Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 11:10 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@MattDevoCustoms - I called a few local shops today and one was kind enough to send me this wiring diagram I hadn't seen before.
I'm no expert but seems like the only viable regardless of auto-dimming mirrors or not is under the left seat - is this your take?
There's a white/brown wire (I've seen this - they are twisted together) behind the main fuse box, but seems that these interact with the transmission so not sure I should mess with these?
BTW - was the wire you tapped mostly blue with a black stripe or mostly black with a blue stripe?
Update:
There was a blue wire with black stripe that was maybe 20 gauge, I tried this one and nothing happened when the car was put in reverse. Then I tried the black with blue stripe (18 gauge) just like the wires in the main harness location at the fuse box and finally the camera works when put in reverse!
What a journey, and to add insult to injury, one of the bolts on the seat was stuck and would not budge even with my 1/2" impact drive using the correct 12 point 10mm socket, eventually stripping the bolt (which is a job for another time). I had to tap these wires with the seat still in place, albeit a couple of inches higher than with the other 3 bolt removed so I could wedge a coffee cup under one of the rails!
So, a wild experience that would have been a lot easier if I had just removed the drivers seat - to anyone doing this to install a rear backup camera like this PLEASE remember that you need to completely disconnect the battery and wait 15-30 minutes before unplugging the main harness as when powered this will cause faults with the air bags, something you absolutely don't want to happen!
I removed the OG GPS puck (the car was purchased with NAV but the screen died years ago and I replaced with stock CD player at the time) and installed the included GPS puck in the same location on the right hand side of the windshield plastic cowl that meets the hood. The 4G antenna was installed in the center of that cowl.
Today I need to button a few things up, remove the CD holder in the glovebox to house the USB ports for phone/large USB flash drive for copying over favorite music to the unit's 256GB memory.
Below is the wiring diagram, perhaps a useful resource for the rest of the community.

Now all I need is a nice custom UI dash for the unit with Porsche logo, I understand @MattDevoCustoms is working on something for the Qualcomm Snapdragon units - in the meantime I will check out some of the Playstore apps that make the Android CarPlay experience a lot nicer than the stock one.!

PS - @MattDevoCustoms , you have been a wealth of knowledge and you do a great service to this community of near 'classic' car age, as will soon be the case in my 2005 Boxster S with a mere 95K miles - lol.

Last edited by Globespy; 09-23-2023 at 10:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Globespy:
MattDevoCustoms (09-23-2023), surfninja (10-01-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 02:00 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AitchUK
It would be a really good idea to replace the housing and, as someone else is doing it, should be quite straightforward but you'd need to remove the CD holder to get the real dimensions as it's quite a tight fit and held in with two screws. There's also a 'tag' in the slot where the holder sits so the holder can only sit one way round.

Glove box closes fine without pinching the USB cable.
I've been trying to remove these 2 CD trays for an hour and I understand that I'm to depressed the little plastic pieces and simply pull the tray out, yet they won't budge. I'm guessing they both have to be depressed with small screwdrivers towards the right, at the same time as pulling the tray forward, but I can get neither of them to budge.
​​​​​​Any tips?.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:33 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Default How are these units held in the dash?

Got my unit setup, but never realized it doesn't have the little turn screws that are on the OEM unit.
it has somewhat similar metal 'latches', albeit much flimsier than factory, but they don't seem to grab.
Anyone got tips/pics/video of how they secured their unit without drilling holes into the unit?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2023, 09:14 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Globespy
Got my unit setup, but never realized it doesn't have the little turn screws that are on the OEM unit.
it has somewhat similar metal 'latches', albeit much flimsier than factory, but they don't seem to grab.
Anyone got tips/pics/video of how they secured their unit without drilling holes into the unit?
Thanks
the side "rails" which come with the unit don't sit out far enough to secure the unit against the sides, so I just spaced them out with some small washers. The units I've ordered came with 2 different "height" rails, short ones attached and slightly taller ones separately in a bag. I used both pairs, spacing out the shorter ones with 2 washers and the taller ones with 1. Then use the single 7mm set screw on the pass side to secure the unit in place once positioned. I also bend out the press tabs a bit before inserting the unit.

The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (09-26-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 05:20 AM
Globespy
Intermediate

Thanks for this.
The unit I got was a snug fit with the rails on each side, I guess I need to pull out those side tabs a bit more.
It's been a long day, I didn't check the passenger side for a set screw, I thought they were all part of the OEM unit, so that's great if there'a a set screw on the actual housing, it will be a pleasant finish to what's been a fairly in-depth install - of course if I had to do it again, it would be much easier.
I had mounted both the 4G antenna and GPS puck under the cowl and the wires are the same so had to switch them until I saw an app I installed start to show satellites being picked up. I guess than meant the GPS puck was connected properly!
What's this F-Cam app people talk about being self installed on these units? Not on mine, I will need to look for the apk and sideload it as it doesn't seem to be in the Playstore.
Tried a couple of Android Auto alternative dashes, but they were kinda buggy, so I will just wait until there's a custom Porsche one on the Qualcomm units.

Any tips for using the unit to get the most from it? Just leave it on Android Auto? Any other apps that are worthwhile getting?
I will try to read through the near 70 pages in this thread over the coming days to see how other's have found the best experience with their units.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:00 AM
hamiltonf1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of getting the most out of your unit, leaving it on Android Auto is usually a good choice, but it ultimately depends on your preferences and needs. As for apps, it really depends on what you're looking for. Some folks find navigation apps like Waze or music streaming apps like Spotify enhance the experience.

