Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 12:25 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by minuit997
Which processor is the best for these? I have heard people talking about the 7862.
Important things to take into account are the amount of RAM, amount of storage and the type of processor in use. You will need a minimum of 4GB of RAM to run your HU smoothly and to give it an element of future-proofing (as most apps require more grunt as they develop over time), but I would recommend 8 GB, which doesn't cost much more and will serve you well for years, allowing you to run the latest, complex apps and to multi-task. For storage, it will depend on how much you intend to load onto your HU. 64 GB would be my minimum, but I would go for 128 GB if possible - you will never run out of space with 128GB.. So I would look for 8GB/128GB if possible.

What is important with the processor is how many cores it has. Older HUs use quad-core (4) processors, but they have now been superceded by octa-core (8) processors and my advice would be to not consider a quad-core at all. Go for an octa-core processor. The UIS7862 is a great octa-core, modern processor which will easily run your HU and Android Auto or Carplay if that is how you intend to go. The 7862 is is very fast and will give you a really smooth Android experience. A good alternative would be the UMS512, which has similar performance and benchmarks as the 7862.

So what you should be looking for, ideally, is 8 GB/128 GB with a modern octa-core processor such as the 7862 or an equivalent.

Old 01-17-2024, 12:42 PM
minuit997
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Important things to take into account are the amount of RAM, amount of storage and the type of processor in use. You will need a minimum of 4GB of RAM to run your HU smoothly and to give it an element of future-proofing (as most apps require more grunt as they develop over time), but I would recommend 8 GB, which doesn't cost much more and will serve you well for years, allowing you to run the latest, complex apps and to multi-task. For storage, it will depend on how much you intend to load onto your HU. 64 GB would be my minimum, but I would go for 128 GB if possible - you will never run out of space with 128GB.. So I would look for 8GB/128GB if possible.

What is important with the processor is how many cores it has. Older HUs use quad-core (4) processors, but they have now been superceded by octa-core (8) processors and my advice would be to not consider a quad-core at all. Go for an octa-core processor. The UIS7862 is a great octa-core, modern processor which will easily run your HU and Android Auto or Carplay if that is how you intend to go. The 7862 is is very fast and will give you a really smooth Android experience. A good alternative would be the UMS512, which has similar performance and benchmarks as the 7862.

So what you should be looking for, ideally, is 8 GB/128 GB with a modern octa-core processor such as the 7862 or an equivalent.
Thank you. I will not be loading anything on the head unit. I only use CarPlay. I want it to be smooth so I will get the most ram. Sound like a good plan?
Old 01-17-2024, 12:48 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by minuit997
Thank you. I will not be loading anything on the head unit. I only use CarPlay. I want it to be smooth so I will get the most ram. Sound like a good plan?
Yes, if you are only, or mainly, only using Carplay you could save a few $$ by getting a unit with 64 GB of storage, but generally, the units with 8 GB of RAM often come with 128 GB of storage anyway. You can never have too much RAM, so don't cut corners there.
The following users liked this post:
minuit997 (01-17-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:30 AM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 81 Posts

Am I correct in assuming that in a 997.1 with Bose I will have to splice into the car harness to get power? There's no other way of doing it? I'd rather not touch the OEM harness at all.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:25 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by smrpr
Am I correct in assuming that in a 997.1 with Bose I will have to splice into the car harness to get power? There's no other way of doing it? I'd rather not touch the OEM harness at all.
no, there is no modification of the OEM harness required. You need to splice into the adapter harness between the HU and OEM plug (the harness that comes with the HU) in order to power the MOST adapter, but that's it.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:26 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
no, there is no modification of the OEM harness required. You need to splice into the adapter harness between the HU and OEM plug (the harness that comes with the HU) in order to power the MOST adapter, but that's it.
Ah, that’s better! Thanks for the info. I will reread the whole thread to understand what needs to be done. I’ll order one of those that XDA has a thread for as I like to tinker with this stuff
Old 01-22-2024, 10:37 PM
Benerly
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this control the conversations on a cellphone also?
Old 01-23-2024, 07:07 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Ah, that’s better! Thanks for the info. I will reread the whole thread to understand what needs to be done. I’ll order one of those that XDA has a thread for as I like to tinker with this stuff
Here you go. This is how I did mine. You can tap into any 12V ACC (red), 12V BATT (yellow) and Ground (black) wires. The box just needs a switched (red) power source, a constant (yellow) power source and a ground (black).

smrpr (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 07:08 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benerly
Does this control the conversations on a cellphone also?
Yes.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:22 AM
smrpr
Instructor

Okay, so, for my 997.1 Carrera with Bose, will be mostly using Carplay and don't need a rear camera:

- I need to buy a 7862 processor based head unit as it allows for more tinkering than the other processors.
- I need to turn the volume all the way up before removing the original head unit in order to have proper volume levels when I install the new one.
- I need to buy a dual fakra adapter in order to not lose radio signal as there is only one plug with the kit.
- I need to buy a converter to use the original GPS antenna in case I want to.
- I need to order a version with the extra MOST adapter
- I need to 3d print some adapters in order to secure it properly.

Am I missing something? From what I understand, Heregoes and Owtowsin stores sell the same product but with different processors, right?
Old 01-23-2024, 07:28 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Short answer:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and don't know as I don't have this unit personally.

Slightly longer answer:

The important thing about the processor is that it has 8 cores and as much RAM as you can get. Octacore, 8Gb/128Gb is as future-proof as you can get right now. 7862 is a good, modern, fast processor.

Turn volume up to 75% on the PCM seems to be the most recommended. I did it that way and sound is perfect.

Get the adapters for radio and GPS from Amazon for a few dollars and then you can exchange them easily if they happen to not fit.

Good luck with the install!
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
irnnr (01-24-2024), smrpr (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:07 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay, so, for my 997.1 Carrera with Bose, will be mostly using Carplay and don't need a rear camera:

- I need to buy a 7862 processor based head unit as it allows for more tinkering than the other processors.
- I need to turn the volume all the way up before removing the original head unit in order to have proper volume levels when I install the new one.
- I need to buy a dual fakra adapter in order to not lose radio signal as there is only one plug with the kit.
- I need to buy a converter to use the original GPS antenna in case I want to.
- I need to order a version with the extra MOST adapter
- I need to 3d print some adapters in order to secure it properly.

Am I missing something? From what I understand, Heregoes and Owtowsin stores sell the same product but with different processors, right?
- you don't need to 3d print adapters, you can simply space out the mounting rails with some washers to make it fit more securely
- you also need to (or at least should) bypass the stock antenna amplifier, just like you would with the PCCM install. You'll need a dual FAKRA M-M cable, 6" or so long
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:24 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
- you don't need to 3d print adapters, you can simply space out the mounting rails with some washers to make it fit more securely
- you also need to (or at least should) bypass the stock antenna amplifier, just like you would with the PCCM install. You'll need a dual FAKRA M-M cable, 6" or so long
Thanks Matt.

I think that cable is what I mention in my third bullet point? Or something else?

Like this one?

Old 01-24-2024, 09:34 AM
Jabra1871
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a way to get the dial screen to display song name? Currently when using android auto it just displays 'USB TOOO'.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:40 AM
jdarwin
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My only complaint with the unit is the built in microphone. Unlike previous units, this one does not accommodate an external mic. I am difficult to hear on the other end (like I'm in a tunnel) but It's a small annoyance since mine is a cab and talking on the phone is a challenge regardless. I simply let it go to vm - I don't want anything to interrupt my drive!

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!