Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 12:03 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just received mine today! It is Option 15 with SD 665. I will attempt the head unit install on the weekend. What tools are required for the DIY job?
Also got a wireless backup camera transmitter, but will leave that for another time.

Last edited by YarraMates; 04-04-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:14 PM
DocNik
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Torx 20 + 27 and a 7 mm wrench for the set screw, if I remember correctly. A good light. Some cloth to protect the gear shifter.
May I suggest a cold beer, during a short break?
Old 04-05-2023, 12:11 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Cool

Originally Posted by DocNik
May I suggest a cold beer, during a short break?
Suggest? You may insist on it.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:09 PM
adamj.png
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine yesterday actually.
t20 Torx, t30 Torx, 5mm Allen wrench.

5mm locking nuts on the side of the unit can be a pain if they're seized. had to take a solid break and put a rubber band around the allen wrench to keep grip on it to free the two on the driver side. After the stock unit is out, everything else is quite easy.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-05-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 12:10 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

@myw are your units from Owtosin Official supposed to come with an installation manual? Mine didn't. Wondering if there is a PDF version?
Old 04-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
the oem pccm+ android apk is available for download?
I don't think it is, couldn't find it yet at least...
Hence why I'm looking for someone with a pccm+ to extract it.
Would really finish off the whole OEM feel, dotting the last "I" so to speak
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 02:16 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Just installed. Surprisingly easy. It turns out my car didn't have MOST. So I buying optical adapter was a waste. Unless MOST is located is somewhere else in the car?
I am having issue with volume being way too loud. Prior to install I set the volume on OEM unit to 0. I also went into car settings on the Owtosin unit and set all values under VOICE tab to 0. That made no difference.

Is this the right menu?

Old 04-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Originally Posted by YarraMates
Just installed. Surprisingly easy. It turns out my car didn't have MOST. So I buying optical adapter was a waste. Unless MOST is located is somewhere else in the car?
I am having issue with volume being way too loud. Prior to install I set the volume on OEM unit to 0. I also went into car settings on the Owtosin unit and set all values under VOICE tab to 0. That made no difference.

Is this the right menu?
Clicking Apply in that menu doesn't do anything, but when clicking exit it prompts for a reboot which actually applies the settings (for me, had the same, volume too high on lowest control)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:17 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
Clicking Apply in that menu doesn't do anything, but when clicking exit it prompts for a reboot which actually applies the settings (for me, had the same, volume too high on lowest control)
Yes, I rebooted and the settings saved; all values are showing 0, but the radio volume didn't change at all.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:51 PM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Yes, I rebooted and the settings saved; all values are showing 0, but the radio volume didn't change at all.
You can also decrease the amp by x db in the last tab iirc
Old 04-07-2023, 06:13 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
You can also decrease the amp by x db in the last tab iirc
​​​​​
​​​Hmm, I don't see it. Just frequency slides.
​​​​I'm a bit puzzled why changing the values on the Voice factory settings is not making any difference?
Old 04-08-2023, 12:27 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

My 987.2 has option 490- "Sound Package Plus".
OwTosin rep told me that I need to order MOST adapter with this option.
But the harness going into my OEM unit doesn't have any optical cables. There is nowhere for me to plug in the MOST box.
There is an amplifier under passenger seat.
I'm getting sound from the new HU but it is way too loud and there is background noise.... obviously as the signal is amplified twice now.
So how should I be wiring this unit?

Last edited by YarraMates; 04-08-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:06 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

@myw are your units from Owtosin Official supposed to come with an installation manual? Mine didn't. Wondering if there is a PDF version?
no there isnt, but there is a post i had written roughly aug 2021 here on this thread which is pretty exact re instructions. I also have written one on the 997 retrofit threads. I have tagged members on there so they can follow step byStep.

My 987.2 has option 490- "Sound Package Plus".
OwTosin rep told me that I need to order MOST adapter with this option.
But the harness going into my OEM unit doesn't have any optical cables. There is nowhere for me to plug in the MOST box.
There is an amplifier under passenger seat.
I'm getting sound from the new HU but it is way too loud and there is background noise.... obviously as the signal is amplified twice now.
So how should I be wiring this unit?
I dont believe you need MOST box, and there is no double AMPflication , in post #802 of yours... since you have a photo of the original settings (in case you have to go back) - i would turn TV DVD IPOD SYS AVin RADIO BT to "0". There should be a change in levels. EDIT - i understand now what you mean via doubleAmplification (4 channel out from owTowsin quadlock comes from the owTowsin amp, and then another SPP amp). Someone correct me if my understanding isnt right.

I believe SYS is the general system volume. But RADIO, BLUEtooth are specific to the builtIn android apps. In all cases it is adjusting the internal gain for different apps.

Your car doesnt have MOST, there is literally nothing to splice or wire (no need for mostBox) - you just plug in the single quadLock harness.

Last edited by myw; 04-08-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:36 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw
I dont believe you need MOST box, and there is no double AMPflication , in post #802 of yours... since you have a photo of the original settings (in case you have to go back) - i would turn TV DVD IPOD SYS AVin RADIO BT to "0". There should be a change in levels.

I believe SYS is the general system volume. But RADIO, BLUEtooth are specific to the builtIn android apps. In all cases it is adjusting the internal gain for different apps.

Your car doesnt have MOST, there is literally nothing to splice or wire (no need for mostBox) - you just plug in the single quadLock harness.
@myw Really appreciate your help here. Changing the gain values in the VOICE tab had no affect whatsoever. I set everything to 0, reset the unit, confirmed that settings saved but the volume issue still persists.
Prior to install I set the volume on CDR30 to 0, default fade, loudness OFF.
If it helps,
Old 04-08-2023, 06:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

@myw Really appreciate your help here. Changing the gain values in the VOICE tab had no affect whatsoever. I set everything to 0, reset the unit, confirmed that settings saved but the volume issue still persists.
Prior to install I set the volume on CDR30 to 0, default fade, loudness OFF.
If it helps, here is a video
I can totally see your issue - ive never come across this before and I will do what I can to see if there is a workAround of sorts.

pm'd.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!