Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 12:40 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way, is it Owtosin or OwTowsin as some are referring to them? Did I buy from the wrong supplier ?

Old 05-31-2023, 02:24 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

@myw Thanks for all you have done here in trying to come up with an affordable option to the PCCM, it's price is absurdly high and clearly there's a market for a reasonable alternative.

I hope you don't mind if I offer some unsolicited observations as someone who's been watching this thread since it was first launched. I bought one early when the thread was first launched nearly four years ago by @MrGatsby . In hindsight, the fact he disappeared after 12 posts makes me think he was a shill the entire time. I pulled my unit out as the lack of a physical volume control (the design back then) made it unusable and frankly dangerous to operate, and other oddities such as slow boot and response made it frustrating to use. Plus I never could match the silver paint (they were all black back then) so thanks for getting that resolved.

In reading about your discussion with "the owner" and "Bob" it sounds to me like you are being misled, to what end I'm not sure. The owner sounds like the typical operator we know all too well, who doesn't care about product quality or reputation, but is happy to flood the market with junk. The fact that this junk competes with his "quality" line doesn't seem to bother him. Nor does the fact that the junk undermines his company's reputation. Last off, the private vs. public graphic looks like the typical marketing stuff you see from every Chinese company, they all claim their competitors are garbage and they are superior for a bunch of arcane reasons.

It sounds like all the suggestions you send to Bob are answered with, "yes, yes, very good idea" then are ignored. There's only two explanations for this and neither is good, they are lying to you or they are incompetent. I'm a naturally suspicious person so I go with the former but the latter isn't much better. Either they are committed to a quality product and good customer service or they aren't, they really can't have it both ways. This idea of a split-personality company that has a quality line and a junk line just isn't realistic as it's a schizophrenic corporate culture.

Where there is a potential opportunity is to resell the Chinese units with quality customer service (like NM Automotive does with the Carplay units). It requires a lot of work to fully understand the units and the idiosyncrasies, develop comprehensive instructions and documentation in understandable English, and set up quality customer service. This stuff is hard to do particularly when a good chunk of those people calling customer service are not the sharpest tools in the shed. But it seems to me like their might be a niche opportunity here (as NM Automotive showed) and you mentioned about thinking about doing something along these lines.

Anyways, thanks for what you are doing here and I hope it does get to a good place. The Porsche Tax on PCCMs is ridiculous and there has to be a better solution.

Last edited by PV997; 05-31-2023 at 11:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PV997:
myw (06-21-2023), T0m (06-07-2023), TonD (06-01-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 09:58 AM
fridsten
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

@myw I am in awe of your work!
I saw this unit in a car at a Porsche meetup here in Sweden and it' awesome! I replaced the factory PCM1 in my 986 Boxster with an Android unit a few years ago and this is so much better.
Is there any chance there will be a 986/996 version of this? If so, is there anything I can do to help?
The following users liked this post:
myw (06-21-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 02:34 AM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
Hi T0m

in usa, the .1 cars need both the BROWN + BLACK fakra adapters. I had to have both connected for decent FM / AM signal. I also noticed on the pccm+ that they used some other closed off loop cable/disable (haven't fully looked into it) to get the radio working right. If only one adapter is connected, you will be missing something as the radio uses the 2-antenna diversity system.

I have msged Bob a while back directly asking him whats going on re your issue - he did state that he will refund/deal with your issue
they haven't refunded anything mate... just a measly 90 dollars because aliexpress forced their hands,

the HU from owtosin i got only came with 1 fakra adapter... & they never suggested to ship the missing hardware i paid for.

i basically got left with a 800 $ paperweight... this whole thing has been ridiculous & dissapointing

Last edited by T0m; 06-08-2023 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:36 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,739 Posts

I decided to go with an Alpine. Professionally installed.

Didnt want any hassle. Hate interior work.

Has car play. Much better than the 18 year old stock unit I have now.

