Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 09:54 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabra1871
Is there a way to get the dial screen to display song name? Currently when using android auto it just displays 'USB TOOO'.
Not as far as I know. The info in the MFD came directly from the PCM via the instrument cluster video connector, which is no longer used. Similarly, you won't get nav directions in the PCM either. I disabled these two screens in my MFD as there is no point in seeing screens which no longer give useful information when you cycle through. The info is, of course, displayed on the new HU's screen.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:00 AM
Jabra1871
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Not as far as I know. The info in the MFD came directly from the PCM via the instrument cluster video connector, which is no longer used. Similarly, you won't get nav directions in the PCM either. I disabled these two screens in my MFD as there is no point in seeing screens which no longer give useful information when you cycle through. The info is, of course, displayed on the new HU's screen.
Makes sense and is more of a nice to have. Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:20 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by smrpr
Thanks Matt.

I think that cable is what I mention in my third bullet point? Or something else?

Like this one?
no, that is not what is needed for the radio antenna. You need a DIN to 2 single male plugs, not a dual male plug -- to connect to the black and yellow FAKRA plugs. Then you need a patch cable with a dual male FAKRA plug (like in your picture) on both ends to bypass the antenna amplifier located in the upper left passenger footwell.

Originally Posted by Jabra1871
Is there a way to get the dial screen to display song name? Currently when using android auto it just displays 'USB TOOO'.
the DIS will show whatever the HU sends to it. If using the built-in radio or music apps, then the track metadata is shown on the DIS. With AA/Carplay, the app doesn't have access to that metadata, because it's acting as a projected display with an audio stream. Even in 2023 model cars with factory Carplay/AA, pretty sure all they show is "Carplay Audio" or similar because the metadata just isn;'t there

Originally Posted by jdarwin
My only complaint with the unit is the built in microphone. Unlike previous units, this one does not accommodate an external mic. I am difficult to hear on the other end (like I'm in a tunnel) but It's a small annoyance since mine is a cab and talking on the phone is a challenge regardless. I simply let it go to vm - I don't want anything to interrupt my drive!
not sure what you mean by doesn't accommodate an external mic, there is definitely a plug for it.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:46 PM
yardpro
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i used an ATOTO system in both my cayman S with bose (deleted the factory amp and ran cables to feed new amp in same location, and in the wifes 08 cayenne s. on that one i kept the factory bose and bought the adapter. it retained all steering wheel controls and works exactly like factory... on both of these its way better than stock.

in the cayman sI have a great Memphis dealer locally so i went with the Memphis power reference 300W digital amp i the factory location. i used quality braided cables. is sounded better than stock but eventually started to get some popping in the factory door speakers. I upgraded them to the Memphis 8" subs and their 5.5 2 way. OMG it sounds fantastic...
Old 01-29-2024, 03:16 AM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Edit: got it to work.
Anyone have any tips for more secure mounting?
Its sloppy even with the tabs bent.
I spaced out the side rails with washers and its better but looking to try a stronger solution

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 01-29-2024 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:24 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 85 Posts

On an European PCM 2.1, are these yellow and black connectors both for the antenna and therefore the two that must be plugged into the adapter that’s been mentioned in this thread?

Old 02-07-2024, 10:53 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

On an European PCM 2.1, are these yellow and black connectors both for the antenna and therefore the two that must be plugged into the adapter that’s been mentioned in this thread?
it's not specific to the Euro PCM 2.1, USA spec is the same. Connect a dual FAKRA antenna adapter (dual plug or 2 singles):

Old 02-07-2024, 12:37 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
it's not specific to the Euro PCM 2.1, USA spec is the same. Connect a dual FAKRA antenna adapter (dual plug or 2 singles):

Got it, thank you.

Also, has anybody been able to find the dual fakra male to male adapter? My local Amazon doesn't seem to stock it, or my search-fu is becoming increasingly bad:

Old 02-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Antp997
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried taking the front fascia off to paint or to wrap it another colour. I’m not overly happy with the slight colour mismatch with the stock centre console so might paint it all but unsure how easy it is to get the front fascia off as the buttons seem like they are not budging.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:03 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 46 Posts

even the PCCM+ has a slight color mismatch. i would say don't worry about it.
ZedZed (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:44 AM
dva78
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antp997
Has anyone tried taking the front fascia off to paint or to wrap it another colour. I’m not overly happy with the slight colour mismatch with the stock centre console so might paint it all but unsure how easy it is to get the front fascia off as the buttons seem like they are not budging.
Easy, 6 small screws for the bezel en 4 small screws for the circuit behind the buttons. The buttons pop out of the bezel with the help of a small knife or similar. The 2 round buttons can be pulled out.
I sprayed my bezel with Nissan KR2 color paint, without clear coat, looks great.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:54 AM
Antp997
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dva78
Easy, 6 small screws for the bezel en 4 small screws for the circuit behind the buttons. The buttons pop out of the bezel with the help of a small knife or similar. The 2 round buttons can be pulled out.
I sprayed my bezel with Nissan KR2 color paint, without clear coat, looks great.
good to know, got any pics of the finished article
Old 02-08-2024, 10:03 AM
dva78
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antp997
good to know, got any pics of the finished article
The picture shows the colour is slightly off, but this is not noticable with my own eyes....It was much lighter form the factory.

Last edited by dva78; 02-08-2024 at 01:19 PM.
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 04:31 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Got it, thank you.

Also, has anybody been able to find the dual fakra male to male adapter? My local Amazon doesn't seem to stock it, or my search-fu is becoming increasingly bad:

haven't been able to find them anywhere, so I just bought another antenna adapter as I posted above and added a dual-male fakra to the other end with some connectors I'd ordered off Aliexpress

Last edited by MattDevoCustoms; 02-08-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:54 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
haven't been able to find them anywhere, so I just bought another antenna adapter as I posted above and added a dual-male fakra to the other end with some connectors I'd ordered off Aliexpress
Wondering how important is this if I’m not planning on listening to the radio. This bypass was to get better reception, right?

I might just install the radio without this and order the original part down the line. Will I have issues with CarPlay this way?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!