Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 07:56 PM
Jabra1871
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed this video which is in french but the guy pulls the red,yellow, black cables out of the spare cable harness connector and uses wagos to connect MOST (4th minute). Has anyone else done this? Seems far easier than splicing into the used harness.
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 12-30-2023, 08:18 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabra1871
Thanks for the response. I've now got the most wired in (did have to remove protector which I've done) and got some connectors like the ones above. Frustratingly still no sound..
Forgive me if this is obvious (but it has happened more than once with other members) - you are sure you have the two RCA jacks on the MOST harness connected to the correct RCA jacks on the HU harness - that is, the OUTPUT on the HU harness to the INPUT on the MOST box? You wouldn't be the first to connect them to the wrong RCAs. Sometimes people think that because their MOST jacks are (often) labelled as AUX In L and AUX In R, they need to connect them to AUX in on the HU harness, but that is not how to do it).

I marked the ones you need with red arrows on the image below. Red to red, white to white of course. (The other pair of red/white RCAs are auxiliary INPUTS. If you have inadvertently connected the MOST box to those, you won't get any sound.

I don't know your car, but you may also need to hook up the amp turn-on wire, as suggested above by MattDevo.

Last edited by ZedZed; 12-30-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:31 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nMqypf5aG0

I followed this video which is in french but the guy pulls the red,yellow, black cables out of the spare cable harness connector and uses wagos to connect MOST (4th minute). Has anyone else done this? Seems far easier than splicing into the used harness.
So long as you connect the red, yellow and black wires from the MOST box to red, yellow and black wires, it doesn't matter where those wires are. If you feel that depinning the spare harness is easier than splicing into the used harness, do it that way. The important thing is that the MOST box gets ACC 12V+ (red), BATT12V+ (yellow) and GND (black). Personally, I wouldn't use Wago connectors in a car, but so long as you get a good connection, it doesn't really matter how you achieve it. To me. the Wagos look ghettto, but that's just me
Old 12-31-2023, 10:08 AM
Jabra1871
AutoX

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Forgive me if this is obvious (but it has happened more than once with other members) - you are sure you have the two RCA jacks on the MOST harness connected to the correct RCA jacks on the HU harness - that is, the OUTPUT on the HU harness to the INPUT on the MOST box? You wouldn't be the first to connect them to the wrong RCAs. Sometimes people think that because their MOST jacks are (often) labelled as AUX In L and AUX In R, they need to connect them to AUX in on the HU harness, but that is not how to do it).

I marked the ones you need with red arrows on the image below. Red to red, white to white of course. (The other pair of red/white RCAs are auxiliary INPUTS. If you have inadvertently connected the MOST box to those, you won't get any sound.

I don't know your car, but you may also need to hook up the amp turn-on wire, as suggested above by MattDevo.

You're an absolute life saver! It was the cables! I followed the french video which was sent to me by the seller and it appears he connects the wrong cables! Thank you so much!
ZedZed (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 10:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

You're an absolute life saver! It was the cables! I followed the french video which was sent to me by the seller and it appears he connects the wrong cables! Thank you so much!
Haha! Excellent! Glad that worked for you. It's an easy mistake to make. Enjoy

PS. It's typical of these sellers that they know so little about the units they are selling that they actually send out a 'how to' video that shows the unit being incorrectly wired! The more I see like this, the more I am thankful that we have these great forums to guide us!

EDIT: I just looked at the French video again and the guy does actually connect the Audio Out from the harness to the MOST box - see time code 16:10 and the still from the YT video below, and he says "audio out" in the commentary, so please ignore my remark directly above.

Other than the dubious (IMO!) use of Wago connectors, that's a pretty good video I think.

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-01-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Jabra1871 (12-31-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 09:51 PM
iamuwere
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All installed. Happy with the outcomes.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the menu is to convert to Fahrenheit from Celsius. Help?

myw (03-22-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 08:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Duplicate post.

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-02-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:13 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iamuwere
All installed. Happy with the outcomes.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the menu is to convert to Fahrenheit from Celsius. Help?
Try this - go into Settings Menu, then into Factory Menu (code is 3368, not what I show on the image!)) and then look for the Fahrenheit setting.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:18 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^^^

Apologies - my reply is for a different HU. I was in the wrong thread. I've left the post up though because it might help if your settings menus are similar. Somewhere, buried in the settings, is a switch for C to F.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:43 PM
Jabra1871
AutoX

Thanks ZedZed you're right regarding the french video - was my stupidity as the cables were different colours.

The only issue I now have is the volume doesn't go as loud as the OEM PCM. I tried plugging the old headunit back in, cranking the volume to max before quickly turning it off and swapping back. Is there another trick I'm missing? Or is the volume just not going to be as loud?
Old 01-04-2024, 04:15 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Thanks ZedZed you're right regarding the french video - was my stupidity as the cables were different colours.

