Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 10:48 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertif
Hi,
Does anyone know, how to deactivate the camera view when shifting to reverse gear - don't have installed a cam

Thanks a lot for advice!
There is a secret menu that can disable this.

Depending on which unit you own QUALCOMM vs 7862, it is a different method + code to access that menu.

Last edited by myw; 03-23-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:17 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

I'll do my best to answer some of the questions here that have not been answered previously.

Originally Posted by smrpr
Now, question time:

3 - The cables in my harness labeled "Brake", "Key1", "Key2". What are they?
I believe that *brake - is for cars that don't have a canBus adapter that can detect the handbrake signal. I believe this signal was used WAY back in the day for cars equipped with DVD/video system (where video capability was only enabled when the handbrake was up). You can ignore this.

*Key1* + "Key2" - is for those of you who have bought an aftermarket steering wheel bluetooth adapter. This was more used for early generation android units that didn't have ***** + buttons (and cars that did not steering wheel controls).

This faceplate was designed so that we can all avoid buying these sorts of things. You can ignore this.

5 - Can I reuse the OEM microphone? If so, how? The one that comes with the unit is bulky and ugly, but I'll install it if I can't reuse the OEM one because I have an Android HU in another car and the integrated mic sucks.
I believe there is was an oem to aftermarket mic 2.5"mm adapter for the 991s since the 991s in japan use an aftermarket clarion PCM. You will need this adapter if you want to use the oem 997 mic.

Keep in mind that while most of our cars have a mic inside the steering column (normally mounted on the left side) - this mic i believe has to do with the bose noise cancelling function so it is not to be confused with the oem telephone mic (which is mounted on the right side of the steering column for NorthAmerican cars). The LEFT nose cancelling mic doesn't get routed into the PCM area (when I looked).

The oem phone microphone is only equipped in cars that have the oem phone option installed (most of our cars do not). If the inside of your steering column doesn't have a mic in the RIGHT slot, you will have to use the aftermarket mic regardless.

6 - Where is the OEM GPS antenna located? The connector I have in my Amazon cart is 30cm long (12 inches), will it be long enough or should I get a longer one?
oem gps antenna is in the frunk connected to the CD changer unit. So 12 inches wont be long enough.

I think some people have been able to intercept the GPS cable around the air filter area as there could have been a cable junction point there.

7 - In the harness number 3 in the photo there’s a wire which says AMP CONT. Where does that one go?
From what I recall - this should be spliced to the most adapter - as it will turn it on (switched power).

8 - Am I overthinking this?
I think you're being pretty thorough.

Last edited by myw; 03-23-2024 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smrpr (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 06:43 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by A911Fan
It was pinned wrong for my car. I don’t know what car you have. Initially the HU would not turn off even after I have locked my car and walked away from it. Then I did what the guy on YouTube did a few post back and took the multimeter to find the wire that loses power after taking the keys out. I have a time stamp on his vid. Then I repinned it to that wire and now it turns off.
Mine is a 997.1 manual with Bose. Ok, I will connect it as-is and if when removing the key it doesn't turn off I'll know I have to change it.

Originally Posted by myw
I believe that *brake - is for cars that don't have a canBus adapter that can detect the handbrake signal. I believe this signal was used WAY back in the day for cars equipped with DVD/video system (where video capability was only enabled when the handbrake was up). You can ignore this.

*Key1* + "Key2" - is for those of you who have bought an aftermarket steering wheel bluetooth adapter. This was more used for early generation android units that didn't have ***** + buttons (and cars that did not steering wheel controls).

This faceplate was designed so that we can all avoid buying these sorts of things. You can ignore this.
Perfect, that simplifies my install

Originally Posted by myw
I believe there is was an oem to aftermarket mic 2.5"mm adapter for the 991s since the 991s in japan use an aftermarket clarion PCM. You will need this adapter if you want to use the oem 997 mic.

Keep in mind that while most of our cars have a mic inside the steering column (normally mounted on the left side) - this mic i believe has to do with the bose noise cancelling function so it is not to be confused with the oem telephone mic (which is mounted on the right side of the steering column for NorthAmerican cars). The LEFT nose cancelling mic doesn't get routed into the PCM area (when I looked).