Regarding that "F-Cam" app, it's strange that it wasn't pre-installed. Feel free to share the link to the APK if you find it, as that could be helpful for others in the same boat.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:30 AM
Globespy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hamiltonf1
In terms of getting the most out of your unit, leaving it on Android Auto is usually a good choice, but it ultimately depends on your preferences and needs. As for apps, it really depends on what you're looking for. Some folks find navigation apps like Waze or music streaming apps like Spotify enhance the experience.

Regarding that "F-Cam" app, it's strange that it wasn't pre-installed. Feel free to share the link to the APK if you find it, as that could be helpful for others in the same boat.
Thanks for the feedback, haven't tried Waze as Google Maps has always been the 'go to' for maps/navigation. I will play around with it some more today.
Here's the official site for the F-CAM app.
F-CAM APK for Android Download (apkpure.com)
hamiltonf1 (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 03:07 PM
Globespy
Intermediate

Default Set screw??

Anyone got a pic or link to where I can purchase this 7mm set screw to hold the HU in on the passenger side?
I can see the hole where it goes, but there's no screw.
Is this a bolt type screw with an allen head?
Is it a screw that goes into what seems like a small corresponding hole on the side of the Android HU? Or is it a flat end just to put pressure on the side of the HU?
Appreciate the help as my HU is not secure even with the metal leaf spring things.
The side rails are snug but I need the set screw to step the HU from sliding forward and back, plus it's needed to keep it flush with the rest of the panels (wires behind keeping a little pressure on it pushing it forwards).
Old 09-24-2023, 09:47 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Globespy
Anyone got a pic or link to where I can purchase this 7mm set screw to hold the HU in on the passenger side?
I can see the hole where it goes, but there's no screw.
Is this a bolt type screw with an allen head?
Is it a screw that goes into what seems like a small corresponding hole on the side of the Android HU? Or is it a flat end just to put pressure on the side of the HU?
Appreciate the help as my HU is not secure even with the metal leaf spring things.
The side rails are snug but I need the set screw to step the HU from sliding forward and back, plus it's needed to keep it flush with the rest of the panels (wires behind keeping a little pressure on it pushing it forwards).
I'm referring to the set screw which held the stock unit in place - did yours not have one? I had to use a ratcheting 7mm wrench to retract it from the lower pass side of the console once the side panels were removed
Old 09-25-2023, 12:41 AM
Globespy
Intermediate

Nah, car did not have one. Figured it out with a bolt cut to the right size. Looks great finished.
Just got to mess around with it.
Thanks again.
MattDevoCustoms (09-25-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:28 PM
gifugifu
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So I installed an android unit today. Could not get a shop to do it for me because the car (987.2 cayman s) did not have the standard wiring harness for the stock headunit (a clarion NAV HU). I ordered a harness kit and went about installing it myself. Everything went well or so I thought. Had some issues with the amp and so I ended up taking a lot longer than I thought I would. Also left the door open because it was too hot otherwise. Needless to say, I left it powered for too long with out starting the engine. Suddenly when I tunred on the headlights before starting the car up, I got a ton of error codes (PSM failure, ABS failure, Auto leveling light failure, cornering lights failure, forget the last one, etc., five in total). The care also will not start. It clicks repeatedly and more aggressively the long I keep the key turned, but nothing like an engine turning over sound. I disconnected the android HU and just left it without a head unit, but nothing changed error or starting wise.

Anyone else experience this?

Did I drain the battery to low and need a jump? Would that trigger the errors though? Everything seems to power up fine. Did I blow a fuse perhaps? Hopefully nothing worse than that.

Help please!
Old 09-30-2023, 12:05 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by gifugifu
So I installed an android unit today. Could not get a shop to do it for me because the car (987.2 cayman s) did not have the standard wiring harness for the stock headunit (a clarion NAV HU). I ordered a harness kit and went about installing it myself. Everything went well or so I thought. Had some issues with the amp and so I ended up taking a lot longer than I thought I would. Also left the door open because it was too hot otherwise. Needless to say, I left it powered for too long with out starting the engine. Suddenly when I tunred on the headlights before starting the car up, I got a ton of error codes (PSM failure, ABS failure, Auto leveling light failure, cornering lights failure, forget the last one, etc., five in total). The care also will not start. It clicks repeatedly and more aggressively the long I keep the key turned, but nothing like an engine turning over sound. I disconnected the android HU and just left it without a head unit, but nothing changed error or starting wise.

Anyone else experience this?

Did I drain the battery to low and need a jump? Would that trigger the errors though? Everything seems to power up fine. Did I blow a fuse perhaps? Hopefully nothing worse than that.

Help please!
sure sounds like a low/dead battery to me
BruceH (09-30-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 08:55 PM
gdonn7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve James
I wish a smaller screen version like this was available for the 997. I like this and the Porsche PCCM plus much better as the smaller screen fits the car better.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:42 PM
Antp997
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone managed to change the boot up
logo? Currently it’s the Android logo but would be great to change that for a Porsche badge/logo to make it feel more factory
Old 10-04-2023, 11:56 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Antp997
Has anyone managed to change the boot up
logo? Currently it’s the Android logo but would be great to change that for a Porsche badge/logo to make it feel more factory
There is a boot logo and then a boot animation.

There is no universal way to change them (without rooting). How to change them, assuming it's possible, depends on the hardware/software on your particular unit. It can easily be done on the FYT-platform UIS7862 units which I recommend/use/sell, by hijacking the built-in updater utility. On the qualcomm units? No idea.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!