The only issue I now have is the volume doesn't go as loud as the OEM PCM. I tried plugging the old headunit back in, cranking the volume to max before quickly turning it off and swapping back. Is there another trick I'm missing? Or is the volume just not going to be as loud?
No worries - wiring these units can be a minefield. Regarding the volume, please remember that my experience is with different units but yes, you should be able to fix this. Somewhere in your menus you will find settings that allow you to adjust the relative levels of BT, Siri, Music, Radio etc. Try maxing these out and see if this makes a difference. Also, you may find other sound settings which let you increase the gain. I had exactly the same issue as you with both my HUs (both totally different from each other) and eventually solved it by trawling the menus and looking for sound settings. Remember there is likely to be more than one menu, and some may be in the 'secret' factory menu for which you will need an unlock code.

Also, if you have an iPhone, remember to turn off Sound Check in the settings menu.

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-05-2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:41 PM
jdarwin
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Finished install this afternoon on my 2006 997.1. Thanks to the many contributors on this thread. I read all 77 pages along with viewing multiple youtube videos during the 2 weeks between order and arrival. I was well prepared! I followed the French install video with the exception of soldering the black/yellow/pink wires to the MOST unit. Otherwise, it's truly plug and play. Upon inserting into the dash, the fitment was still a little loose even after playing with the brackets. I finally decided to tighen the 7mm set screw on the right side of the unit and BINGO! Nice and snug. Doesn't move at all. Again, thank you to all who provided their insight and knowledge. I would highly recommend this unit but more importantly, read/view all you can before beginning the install. It eliminates all the guesswork.
ZedZed (01-08-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 12:35 AM
Arbie
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beantownrich
Okay feeling kind of dumb. Not my first stereo, but bout the Owtosin Snapdragon 8 core unit. I have a 987.1 Boxster with Bose. Seller assured me I had everything I needed.

I connected the main harnesses up in the only logical way but can't get the unit to power on. There were two plugs that had the identical input into the stereo but one didn't fit the output from the car. Anyone able to help me unwrap this puzzle?

Two connectors that came with the radio A has a Canbus decoder attached, but doesn't seem to have the write female end and B is what I wound up using.

A Pins

B Pins

All hooked up

Any one smarter than I have thoughts?
@beantownrich How's your head unit doing? I have the same setup as you, 987.1 Boxster with Bose. Looks like I am using B just like you did. I'm installing mine tomorrow. Do you have Dual Fakra antenna? Not sure if that was only a 997 thing or it also applies to 987. Also how/where did you splice the Red ACC cable from the MOST box? Please let me know! Thanks!
Old 01-13-2024, 08:50 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arbie
@beantownrich How's your head unit doing? I have the same setup as you, 987.1 Boxster with Bose. Looks like I am using B just like you did. I'm installing mine tomorrow. Do you have Dual Fakra antenna? Not sure if that was only a 997 thing or it also applies to 987. Also how/where did you splice the Red ACC cable from the MOST box? Please let me know! Thanks!

The 'A' connector (as in image below) is the one that every modern Porsche I have seen uses. I am surprised you could get the 'B' version to connect to the OEM harness. What you need to do is connect the 'A' connector to the OEM harness. You also need the Canbus or you cart won't operate correctly. The 'B' connector looks like the type that you find fitted to Audi and VW cars to me.

You can connect the Red ACC cable from the MOST box to any other red ACC cable on the new harness. The red wire is an ignition-controlled (switched) 12V power wire. Black is ground and yellow is 12V BATT (constant power).

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-13-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:39 AM
Arbie
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
The 'A' connector (as in image below) is the one that every modern Porsche I have seen uses. I am surprised you could get the 'B' version to connect to the OEM harness. What you need to do is connect the 'A' connector to the OEM harness. You also need the Canbus or you cart won't operate correctly. The 'B' connector looks like the type that you find fitted to Audi and VW cars to me.

You can connect the Red ACC cable from the MOST box to any other red ACC cable on the new harness. The red wire is an ignition-controlled (switched) 12V power wire. Black is ground and yellow is 12V BATT (constant power).

Found a video that said A was for Cayennes and the B for 987. But anyway, at least now I know that you would need either of those and not both. So I guess whatever fits the car wins! Found videos that had A and B are on one harness together that some had to cut off the one they don't use, mine came in two separate harnesses.
Re the Red ACC MOST connection, old posts from myw here and on the 997 group said that it goes to the Blue ANT wire. The post is old so I'm wondering if that's still correct and I'm trying to find a more recent post/install specifically Owtosin Qualcomm with Bose 987 as I understand it can vary with what HU and car's sound package.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!