Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 09:41 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

The PCCM+ to the Owtosin is like the Acura ILX vs the Honda Accord. The ILX was always the previous generation Accord with lipstick on. For a premium charge no less! Only enthusiasts quietly knew the difference.
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:02 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by CWNE
Follow-up to my last post on the latest Otowsin Android unit from Michael Wong. Perhaps its a compliment to the design, but this is NOT the PCCM+. Want to make that clear.
Got the unit installed and wired up. My impressions so far below ...
Install:
-Connections were a breeze and other than 3 splices (as instructed) it was plug and play.
-Fitment is good, not perfect. I followed Michaels suggestion from the Rennlist post about using a bit of double sided tape and foam to snug the unit up both right to left and top to bottom. Essentially it has too much play in the dash so you need to eliminate that.
-I also removed the stainless guide brackets on the side of the unit (2 screws each - super easy) and replaced them with the larger ones included with the head unit. When I put the larger ones on I moved the guide to the position towards the screen of the head unit as this gives better support.
-Color on the trim match is like 97% correct. Not perfect, but quite close.
-If you look very close, the set screw that holds the unit in on the right side of the unit is pushing it EVER so slightly to the left. I may trying to tweak this, depends on how bad my OCD gets.
Experience using it thus far:
-Sound is quite good. Far better than stock. Very happy there.
-OS is snappy and 100% stock android. VERY customizable but the flip side is that it will take you some time to get it just the way you want it. Not everyone likes that. I do!
-Android Auto hooks up like it should, no issues connecting or auto connecting
-The LED lights on the physical buttons are customizable and I haven't taken the time to match them perfect. So don't hate. I know it's not perfect.
-One pic is of Android Auto running, the other is NOVA launcher which I've installed as the default. I will set a cool OEM looking wallpaper when time allows.
Good buy or bad buy?
So far, so good! I'm digging the aesthetic and it really does look fantastic in the dash.
Any questions please don't hesitate - I will continue to experiment!
Big thanks to Michael Wong for being extremely responsive to my dumb noob questions

Looks Great, mine hopefully arrives in 2 days according to tracking.
myw (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:28 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
The PCCM+ to the Owtosin is like the Acura ILX vs the Honda Accord. The ILX was always the previous generation Accord with lipstick on. For a premium charge no less! Only enthusiasts quietly knew the difference.
🤣 that made my day lmaooo!!!!!

TY
Old 02-27-2023, 07:44 PM
RBCar
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
Having a backup camera on this car is huge imho. It’s like going from an iPhone14 to a starTac ….. Can’t go back - same goes with having a front parking camera as well.

the fader is one of those things that’s set once …. And never again. Not a huge deal imho.

Having rear AND front cameras in something I’ve been set on when I got around to upgrading my PCM. The lack of wireless CarPlay isn’t a deal breaker for me with the new pccm+ but I LOATH the USB-A port sticking awkwardly out of the face of it. It’s just such a terrible shortcoming on design. Then when I found out about the camera limitations I was really let down about the new unit.

Thats how I found this thread. I’ve requested to join the Facebook groups (waiting on approval) so I can see some of these videos that have been mentioned are posted there showing this setup. I’m looking forward to making a decision and going this route.

Question you guys…. How the heck do I find a shop that is competent in doing an install like this? It seems like all of you are doing self-installs and that just isn’t an option for me. I’m feeling a bit pessimistic that I’ll find someone willing to read through the instructions of this install and do a professional job and treat my car with a 5star touch. I haven’t been around audio/video upgrade shops since I was a kid. Any advice for me? I’m in central FL area BTW.

Appreciate your posts! I’ve been enjoying reading through your experiences.
myw (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

you'll have to go thru my posts and save them - but wrote a few posts here specifically as install manuals.

I went thru this entire thread and saved the relevant posts when I did my install.

Originally Posted by RBCar
Having rear AND front cameras in something I’ve been set on when I got around to upgrading my PCM. The lack of wireless CarPlay isn’t a deal breaker for me with the new pccm+ but I LOATH the USB-A port sticking awkwardly out of the face of it. It’s just such a terrible shortcoming on design. Then when I found out about the camera limitations I was really let down about the new unit.

Thats how I found this thread. I’ve requested to join the Facebook groups (waiting on approval) so I can see some of these videos that have been mentioned are posted there showing this setup. I’m looking forward to making a decision and going this route.

Question you guys…. How the heck do I find a shop that is competent in doing an install like this? It seems like all of you are doing self-installs and that just isn’t an option for me. I’m feeling a bit pessimistic that I’ll find someone willing to read through the instructions of this install and do a professional job and treat my car with a 5star touch. I haven’t been around audio/video upgrade shops since I was a kid. Any advice for me? I’m in central FL area BTW.