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:01 AM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just

got the Mr12Volt installed by @Roman ACS and it’s awesome. Spent months deciding which CarPlay option to go with and I’m very glad i deliberated and picked Roman’s solution. Definitely recommend going this route. Fiber optic audio is so important, and it’s a night and day difference from the Bovee to IPod connection i was using. Thank you!!! Worth the $975 it cost me to buy the thing from Roman and have it all installed in my 997.2 and I’m very glad to not have to look at my phone for directions all the time

Last edited by vokain; 06-15-2023 at 05:08 PM.
myw (06-21-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 02:42 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you add a backup camera?
Old 06-15-2023, 05:06 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Did you add a backup camera?
not this time but the connections for the cameras are ready to go
Old 06-16-2023, 01:13 AM
Francky
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all !
I ordered the Owtosin Qualcomm 6G/128G with rear camera, for my 997.1 (no Bose, no SPP). Installed everything without any major problem.
2 issues left :
1/ little white noise in background : maybe related to the single FAKRA instead of Dual (?). I ordered one Dual on Amazon and will try it in 2 days. Hopefully it will be ok
2/ The door midrange speakers work properly with the new Android unit, but the front door woofer speakers do not work anymore. This is not a speaker issue as I tested them with the old PCM unit and they worked fine ! when I reconnected everything to the new Android unit, I figured out that there were no voltage in the door woofer speakers (there is with the old PCM unit..). Am I the only one to experience this voltage issue ? don't really know what to do..
thanks for your help

Last edited by Francky; 06-16-2023 at 01:14 AM.
myw (06-21-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 04:08 AM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Francky
Hi all !
I ordered the Owtosin Qualcomm 6G/128G with rear camera, for my 997.1 (no Bose, no SPP). Installed everything without any major problem.
2 issues left :
1/ little white noise in background : maybe related to the single FAKRA instead of Dual (?). I ordered one Dual on Amazon and will try it in 2 days. Hopefully it will be ok
2/ The door midrange speakers work properly with the new Android unit, but the front door woofer speakers do not work anymore. This is not a speaker issue as I tested them with the old PCM unit and they worked fine ! when I reconnected everything to the new Android unit, I figured out that there were no voltage in the door woofer speakers (there is with the old PCM unit..). Am I the only one to experience this voltage issue ? don't really know what to do..
thanks for your help
Sounds like you have an SPP / ASK amplifier ;-)
It needs 12v to start. One wire needs to be repinned or spliced, from memory it's blue and is in pin 5 of the connector and needs to go to pin 2 (antenna 12v). Before splicing anything, check behind the warning triangle in your frunk if there's an amp.
myw (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 03:24 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by fridsten
@myw I am in awe of your work!
I saw this unit in a car at a Porsche meetup here in Sweden and it' awesome! I replaced the factory PCM1 in my 986 Boxster with an Android unit a few years ago and this is so much better. Is there any chance there will be a 986/996 version of this? If so, is there anything I can do to help?
Thanks FridSten - I am happy that my pcm design is making its rounds worldwide. the 996 version I may do - but i am stepping away from this for at least 6 months. I have to see the factories in person , see how things work, see what can/cant be changed b4 I fund anything out of pocket to commit to anything further. This entire ordeal ate up alot of my time with very little reward... and caused lots of personal headaches re having my designs / instructions ignored and the amount of time required to put out the fires.

Originally Posted by PV997
@myw Thanks for all you have done here in trying to come up with an affordable option to the PCCM, it's price is absurdly high and clearly there's a market for a reasonable alternative.

I hope you don't mind if I offer some unsolicited observations as someone who's been watching this thread since it was first launched. I bought one early when the thread was first launched nearly four years ago by @MrGatsby . In hindsight, the fact he disappeared after 12 posts makes me think he was a shill the entire time. I pulled my unit out as the lack of a physical volume control (the design back then) made it unusable and frankly dangerous to operate, and other oddities such as slow boot and response made it frustrating to use. Plus I never could match the silver paint (they were all black back then) so thanks for getting that resolved.

