Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 01:57 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Correct, all the other ones are the wholesale/private units (cheaper parts - from the internals right to the casing, construction, lack of standardization, scalability, and ultimately expected reliability). I apologize that they use my faceplate (with features that wont work... ie SD card wont work on the cheaper units) - it was something I never expected to happen and it is beyond my control.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

coupon code MYWOCM2

Thank you @Graufuchs

Originally Posted by Bomba
What is the current link to this unit?

There seem to be a lot of them on Ali.

Last edited by myw; 03-13-2023 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 03:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by leloupgris
Not sure how to check this honestly. I have looked around, but have not found the voltage it's supposed to carry.
no worries + thank you for all your help here.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:59 PM
997_flo
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
let bob@owTowsin know you want the Michael wong camera -there will be no mistakes this way.

If anything pm me directly and I will go over ur order to make sure no mistakes re options + specs and bob will get back you directly.

re camera - I used this cam front AND back

There is a new low profile rear backup cam that goes into the bulb light that won’t require drilling but is more of a pain in the butt to install as drilling is fast and easy.

Of course the drilled cam will look better as it’s still in the middle.

For the drill cam in the front bumper - make sure to lemme know b4 you drill - you don’t want to drill into one of the attachment brackets in the front bumper retrainer frame - I was able to figure out the measurements of where the bracket points WOULDNT be …. without removing the bumper.
Glad to hear this head unit supports a front camera. I have retrofitted a front and rear camera to work on my PCM 2.0 via a video interface and do not want to lose that functionality. How do you trigger the front camera to turn on? Mine turns on manually by a toggle switch.

Going to read through the rest of this thread before I bite the bullet on this AliExpress unit.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:15 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997_flo
Glad to hear this head unit supports a front camera. I have retrofitted a front and rear camera to work on my PCM 2.0 via a video interface and do not want to lose that functionality. How do you trigger the front camera to turn on? Mine turns on manually by a toggle switch.
Not all units support a front camera, several of the lower end units do not in order to save cost, this also includes having all the SD card slot being fully removed as well (from the rear). With that said, both the cheap + higher quality units both use my faceplate.

The front camera turns on in 2 ways - via the Fcam app (i have this rom/bios app mapped to my steering wheel as well as to the CAR button on the unit itself).

This app will also turn on the rear camera as well - giving you access to both cameras at the touch of a button. When pulling up to a curb, I just press a button on my steering wheel and the front camera turns on.

The other way the front camera turns on when it comes on automatically after the car comes out of reverse gear (for up to 10 seconds), this feature of course can be turned off. But it is very easy to see why a front parking camera turning on automatically when the car comes out of reverse gear is super useful when doing 3-point (or multi Point) turns.

There are no physical external toggle switches - everything is controlled via the pcm deck itself, or the mappable oem steering wheel buttons. It is fully intended to look and function as factory - with everything integrated into the main android radio. This also goes for all android car accessories such as the smart dash cam, the DAB+ unit, the tpms unit, the 360 degree cam unit, etc.

With that said, the power + GND from the cameras is to be routed directly to be controlled by ONLY the android head unit itself. This ensures that the cameras are only on when the deck says so (extending the life of the cams) - as well as ensuring no manual splices into the cars various harnesses (ie. reverse light) causes any video interference problems (which i have seen in some installs). The android head unit still of course is sent a reverse trigger signal (either from the reverse light or the main kick panel beside the fusebox), so that the reverse camera flips on via the android units internal relay (as expected).

On a final note - in addition to potentially rewiring the cameras, you will definitely want to install the new front + rear AHD cameras. The quality is similar to high quality oem cameras from today - i was shocked the signal was passed thru via the good old analog RCA video cables

Last edited by myw; 03-13-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:10 PM
997_flo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
Not all units support a front camera, several of the lower end units do not in order to save cost, this also includes having all the SD card slot being fully removed as well (from the rear). With that said, both the cheap + higher quality units both use my faceplate.

The front camera turns on in 2 ways - via the Fcam app (i have this rom/bios app mapped to my steering wheel as well as to the CAR button on the unit itself).

This app will also turn on the rear camera as well - giving you access to both cameras at the touch of a button. When pulling up to a curb, I just press a button on my steering wheel and the front camera turns on.

The other way the front camera turns on when it comes on automatically after the car comes out of reverse gear (for up to 10 seconds), this feature of course can be turned off. But it is very easy to see why a front parking camera turning on automatically when the car comes out of reverse gear is super useful when doing 3-point (or multi Point) turns.

There are no physical external toggle switches - everything is controlled via the pcm deck itself, or the mappable oem steering wheel buttons. It is fully intended to look and function as factory - with everything integrated into the main android radio. This also goes for all android car accessories such as the smart dash cam, the DAB+ unit, the tpms unit, the 360 degree cam unit, etc.