Appreciate your posts! I’ve been enjoying reading through your experiences.

Last edited by myw; 02-27-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:47 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CWNE
One question - with the MOST adapter having two inputs do we lose the front to rear signals? Meaning you pick front L/R or rear L/R but you can't have both?
fronts only - can’t have both

Make sure the fader is set using the oem
pcm to the middle (or what your preference is).

You still will get sound from the rear.

I am working on a 4 channel most adapter which will be out with the redesign of this android unit.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:53 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you saying Owtosin is replacing the current unit with a new design? What are the new features and when will it be out? Thanks

Last edited by PapaC4S; 02-28-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Are you saying Owtosin is replacing the current unit with a new design? What are the new features and when will it be out? Thanks
yes. itll take up to a year if i decide to do this. i'll be waiting for the new 2023 top of the line cpu - the slew of annual technical upgrades as always (oled screen, canbus fixes, 4 channel most-trying but cant guarantee, some android OS 13/14 requests etc). It will be under a different brand (mine).

itll look more balanced and blend better with oem (pretty much my original design) - the current design got modified without my consent + I ended up spending lots of time to get it to where it is - I'm still happy with it but since releasing it I have substantial inquires for both 9x6 + 95x. Those designs are pretty much finalized, and it will share the same design language + branding as my new 9x7 unit (also being finalized). As the tech changes, the faceplate shouldnt too often. As these are android devices (basically tablets) - there will ALWAYS be a new unit 18 months to accomodate new motherboard + cpu, as some. new android accessories will likely need newer hardware to run properly/smoothly.

I also didnt know that my facePlate would end on the lower cost public/wholesale units - these are of the stereotypical china quality for Chinese android Radios (subpar low-power amp chips 40x4 which is why android radios get the rep of being not loud enough, leftOver cpus (integrated cpu/motherboard chips) which heat up quicker, cheaper (and uglier) heatSink, no SD card circuity installed (blank at the back of the faceplate), different manuFacturing standards (none really), high failure rates as you always see comments online etc etc. But from what I've had to learn - its the way the business works at times without getting into details.

I was expecting my design to be on owTowsins high end (private) line of products ONLY as it's the only experience I have personally had with chinese android units (i purchased + promoted the most expensive + technically advanced unit I could find here on this thread in 2020, and then spent time to fix everyones issues as support was poor and I figured everything out with mainly 2 other guys).

My own units will come with things like a real installation manual etc, (as I have already everything covered + written from literally doing all the support to help others), and with that PROPER non china technical support. I dont think much will be needed however with my manual. I have other options I'm still figuring out how to get done, such as a diff harness that will not require ANY splicing to setup (even with a mostHur adapter), and diff wiring kits for certain components that will yeild to less wire splicing overall + yield better performance. I have a few other ideas. The units will have to take a reasonable price increase from all this added work, but wont be anywhere near the pccm+ range (which is also a Chinese android product + project).

Nevertheless, I want to make clear it's all subtle changes moving forward - as my current design + unit is IMHO the best looking android unit on the market for 9x7s as is (as was meant to be when I first designed it april last year) - it functions well, looks clean, and gets mistaken for oem (even with a pretty trained eye unlike the previous android designs i reseached, ie dynavin and so on) ... and its very flexble (gotta love access to reverse + front cams at the click of a button on the steering wheel, or having tmps for a 2005 like mine).

Having run thru a few OwTowsin units from their private line of high end products - they are all very reliable since they use the best components available and have standardized manufacturing processes. Of course we have to buy the right units from the correct vendor, regardless of what hte faceplate looks like.

Last edited by myw; 02-28-2023 at 02:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
Bavarian 997 (03-05-2023), eclou (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

MIchael I want to extend my compliments on your work. Its not often I am impressed with other peoples' endeavors but your creation even in its current state is amazing. I have driven my 997tt only 35k miles since buying it new in Oct 2006. Since installing this unit I am no longer antsy for the arrival of my 992TTS in March, and I have gone through 3 gas tanks of fuel in the past week just falling in love with the car again solely due from the headunit upgrade. It makes the vehicle youthful again and without any missing creature comforts. Cheers
myw (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

MIchael I want to extend my compliments on your work. Its not often I am impressed with other peoples' endeavors but your creation even in its current state is amazing. I have driven my 997tt only 35k miles since buying it new in Oct 2006. Since installing this unit I am no longer antsy for the arrival of my 992TTS in March, and I have gone through 3 gas tanks of fuel in the past week just falling in love with the car again solely due from the headunit upgrade. It makes the vehicle youthful again and without any missing creature comforts. Cheers
Thank you sir, it is definitely a HUGE upgrade, I used a tranzitBluHF in the 911 for 6 years before I jumped on the android bandWagon - both me and my brother a few years back were just blown away at the massive screen powering carplay (b4 I had cameras hooked up, or even realized I could run netflix, vlc viewer ... all the real fun).