The oem phone microphone is only equipped in cars that have the oem phone option installed (most of our cars do not). If the inside of your steering column doesn't have a mic in the RIGHT slot, you will have to use the aftermarket mic regardless.
My car is an European one and it wasn't optioned with the phone. I happen to have opened to steering column couple of weeks ago while doing my 991 steering wheel install and that's when I saw the microphone. As you say it is on the left side. But it looks like a nice spot to install it so I'll probably use the right side as it was empty.

Originally Posted by myw
oem gps antenna is in the frunk connected to the CD changer unit. So 12 inches wont be long enough.

I think some people have been able to intercept the GPS cable around the air filter area as there could have been a cable junction point there.
I'm going to try my luck. I think European cars were different in this sense as they had the GPS connector right in the back of the head unit (blue FAKRA connector) as opposed to the American cars which have the connection in the frunk:

Originally Posted by myw
From what I recall - this should be spliced to the most adapter - as it will turn it on (switched power).
That's the part I'm less sure about - and the reason why I tagged Matt since he said he's installed a couple of these lately. We'll see, I guess it's getting switched power from that cable or from the unused connector I'll remove.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:12 PM
A911Fan
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after pulling the rear panel under the rear window off, then looking at the engine bay and the rear bumper...I think I'm going to hand off the rear camera install to the pro's. Most shops quoted me 3 hours to do it and with some of the panels already removed for easier access, I think it won't be too expensive in the end.

On the topic of android head units, I have the 7862 with 8gb and 128gb of storage. I use an iphone so I am mostly using this unit for carplay. But I am interesting in exploring the android side of things. What other cool things can I do with it since I did get a slightly higher spec version of the unit? Are there any additional must have apps to load? Should I bother getting a 4G/LTE sim card for the unit?

@smrpr I didn't have to do anything with the AMP CONT wire. Try without it first and see if you get audio...you might not need to do anything with it either. I think it is only used if you have an aftermarket amp? But I didn't have to do anything to it

Edit: I ended up doing a part of the install anyways...so far I've pulled the wire through the rear tail lights. Just figuring how to drill the hole in the bumper now. Will continue tomorrow.

Edit #2: Yea I will take it to a shop to get my bumper pulled and drilled. My plan of taking out the plate LED light and then snaking up didn’t work as well as I had hoped. But for those that are planning on tackling it themselves, pulling the wire through to the tail light was probably the hardest part of the install. I used a long drill bit like the YouTube videos mentioned and you don’t have to go very far to pierce it. Didn’t use a drill, just hand twisted it. I’d say about an inch is enough. Then snake the zip tie through from the tail light to the front of the car, tape the wire to the zip tie and pull. And that’s it.

Last edited by A911Fan; 03-24-2024 at 05:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by A911Fan:
Einsteiny (03-25-2024), smrpr (03-23-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 04:59 AM
Haalex
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an Otowsin unit for a 996.1. It's an early european car, with PCM1, CD changer and poverty-spec hifi (no door speakers). Not interested in 4G / GPS / backup camera, I just want to be able to run Carplay.
Has anyone done one of these? And if yes, are we talking about a straight plug-and-play swap or is there some wiring / fabrication involved? Do the units come with instructions?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 03-25-2024, 12:45 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, my HU turned up today, so after a couple of months of reading your installs, I am ready to ask about mine sorry in advance about the lengthy post but I want to do it right the first time.

First things first, this is my setup:

- 997.1 manual car with BOSE, European.
- not planning on installing rear camera for the time being
- Heregoes unit (this one: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005005086544248.html) - 7862 processor, MOST box, 8G RAM

My plan:

1 - Cut the connector off the main harness (1 in the photo above) that does not go with my car (I still need to check which one it is), cover the cut cables with heat shrink.
2 - From the cut cables of the connector I won't be using, get ground, constant power and key on power and solder those to the MOST box (2 in the picture). For Heregoes units (and I'll ping @MattDevoCustoms here because I think these are the ones he recommends), is it safe to assume that I can just connect to cables of the same color (red, yellow, black) on the main harness?
3 - I've also seen a mention of having to power up the BOSE amp. I will check which cable it is in the car connector and then add the pink wire labeled "Auto amp" in the harness to the correct place in the connector (the cables come already pinned, so it's only a matter of putting it where it belongs)
4 - I will replace the antenna and ditch that cable (number 8 in my picture) for a dual fakra one, like this:
5 - I will cut the connectors for the USB cables (4 in my picture) and solder them to this, so I can replace the cigarette lighter in the passenger footwell. Or I may just connect everything even if I have long cables laying around, we'll see:
6 - Since I won't be using a rear camera, I will just connect cable number 9 as it is
7 - Since I won't be adding a SIM card (cable number 3), I'll leave the socket empty and won't use cable number 5
8 - I will replace the GPS antenna with the one that the car already has. For this, I will replace cable number 6 for this one:
9 - I will use two of these cables to bypass the Porsche antenna adapter (passenger side console, under edge of carpet) (couldn't find a dual one):
1) good
2) good. red/yello/black match up directly
3) check which small wire on your factory plug is missing a connection on the Heregoes harness and wire the AMP/ANT wire to to it
4) good
5) for the love of god no. There's zero reason to cut/solder 4 tiny gauge wires for USB when all you need is the 1' port/extension to connect to the HU USB outputs.
6) probably don't need to connect at all
7) good
8) good. the 3" adapter is fine
9) good. only need 6" at most

Now, question time:

1 - I remember reading that I should get one of these if I wanted to remove the nav, or something else that was in the frunk (can't remember what it was now) in order to not "break" the MOST circuit. What was it that could be removed, where is it and is the connector I need to buy male or female?
2 - Regarding point number 3 in my plan, which cable is the one that I need to power, the yellow thin one or the black/red thin one? I've seen it mentioned in the posts that had these images attached, but one of the pictures is missing the red/black cable. That's where my Auto Ant (blue cable in the harness I got) goes?
3 - The cables in my harness labeled "Brake", "Key1", "Key2". What are they?
4 - The connector that comes out of the CANBUS box (white and white/black wire, see picture above), what is it? Does it go to the head unit? I assume it does because there's only one female 8-pin connector.
5 - Can I reuse the OEM microphone? If so, how? The one that comes with the unit is bulky and ugly, but I'll install it if I can't reuse the OEM one because I have an Android HU in another car and the integrated mic sucks.
6 - Where is the OEM GPS antenna located? The connector I have in my Amazon cart is 30cm long (12 inches), will it be long enough or should I get a longer one?
7 - In the harness number 3 in the photo there’s a wire which says AMP CONT. Where does that one go?
8 - Am I overthinking this?
1) unsure
2) check your factory plug, it was the yellow one on the 997.1 w/Bose that I did
3) unnecessary, I remove them. Brake is a signal from canbus if ebrake is engaged or not, used to disable video in motion. key1/2 are for analog steering wheel controls and not needed
4) to the corresponding port on the HU, it's how the HU gets CAN data (including steering wheel controls, temp, etc)
5) no
6) if the GPS antenna connects to the back of the stock HU, then 3" is sufficient. If not, then depends on where the antenna cable terminates
7) not needed / interchangeable with ANT wire on the main plug. powering the antenna adapter will make no difference IME so I wouldn't bother.
8) only w/r/t the USB ports

Last edited by MattDevoCustoms; 03-25-2024 at 12:59 PM.
smrpr (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:57 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Well after pulling the rear panel under the rear window off, then looking at the engine bay and the rear bumper...I think I'm going to hand off the rear camera install to the pro's. Most shops quoted me 3 hours to do it and with some of the panels already removed for easier access, I think it won't be too expensive in the end.

On the topic of android head units, I have the 7862 with 8gb and 128gb of storage. I use an iphone so I am mostly using this unit for carplay. But I am interesting in exploring the android side of things. What other cool things can I do with it since I did get a slightly higher spec version of the unit? Are there any additional must have apps to load? Should I bother getting a 4G/LTE sim card for the unit?

@smrpr I didn't have to do anything with the AMP CONT wire. Try without it first and see if you get audio...you might not need to do anything with it either. I think it is only used if you have an aftermarket amp? But I didn't have to do anything to it

Edit: I ended up doing a part of the install anyways...so far I've pulled the wire through the rear tail lights. Just figuring how to drill the hole in the bumper now. Will continue tomorrow.