With that said, the power + GND from the cameras is to be routed directly to be controlled by ONLY the android head unit itself. This ensures that the cameras are only on when the deck says so (extending the life of the cams) - as well as ensuring no manual splices into the cars various harnesses (ie. reverse light) causes any video interference problems (which i have seen in some installs). The android head unit still of course is sent a reverse trigger signal (either from the reverse light or the main kick panel beside the fusebox), so that the reverse camera flips on via the android units internal relay (as expected).

On a final note - in addition to potentially rewiring the cameras, you will definitely want to install the new front + rear AHD cameras. The quality is similar to high quality oem cameras from today - i was shocked the signal was passed thru via the good old analog RCA video cables
Thank you for the detailed reply. Sounds like the PCM deck can essentially be programmed as a 'toggle' button so that is good news.
I also already have AHD cameras installed
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-16-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 07:17 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by RLR997
4. I have a 997.1 Turbo, tiptronic, how do I route the reverse camera most easily if the rear passenger grommet doesn't work?
I routed mine through the driver's rear grommet. I removed the interior panels for the B pillar, the C pillar, the Bose Sub, the rear package shelf and panel below the rear windshield. You can just barely see the grommet from the interior that was and was enough to fish a coathanger through. Then I tucked the wiring under the carpet to the drivers kick panel. It was tedious but doable.

Last edited by eclou; 03-13-2023 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eclou:
myw (03-13-2023), RLR997 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 01:53 PM
997_flo
Rennlist Member

@myw reading through the thread and FB group it sounds like the Qualcomm (QCM) CPU model is the one designed by you.

Aside from the different RAM/ROM configurations of the QCM units are there any other differences?
  • ie. Do the 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM models have any other differences than the 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM models aside from the CPU?

My specific needs are BOSE and the ability to plug in a front/rear camera. I do not need the configurations that come with the camera unit or steering wheel control. Can you confirm that I will need either the QCM 4/64 or 6/128 with optical fiber power amplifier configuration only?
The following 2 users liked this post by 997_flo:
Bomba (03-14-2023), YarraMates (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:57 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

@myw reading through the thread and FB group it sounds like the Qualcomm (QCM) CPU model is the one designed by you.

Aside from the different RAM/ROM configurations of the QCM units are there any other differences?
  • ie. Do the 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM models have any other differences than the 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM models aside from the CPU?

My specific needs are BOSE and the ability to plug in a front/rear camera. I do not need the configurations that come with the camera unit or steering wheel control. Can you confirm that I will need either the QCM 4/64 or 6/128 with optical fiber power amplifier configuration only?
Was about to order the PX6 4/64 version but will await the answer to @997_flo 's question. Also, this thing is going to be over $600 from Owtosin Offical store. Is that the going price now?
Old 03-16-2023, 10:53 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

The RockChip PX5/PX6 CPU models support up to 5 usb inputs despite being slower + older.

The QuallComm CPU supports only 3 usb inputs as it needed one of the harnesses for the SimCard internet connection.

For my car when I had the PX6.... I used usb1 - phone charging 5v+, usb 2 - mediaInput, usb 3 - TPMS module (my car is 2005), usb 4 - smartDashCam ADAS module (one of the coolest add ons for the android decks).
Since I lost 2 USB inputs with the QCM - I added a separate phone charging USB port in dependent of android radio.

SD card slot works for both - there is a possibility that the RockChip CPU doesnt come with the adjustable function dials and come with a diff android OS (based on the testing units I had played with).

For certain the QCM comes with the Canbus module, hardware DSP chip, and IPS screen in the price, I am not sure about the rockChip CPU units (as when they were released these were paid options).

The Canbus module is needed, not just for steering wheel controls. As an example, I cant see anyone wanting to go into the menu to manually dim + brighten the screen every time you turn the headlamps on/off, you want it all tied and working together, working as close to factory as possible. There are other things the canbus does to connect with other oem functions of the car.

For sure the PX6 (2020 cpu) and newer (QCM) will support the front camera, I am not sure about the PX5 as I never tested those units. PX5 is a 2019 cpu.

People ask if the newer cpu / memory is better, the answer is yes always - i mean an iphone8 can still technically do the same stuff that an iphone14 does.

Last edited by myw; 03-16-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:11 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by YarraMates
Was about to order the PX6 4/64 version but will await the answer to @997_flo 's question. Also, this thing is going to be over $600 from Owtosin Offical store. Is that the going price now?
There will be another version, sold outside of aliExpress (the faceplate wont be available on the cheap units) that will sell for slightly more - it will have the 2024 cpu's and further android hardware / software changes.