Last edited by myw; 02-28-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by leloupgris
Thanks I will do. Last question I hope: Qualcomm or Rockchip processor?
QCM - im not sure if the rockChip is still available.... but QCM is late 2022.

Originally Posted by PajamaShark
The 4G wireless connection isn't working because the unit can't detect my SIM card via the included dongle. It's a Google Fi data SIM (which is effectively T-Moblie). I can tap the option in the settings menu and it just says "No SIM card detected, insert one and reboot". I inspected the dongle with a volt meter and verified that all the wires at the plug can make a circuit to the contacts in the card slot. Has anyone been able to get this to work? Perhaps a special option in the factory menu needs to be turned on? I'm also wondering if maybe the pins are in the wrong spot... there isn't a full pinout diagram of the SIM port on the back, and there are way more pins on the unit than wires in the connector. I don't suppose anyone who has this working has a close up picture of the SIM dongle plug?
Did you check the special menu? I know the harness is the 16 pin that used to be used for 2 extra usb inputs. I'm not sure if the pins have been reAssigned but it shouldnt have.

I am going to attempt installation today. Have a 997.1 turbo with Bose in North America. Question: Do I need to purchase a dual Fakra antenna adapter or just not connect the diversity antenna (yellow?)
get the dual fakra adapter - it will sound better as thats how the system was designed.

Actually they are both Android. The Porsche PCCM+ is an older Android hardware unit with older Android 6 operating system is what I have gathered. The Owtosin unit is one of the most contemporary Android hardware unit with the latest Android 12 operating system. Its no brainer to me to spend 1/4 the money to get the Owtosin vs paying 4x to get the "Porsche" unit. The Porsche PCCM+ also blocks most of the Android functions. Both units are essentially Android tablets but you can use the tablet functions of the Owtosin but they are blocked on the PCCM+
It's funny as CWNE let me know that there are people who refuse to believe that the PCCM+ is an chinese android project and refuse to believe it's anything but *oem* + *german*. There are many videos online for 996 + 997 pccm+ where ppl hack right into the root android menu. My contacts know the chinese company that did portions of the project....not to mention it says everywhere that it's all made in china.

​​​​
Interestingly enough the sound quality is far better than the Becker headunit. I'm guessing the DSP in the Owtosin is much better, bc the soundstage is very much expanded and that's even before tweaking the amp equalizer. Very pleased so far and aim to tackle the F&R cameras tomorrow
The DSP upgrade the QCM units is an actual chip upgrade. the public/wholesale units and lower end units its just software. There is a difference.

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Just ordered the OwTowsin C4 unit in the quest of wireless Carplay.

Not looking to add any cameras just the ability to connect the phone for Nav and Music. For $300 shipped, pretty good value especially after seeing that the PCCM unit uses an android system and similar hardware..
Did you get the 2g/32G PX5? - PX5 is an old 2019 cpu (albeit it was top of the line at the time).

Last edited by myw; 02-28-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:12 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
Thank you sir, it is definitely a HUGE upgrade, I used a tranzitBluHF in the 911 for 6 years before I jumped on the android bandWagon - both me and my brother a few years back were just blown away at the massive screen powering carplay (b4 I had cameras hooked up, or even realized I could run netflix, vlc viewer ... all the real fun).
I started with a Parrot Bluetooth unit, then a Mobridge or Dension (don't remember) then to a Mr 12v. All of them had a bit of alternator whine and had complicated interfaces. They "cheapened" the feel of the car. This unit is the opposite - it brings it to 2023 and beyond with a seamless integration!
The following 2 users liked this post by eclou:
Graufuchs (02-28-2023), myw (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Looks like the unit designed by MYW is now available.

MYW They said it would provide 4V RCA outputs. Can you confirm this?

Thanks
I actually discussed this in a previous post. This wont be happening unless we get a minimum order of 50+ units for this... plus $ on top. I tried

Last edited by myw; 02-28-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:01 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

They claim their unit has 4v RCA and are supposed to send a proof video. Still waiting.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:05 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

I have a Helix DSP and 3.Mosconi amps connected to my OEM PCM and want a clean 4v RCA input like I have with the PCM

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!