Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 03:59 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Help Please!!!! I purchased an Owtosin HU for my 2006 997.1 S cabriolet with Bose. The install was straight forward thanks to this forum. Everything went together easily, Only problem is NO SOUND!!!!!! i did set the volume at approx 50% prior to removing the PCCM. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm scanned this thread and can't seem to find anything that addresses this issue.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:03 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Help Please!!!! I purchased an Owtosin HU for my 2006 997.1 S cabriolet with Bose. The install was straight forward thanks to this forum. Everything went together easily, Only problem is NO SOUND!!!!!! i did set the volume at approx 50% prior to removing the PCCM. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm scanned this thread and can't seem to find anything that addresses this issue.
- you have the fiber optic conversion box powered and connected to the front RCA outputs of the HU?
- you have the amp turn on wire connected from the HU to the correct pin on the adapter harness?

Hard to say what the problem is since we don't know what you've done. post several pics of your wiring showing all connections so we can try to verify the above
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-25-2023, 05:44 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick response. I will review and post some pics!
Old 10-25-2023, 09:53 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

So this is the fiber optic conversion box:

This is how the red, yellow and black wires are connected:

These are my RCA outputs and how they are connected:

This seems like a possible other option:

Any assistance offered is very much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Michaelc; 10-25-2023 at 09:55 PM. Reason: forgot a line
Old 10-26-2023, 07:28 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

I am not familiar with your head unit, but usually the yellow, red and black wires are connected to wires of the same color. Are you sure that the green wire which is connected to your red wire is the ACC 12v+ from the head unit? Do you have an alternative ACC wire you could try connecting to? I have installed a few head units and on every one the ACC 12v+ has been a red wire.

Have you tested for continuity on the soldered joints? I had a similar problem recently, and I was 100% sure that my joints were all good - so much so that it was the LAST thing I checked when trying to find the cause of the problem. Bingo! One of the joints was bad.

If the fiber optic connector is properly seated in the MOST box, and RCA L&R OUT are connected to the MOST box IN, and the MOST box has power, it's hard to see what's wrong. This assumes the MOST box is working as it should, but that isn't easy to verify. Are you using the standard amplifier that came from Porsche, or an aftermarket amp? If the latter, you need to give it the signal to turn on by connecting the AMP wire as described above by MattDevoCustoms.

With the fiber optic cable removed from the box, and the ignition on, do you see a red light when you look at the fiber optic cable connector? If you do, then signal is reaching the MOST box. The fiber optic connector is inserted correctly? Theoretically it can only be inserted one way, but I somehow still managed on one occasion to insert it the wrong way around.

Last edited by ZedZed; 10-26-2023 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:07 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 495 Posts

2008 w/ Bose and Owtosin unit, I never used any RCA cables. I would double check that.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:02 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
2008 w/ Bose and Owtosin unit, I never used any RCA cables. I would double check that.
Thank you for the suggestions. I unplugged the RC cables this morning and it did not change anything.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:18 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I am not familiar with your head unit, but usually the yellow, red and black wires are connected to wires of the same color. Are you sure that the green wire which is connected to your red wire is the ACC 12v+ from the head unit? Do you have an alternative ACC wire you could try connecting to? I have installed a few head units and on every one the ACC 12v+ has been a red wire.

Have you tested for continuity on the soldered joints? I had a similar problem recently, and I was 100% sure that my joints were all good - so much so that it was the LAST thing I checked when trying to find the cause of the problem. Bingo! One of the joints was bad.

If the fiber optic connector is properly seated in the MOST box, and RCA L&R OUT are connected to the MOST box IN, and the MOST box has power, it's hard to see what's wrong. This assumes the MOST box is working as it should, but that isn't easy to verify. Are you using the standard amplifier that came from Porsche, or an aftermarket amp? If the latter, you need to give it the signal to turn on by connecting the AMP wire as described above by MattDevoCustoms.

With the fiber optic cable removed from the box, and the ignition on, do you see a red light when you look at the fiber optic cable connector? If you do, then signal is reaching the MOST box. The fiber optic connector is inserted correctly? Theoretically it can only be inserted one way, but I somehow still managed on one occasion to insert it the wrong way around.
I will check the acc 12v+ again this evening.
I will check the soldered joints one more time.
I have the RCA MOST IN connected to the RCA L&R Front Out.
The orange fiber optic cable is seated properly.
I see no red lights for the fiber optic cable anywhere.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:40 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

as stated before, the red wire to the fiber optic box is not connected properly. What made you connect it to that green wire? Connect it to the red wire going between the HU and the CANBUS box.

I also don't see the amp turn on wire connected on the lower block with the yellow/black wires. Post a pic of both sides of that connector
Old 10-26-2023, 11:54 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
I don't see how that's possible -- the Bose amp gets the speaker outputs from the HU via MOST, and if you don't have anything connected to the MOST adapter box, you're not going to get any output from the speakers. The only other outputs from the HU are the speaker level outputs on the main harness (white/gray/purple/green) which connect to the middle plug on the factory adapter. Those only feed an amp if you have the PSS option which I thought was separate from Bose...
ZedZed (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 12:10 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
as stated before, the red wire to the fiber optic box is not connected properly. What made you connect it to that green wire? Connect it to the red wire going between the HU and the CANBUS box.

I also don't see the amp turn on wire connected on the lower block with the yellow/black wires. Post a pic of both sides of that connector

Thanks for the direction. I will try that all later this afternoon and put up some pics.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:33 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

I will check the acc 12v+ again this evening.
I will check the soldered joints one more time.
I have the RCA MOST IN connected to the RCA L&R Front Out.
The orange fiber optic cable is seated properly.
I see no red lights for the fiber optic cable anywhere.
It's the red ACC wire. It should be red to red not red to green. @MattDevoCustoms has confirmed the same thing. Try that before you do anything else.

The red light which you can see if you look into the end of the orange fiber optic cable (with ignition on) is the actual signal. Don't worry about that - your problem is that the MOST box has no power IMO.

Last edited by ZedZed; 10-26-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:44 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 495 Posts

I don't see how that's possible -- the Bose amp gets the speaker outputs from the HU via MOST, and if you don't have anything connected to the MOST adapter box, you're not going to get any output from the speakers. The only other outputs from the HU are the speaker level outputs on the main harness (white/gray/purple/green) which connect to the middle plug on the factory adapter. Those only feed an amp if you have the PSS option which I thought was separate from Bose...
I have to double check that....but I don't remember hooking up RCA cables.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:27 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Here's a pic of the amp turn on wire on the factory power/ground plug: it's the thin wire shown here:

check the Owtosin harness to make sure there is a wire going to that pin. If not, the Bose amp will not turn on. This is not included from the factory on any of the harnesses I've seen.
ZedZed (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 03:07 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the amp turn on wire on the factory power/ground plug: it's the thin wire shown here:

check the Owtosin harness to make sure there is a wire going to that pin. If not, the Bose amp will not turn on. This is not included from the factory on any of the harnesses I've seen.
Thank you, I will check it out. So that wire needs power going to it, yes?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!