In reading about your discussion with "the owner" and "Bob" it sounds to me like you are being misled, to what end I'm not sure. The owner sounds like the typical operator we know all too well, who doesn't care about product quality or reputation, but is happy to flood the market with junk. The fact that this junk competes with his "quality" line doesn't seem to bother him. Nor does the fact that the junk undermines his company's reputation. Last off, the private vs. public graphic looks like the typical marketing stuff you see from every Chinese company, they all claim their competitors are garbage and they are superior for a bunch of arcane reasons.

It sounds like all the suggestions you send to Bob are answered with, "yes, yes, very good idea" then are ignored. There's only two explanations for this and neither is good, they are lying to you or they are incompetent. I'm a naturally suspicious person so I go with the former but the latter isn't much better. Either they are committed to a quality product and good customer service or they aren't, they really can't have it both ways. This idea of a split-personality company that has a quality line and a junk line just isn't realistic as it's a schizophrenic corporate culture.

Where there is a potential opportunity is to resell the Chinese units with quality customer service (like NM Automotive does with the Carplay units). It requires a lot of work to fully understand the units and the idiosyncrasies, develop comprehensive instructions and documentation in understandable English, and set up quality customer service. This stuff is hard to do particularly when a good chunk of those people calling customer service are not the sharpest tools in the shed. But it seems to me like their might be a niche opportunity here (as NM Automotive showed) and you mentioned about thinking about doing something along these lines.

Anyways, thanks for what you are doing here and I hope it does get to a good place. The Porsche Tax on PCCMs is ridiculous and there has to be a better solution.

PV997 - i hear everything you are saying. And I do agree re the way the business works over there. They just dont care and everything is a huge race to the bottom. I tell bob all the time that had i known they woulld come out with their own competing lower end line under the same brand, I wouldn't have bothered. The ONLY experience I had was with their 2020 unit which at the time was top of the line specs with the silver rear heatsink - there was no reason for me to assume anything lesser quality moving forward.

There is a huge shift in mentality over there - and I dont think the image re what bob sent me, I do believe he believes its the truth. I guess a year from now the reliability of everything will come out - thats another reason I want to wait before going any further with this. The official porsche one, I havent checked in a while but it was like at 130 pages the thread re opening up the units to get stuff to work - alot of the stuff in this space (branded or not) is rushed to make $$ - big company or small. It is sadly what it is in many cases.

While I agree there is a HUGE niche market I could satisfy - I would only do so if i branded it myself, manual + videos my system, install kit myself, literally EVERYTHING 100% my way - NO PARTNERS. If I can't ensure this , i will just continue using the prototype unit I have in my car and be happy with it tbh. It still does everything I want and need and still looks oem enough.
Graufuchs (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 03:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
Sounds like you have an SPP / ASK amplifier ;-)
It needs 12v to start. One wire needs to be repinned or spliced, from memory it's blue and is in pin 5 of the connector and needs to go to pin 2 (antenna 12v). Before splicing anything, check behind the warning triangle in your frunk if there's an amp.
ty! - i certainly dont have the expertise for this.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

how did it all go?

Originally Posted by T0m
they haven't refunded anything mate... just a measly 90 dollars because aliexpress forced their hands,

the HU from owtosin i got only came with 1 fakra adapter... & they never suggested to ship the missing hardware i paid for.

i basically got left with a 800 $ paperweight... this whole thing has been ridiculous & dissapointing
Old 06-29-2023, 07:38 AM
arva
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Francky
Hi all !
2 issues left :
thanks for your help

Hi!

Did you ordered rhe variant with MOST Optical Fiber Power adapter? I have 997.1 with ASK amp (no Bose) and it's a bit confusing if i need the adapter on not.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:53 AM
arva
6th Gear

Hi!

I'm so lost choosing the right unit. What's the difference between Owtosin and Herego-s units?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...838%21im%21%21

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...558%21im%21%21

I have 997.1 with ASK amp and looking mainly Apple Carplay and Radio functionality. Minimum delay would be also nice.

As i see from the spec, there are different CPU-s used. From this forum Owtosin is the preferred choice, however Heregos seems a bit cheaper.

@myw, could you help me to choose?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!