Edit #2: Yea I will take it to a shop to get my bumper pulled and drilled. My plan of taking out the plate LED light and then snaking up didn’t work as well as I had hoped. But for those that are planning on tackling it themselves, pulling the wire through to the tail light was probably the hardest part of the install. I used a long drill bit like the YouTube videos mentioned and you don’t have to go very far to pierce it. Didn’t use a drill, just hand twisted it. I’d say about an inch is enough. Then snake the zip tie through from the tail light to the front of the car, tape the wire to the zip tie and pull. And that’s it.
​​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by MattDevoCustoms:
A911Fan (03-29-2024), eclou (03-25-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:48 PM
hmg66
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I’ve ordered one of the Sadocom units and I have a 2005 UK 987 Boxster with the CDR-24 with Bose and a CD changer in the frunk.

Ive figured pretty much all the installation as apart from the MOST adaptor needing to be spliced in to 12V, switched12V and ground it seems fairly straightforward. I have couple of queries regarding the optical signal with the CD changer in the frunk. I’ve seen other installs that mention an optical loop that seems to bypass the CD changer….is this needed?

Also some mention of a connection to power the Amp ?….again is this needed on my car?

TIA.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:05 PM
A911Fan
Track Day

For these android units, do I still need to insert a dedicated sim card for the android navigation to work? It seems like whenever I press the NAV button, it isn't able to find where I am...even though in the settings menu, it says NAV is online.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:33 PM
hmg66
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=A911Fan;19359935]For these android units, do I still need to insert a dedicated sim card for the android navigation to work? It seems like whenever I press the NAV button, it isn't able to find where I am...even though in the settings menu, it says NAV is online.[/QUOTE

I assume you have set up the GPS antenna and located it in next to the battery,frunk side of the bulkhead? Onboard Navigation won’t work without the GPS signal.

You would in theory only need a SIM card only if you’ve downloaded WAZE or something similar to the HU and were wanting to use it without tethering your phone.

If using your phones GPS signal then no need for a separate SIM.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:38 PM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

Lots of good discussion here.
Just did my install. Really, if you're just after a basic install (w/ MOST, w/o backup cam) its as easy as T-ing into 3 wires. The rest is plug and play.

The thing that took me that longest was removing the stock PCCM lol...
myw (04-29-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 03:59 AM
A911Fan
Track Day

Finally got the rear camera installed. For anyone looking to do the same with the 7862 unit, you need to cut the brown wire on the canbus module and then tee the reverse trigger on the convenience line together. Then get power from the rear headlight (blue/black wire) and the ground (brown).
Old 03-31-2024, 07:26 AM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 85 Posts

Finally got the rear camera installed. For anyone looking to do the same with the 7862 unit, you need to cut the brown wire on the canbus module and then tee the reverse trigger on the convenience line together. Then get power from the rear headlight (blue/black wire) and the ground (brown).
I thought we had improved that instal and were now getting the signal from under the driver’s seat?
Old 03-31-2024, 03:20 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

this is not the ideal way to wire the reverse camera, see my posts above

I thought we had improved that instal and were now getting the signal from under the driver’s seat?
we have / we are
irnnr (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:57 AM
Chalaka
AutoX

Just recently changed the HU on the newly purchased 997.
Car has an old WinCE HU installed, and noticed the wires were cut to make the fit. as shown in the picture below

New Android HU comes with all the wires/sockets ready, MOST box prewired with power, AV(sound) cable connected to the wire loom

long story short, i got the new android unit working by connecting those 8 wires(cutted) to those seen on the new connector (luckily they are the same color)
to have the sound output .. just like how the WinCE system was connecting

because the MOST fiber cable didn't seem to output sound, and during the WinCE old setup, those MOST cable was not connected to anything
does this mean, the BOSE amp was bypassed somehow?

The car seems to have cd changer in the front, a DVD rom by the cup holder area..

Questions:
1. how do i troubleshoot to get the fiber working? or the amp working, read somewhere about bypassing the fiber somewhere?
2. for those 8 wires, what are they? and there are 2 brown wires was cut and wrapped aside

or maybe i should just leave it like that ..since all seems to be working .. radio/wifi/sound output/GPS/google maps and etc ..
, but hate to have the idea that there is something installed on the car(the BOSE amp) which is not put into use .. :P

additional note:
I first tried by connect fiber to the MOST box, and power on, no sounds .. then i connect those 8 wires to the socket, then sound is out.
so for now, i leave those fiber cable connected to the MOST box, and install everything back as is.

Last edited by Chalaka; 04-01-2024 at 03:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!