Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 01:08 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by RLR997
What isn't working with the DAB? Mine is OK, but reception is poor when moving. I am trying to figure out how to connect via the existing antenna rather than the windscreen one.

@myw For the Fakra to DIN connection I see you recommended the dual connector? Why is that if the GPS has its own seperate antenna? Additionally how did you wire the blue cable? Were does it go as I am confused also about powering some whiote wire to the a switched fuse to enable the antenna amplifier?
first off - what car do you drive? .1 / .2 auto / manual?
Old 03-21-2023, 02:04 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a bit confused by several versions floating around AliExpress.
Are these all essentially the same units from different sellers or are they actually different manufacturers?
Heregoes Store
Owtosin Official
Owtosin Factory Outlet
Owtosin Multimedia Store

I'm guessing by the difference in price that some are either overpriced or made with worse components.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SIM9er
Managed to sort the volume problem. When I went back in, Factory Settings was enabled, used password 126 and dropped the levels under the Voice Tab, they were set very high. Just need to sort the hiss through the speakers and the DAB not working.
just doing mine atm. Thanks for the heads-up re the volume-scared the cat when I first turned it on 😀.
where did you install the DAB aerial?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:35 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
first off - what car do you drive? .1 / .2 auto / manual?
​​​​​​​997.1 Turbo Tiptronic/Auto
Old 03-21-2023, 05:04 AM
SIM9er
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What isn't working with the DAB? Mine is OK, but reception is poor when moving. I am trying to figure out how to connect via the existing antenna rather than the windscreen one.

@myw For the Fakra to DIN connection I see you recommended the dual connector? Why is that if the GPS has its own seperate antenna? Additionally how did you wire the blue cable? Were does it go as I am confused also about powering some whiote wire to the a switched fuse to enable the antenna amplifier?
Not finding the receiver. I installed a second app and that gave the message. I have ordered a different box and will try that at the weekend.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:06 AM
SIM9er
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Jabamusic
just doing mine atm. Thanks for the heads-up re the volume-scared the cat when I first turned it on 😀.
where did you install the DAB aerial?
I installed the aerial on the windscreen, right hand drive car, so on the left. Will try a new box and see if that solves it.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:24 PM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

@SIM9er Sorry for potentially stating the obvious but I found the "fast charge" USB didn't recognise devices, have you tried another USB port? The aerial placement you describe is the same as my RHD too.

Last edited by RLR997; 03-21-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:54 PM
Einsteiny
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
There will be another version, sold outside of aliExpress (the faceplate wont be available on the cheap units) that will sell for slightly more - it will have the 2024 cpu's and further android hardware / software changes.

But will have a faceplate + dials (fully light up) - that will have an even better color match + a design that will look practically oem. Alongside install manual/video + mounting hardware to ensure perfect fitment. It will be approx a year before this happens.
Looking forward to this!!! Continue the great work myw.

To look practically OEM it will need a pointless 'dummy' USB in the faceplate though
Old 03-21-2023, 11:53 PM
voidopolis
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I see a lot of discussion around 977.1s and a somementions of 997.2 - is there a version for someone with a 997.2 C2S PDK +BOSE w/o steering wheel controls (sport design steering wheel).
The following users liked this post:
trassalpl (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 08:46 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by voidopolis
I see a lot of discussion around 977.1s and a somementions of 997.2 - is there a version for someone with a 997.2 C2S PDK +BOSE w/o steering wheel controls (sport design steering wheel).
you should be ok just make sure you get the MOST optical adapter and the CANBUS adapter
Old 03-22-2023, 09:48 AM
SIM9er
7th Gear

@SIM9er Sorry for potentially stating the obvious but I found the "fast charge" USB didn't recognise devices, have you tried another USB port? The aerial placement you describe is the same as my RHD too.
Thanks, I have it plugged in the non-charge USB. I ordered an Xtrons DAB receiver off EBay and just tried it, worked straightaway so it was the box at fault. Glad no need to change the aerial I already installed as that would have been a faff!
Old 03-22-2023, 11:00 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SIM9er
Thanks, I have it plugged in the non-charge USB. I ordered an Xtrons DAB receiver off EBay and just tried it, worked straightaway so it was the box at fault. Glad no need to change the aerial I already installed as that would have been a faff!
I was going to suggest looking for and downloading a different apk for the DAB+ receiver before buying another one.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:01 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by voidopolis
Its the same unit, just with a black faceplate - it will come with both .1 isoConnectors and .2 quadLock harness.

As many .1 owners have painted their center stack matte black this makes it as easy as it gets.

Also i have it designed so that there are no soldered connections to the faceplate. ie. the faceplate can come off for custom painting, leather wrapping etc.

Last edited by myw; 03-22-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:05 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Einsteiny
Looking forward to this!!! Continue the great work myw.

To look practically OEM it will need a pointless 'dummy' USB in the faceplate though
nowNow, lets not go there.

With that said the updated faceplate isnt a 100% sure thing. It's in the works but isnt my full time gig - but I certainly would love to do one more version of this product.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:14 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by YarraMates
I'm a bit confused by several versions floating around AliExpress.
Are these all essentially the same units from different sellers or are they actually different manufacturers?
Heregoes Store
Owtosin Official
Owtosin Factory Outlet
Owtosin Multimedia Store

I'm guessing by the difference in price that some are either overpriced or made with worse components.
Only the OwTowsin Official unit is the high quality unit. You can physically tell looking at the back of the unit.

The factoryOutlet + MultiMedia store versions should have been taken off line - and the Heregoes (and i believe there is another brand) that also sells the cheaper units , are also owned by owTowsin. Id prefer not to get into the specifics of it but its beyond my control re the cheap units using my faceplate.

Looking at the rear of the OwtowsinOfficial, it is similar to appearance to the previous high end owTowsin units from 2020, as well as other high end android units such as Xtrons (one of the more established brands)e... and this even includes the porsche pccm+.

Without getting into ALL the differences between the good quality vs the cheap units - you can tell which ones are the cheap units as the cheap units even use this cheap black/brown ugly heatsink. The higher quality units, in addition to the main mother board, cpu, external antennas, amp chip, radio chip, SD card components, even use a different, more expensive rear heatSink.

Last edited by myw; 03-22-2023 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sscottbutler (07-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!