But will have a faceplate + dials (fully light up) - that will have an even better color match + a design that will look practically oem. Alongside install manual/video + mounting hardware to ensure perfect fitment. It will be approx a year before this happens.
The following 3 users liked this post by myw:
997_flo (03-16-2023), eclou (03-16-2023), Einsteiny (03-21-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 03:24 PM
997_flo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
The RockChip PX5/PX6 CPU models support up to 5 usb inputs despite being slower + older.

The QuallComm CPU supports only 3 usb inputs as it needed one of the harnesses for the SimCard internet connection.

For my car when I had the PX6.... I used usb1 - phone charging 5v+, usb 2 - mediaInput, usb 3 - TPMS module (my car is 2005), usb 4 - smartDashCam ADAS module (one of the coolest add ons for the android decks).
Since I lost 2 USB inputs with the QCM - I added a separate phone charging USB port in dependent of android radio.

SD card slot works for both - there is a possibility that the RockChip CPU doesnt come with the adjustable function dials and come with a diff android OS (based on the testing units I had played with).

For certain the QCM comes with the Canbus module, hardware DSP chip, and IPS screen in the price, I am not sure about the rockChip CPU units (as when they were released these were paid options).

The Canbus module is needed, not just for steering wheel controls. As an example, I cant see anyone wanting to go into the menu to manually dim + brighten the screen every time you turn the headlamps on/off, you want it all tied and working together, working as close to factory as possible. There are other things the canbus does to connect with other oem functions of the car.

For sure the PX6 (2020 cpu) and newer (QCM) will support the front camera, I am not sure about the PX5 as I never tested those units. PX5 is a 2019 cpu.

People ask if the newer cpu / memory is better, the answer is yes always - i mean an iphone8 can still technically do the same stuff that an iphone14 does.
Appreciate this reply! Now that you posted about the new version coming out in a year I dont know if I should just wait for that. Its a good problem to have thought
Old 03-17-2023, 12:58 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just chatted with Owtosin rep and he confirmed that PX6 version does have CANBUS.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:03 PM
SIM9er
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Received mine a few weeks ago and just got around to installing in my .2 non-Bose. It was fairly plug and play, once I had installed the dab aerial and new gps. I do need to sort out the support bracket though. I got the Qualcomm 6+128. Kudos Michael for the design! Saves me buying a newer car :-)

I have a couple of issues, it is too loud on Volume Setting 1 and has a noticeable hiss, managed to drop it a bit in the Amp app using the Fader but could do with reducing more. Some people say this can be done in factory settings but I don’t seem to be able to access that with the version number trick, any ideas? I did reinstall the PCM and drop the volume all the way down, then reconnect the new unit, but it made no difference.

Also not able to scan any DAB stations so will need to spend some time debugging that.

The following 3 users liked this post by SIM9er:
997_flo (03-18-2023), Einsteiny (03-21-2023), myw (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 02:53 PM
SIM9er
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIM9er
Received mine a few weeks ago and just got around to installing in my .2 non-Bose. It was fairly plug and play, once I had installed the dab aerial and new gps. I do need to sort out the support bracket though. I got the Qualcomm 6+128. Kudos Michael for the design! Saves me buying a newer car :-)

I have a couple of issues, it is too loud on Volume Setting 1 and has a noticeable hiss, managed to drop it a bit in the Amp app using the Fader but could do with reducing more. Some people say this can be done in factory settings but I don’t seem to be able to access that with the version number trick, any ideas? I did reinstall the PCM and drop the volume all the way down, then reconnect the new unit, but it made no difference.

Also not able to scan any DAB stations so will need to spend some time debugging that.
Managed to sort the volume problem. When I went back in, Factory Settings was enabled, used password 126 and dropped the levels under the Voice Tab, they were set very high. Just need to sort the hiss through the speakers and the DAB not working.
The following 3 users liked this post by SIM9er:
Einsteiny (03-21-2023), myw (03-18-2023), nydog (03-19-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 12:33 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SIM9er
Managed to sort the volume problem. When I went back in, Factory Settings was enabled, used password 126 and dropped the levels under the Voice Tab, they were set very high. Just need to sort the hiss through the speakers and the DAB not working.
What isn't working with the DAB? Mine is OK, but reception is poor when moving. I am trying to figure out how to connect via the existing antenna rather than the windscreen one.

@myw For the Fakra to DIN connection I see you recommended the dual connector? Why is that if the GPS has its own seperate antenna? Additionally how did you wire the blue cable? Were does it go as I am confused also about powering some whiote wire to the a switched fuse to enable the antenna amplifier?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!