comments on them being around for quite a long time and good experience from buyers,
they also state its a Samtec design - both sellers carry a lot of OBD tools including the lastest Piwis 3. As Vxdas looks like a
redo of the former cndiag I am hesitant as there have been so-so reports on their quality based on some older posts.

Not sure yet ...

Klaus

The following users liked this post:
SweetWater (06-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Chinese PIWIS clone