Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 10:25 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
Do this with the FM Antenna disconnected and switch to radio reception. You will just hear the rustle which does not annoy the neighbours and gives you enough time to figure out a range between half and full.
Now there is one smart cookie! Excellent idea.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:25 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Learning points for this unit:

1. in the factory settings (CAR - FACTORY SETTINGS - PIN 126) you will find a ‘turn off’ function - refers to when the unit turns off after key removal. Mine was set to ‘automatic’ and was not turning the unit off. Boot time was instant but when I didn’t drive the car for a week the battery was almost dead. So mine now says ‘30 seconds’ and I get a proper shut down. It means boot is maybe 10-15 seconds but I do get the nice Porsche logo.

2. You cannot have wireless CarPlay and Bluetooth to the unit at the same time. This means that phone calls go through your CarPlay usually, since the CarPlay software (ZLink) is auto start. Bluetooth via the head unit will only work if you don’t have CarPlay active.

3. CarPlay is quicker to link if you plug the phone in. ZLink takes a minute or so to work it all out.

4. I have tried a couple of other launchers which make it look more like a car stereo and less like an Android tablet. Haven’t found one I like yet but suggestions are welcome. They are very customisable and perhaps I need to spend more time customising mine.

5. Although I have any app I want, I do not get traffic through the head unit alone. It has maps etc so that’s ok but it does not (as far as I can see) have a means to communicate to the world except via the phone (personal hotspot or CarPlay). I don’t know whether you can get a SIM card adapter for it to allow OTA traffic updates. Again, all advice gratefully received.

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by rickpriceuk:
AitchUK (07-18-2020), irnnr (06-08-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:54 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find my wireless CarPlay will not auto connect, I just get the waiting screen. If I leave it for a few days and come back it will connect, but reconnecting is an issue.
Anyone have this issue? or know how I can force the head unit to restart?
Old 06-09-2020, 05:10 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

I read on another forum to turn off Hand Off in the iPhone. Seemed to work for me as I had the same problem but now it all connects automatically.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:27 PM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I gave this a try, but still run in to the same issue.
Wired works great, but Wireless only works once then wont reconnect until the HU is restarted.What other forms are people chatting about this device?
Old 06-12-2020, 03:58 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

If you google 'android head unit forum' you'll get a bunch. A lot of them are talking about updating the software but on here someone tried it and it bricked the BT so I'm not that keen. I would like the newer interface and look, but not if the BT dies.

Start here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

Beware, this is a forum for people who are into modifying software and ROMs. Some of it is way above my head. From what I gather, the MTU is the big thing. Its basically the BIOS that allows the software to talk to the hardware. You can find yours in settings but mine is MTCE (latest; MTCA, MTCB...). There are at least two types of this software and the MTC group is only one. I forget the name of the other but I doubt its interchangeable.

Check the dates on the threads, though - Android 9 has been around a while.

Rich
Old 06-13-2020, 11:40 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I have an Android HU in my Cayenne. Im actually on my second: I upgraded from the PX3 to PX6 chipset and more memory.

I really like the AGAMA Car Launcher - - can be configured to look very factory with big customizable buttons.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:53 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
I have an Android HU in my Cayenne. Im actually on my second: I upgraded from the PX3 to PX6 chipset and more memory.

I really like the AGAMA Car Launcher - - can be configured to look very factory with big customizable buttons.
I have tried several different launchers, including Agama. I ended up liking and using Car Launcher Pro by Apps Lab Studio.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I'll have to check that out
Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Finally got mine up and running - - 3 questions

My GPS won't connect. Granted I don't have the antenna mounted on the windshield, so maybe I'll move that, but I thought I read others who left the antenna in the dash and all was good. Thoughts?

​​​​​​Had an alternator whine when I 1st started the car but by time I got to work, the whine was gone. If it comes back, any suggestions on how to solve this?

Where are you getting all of your launchers from?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:49 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

My GPS is stuck under the dashboard. I had read somewhere that you are best having it flat so thats how it is, but in the trial phase I had it vertical - not so good but still got signal.

Have you checked the connection?

Cant comment on alternator whine but if it disappears I would assume that a connection is warming up and becoming better. The unit itself does generate heat, so might be your splicing?

At the moment I am using the stock launcher. I have downloaded a Porsche logo wallpaper and only have 4 apps on the front screen - DAB radio (HD radio in the US), ZLink (for which I have turned off automatic loading), a map application (Waze, soon to be NavMii because it has offline maps) and YouTube (for when I am waiting to pick up the kids). These are small enough icons that they do not particularly obscure the logo. All the other icons I have on secondary screens.

Rich
Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
My GPS is stuck under the dashboard. I had read somewhere that you are best having it flat so thats how it is, but in the trial phase I had it vertical - not so good but still got signal.

Have you checked the connection?

Cant comment on alternator whine but if it disappears I would assume that a connection is warming up and becoming better. The unit itself does generate heat, so might be your splicing?

At the moment I am using the stock launcher. I have downloaded a Porsche logo wallpaper and only have 4 apps on the front screen - DAB radio (HD radio in the US), ZLink (for which I have turned off automatic loading), a map application (Waze, soon to be NavMii because it has offline maps) and YouTube (for when I am waiting to pick up the kids). These are small enough icons that they do not particularly obscure the logo. All the other icons I have on secondary screens.

Rich
The connection is good. When I made the initial connection, radio still out and everything, I had the antenna on my lap and had the same issue. I was in the garage so I figured once I went outside, it would improve, but nada!

I'll recheck my connections if the noise is back on my ride home today.

Besides those things, everything seems pretty good! Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-15-2020, 11:10 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

pls keep this thread going!

i will get to the install for this specific owTowsin 2020 unit shortly - and will do my best to compile and organize all the information here + create a separate thread to make a definitive installation guide.

thank you everyone.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Finally got mine up and running - - 3 questions

My GPS won't connect. Granted I don't have the antenna mounted on the windshield, so maybe I'll move that, but I thought I read others who left the antenna in the dash and all was good. Thoughts?

​​​​​​Had an alternator whine when I 1st started the car but by time I got to work, the whine was gone. If it comes back, any suggestions on how to solve this?

Where are you getting all of your launchers from?

Thanks!
When experimenting with previous Android headunits I have had installed in different cars, I have found the best location is outside the car on the roof or on the A-pillar. The antenna is magnetic. However, the material the Jaguar is made of, won't allow mounting to the outside of the car using the magnetic properties of the antenna. So I have mine installed on the dash, close to the window. I am actually surprised you get any kind of decent signal with it installed under the dash.

The launchers can be found the same places as you can find all other Android apps. Primarily Google Play Store, but there are other unofficial sources where you can download the apk of the app you want. For car launchers, you should be able to find anything you need at the Play Store though.

Edited to say: I am participating in a discussion on the Jaguar forum about the Android unit I have installed in my Jag, as well as this one about the one installed in my Porsche. I just realized I posted in the Porsche forum about my Jaguar install. Same concept applies though. The closer you can get your antenna to outside without covering it up, the better.

Last edited by sgtm7; 06-17-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:17 AM
AndyJ
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I found this thread - there's some very useful info here.

I actually installed one of these Android units (an Xtrons PE88CMPIPL) in my 997.2 last August, to replace a PCM 3.0 (w. Bose). I mainly use it for CarPlay and overall I've been very pleased with it. Install was pretty easy - this particular unit can use the car's existing GPS & radio antennas.

Like a few others on here I have experienced alternator whine, but each time it's been just after fitting/re-fitting the unit and the noise seems to go away after a day or so. Very strange but a non-issue once you know it's a temporary thing.

My car doesn't have steering wheel controls so for volume control I went for a Chinese remote unit seemingly identical to the one linked to by @PV997 in #36. I mounted the 2 disks in a bit of plywood painted the same colour as my console and which replaces my ashtray. I temporarily secured it using blu-tack but 10 months later haven't felt the need to change this. Photo below:

This actually works very well for me - the volume buttons fall nicely to hand and it's easy to use without needing to look at it. The only thing I'd change in retrospect is that the second "disk" is pretty much useless as it's always easier to use the touchscreen for all these functions. Next time I'd only bother mounting the volume / next / previous control.

One question: has anyone with a 997.2 managed to get any CanBus data to or from their unit? The CanBus controls for lights and power are correctly decoded by my included CanBus adapter so these work fine. However I do not get radio station display in my instrument cluster or temperature display in the HU status bar (which I assume comes from CanBus?) so I'm assuming that my unit is not properly decoding CanBus. I have Porsche (Bagoo) selected as my CanBus adapter in factory settings but I see no CanBus data using "logcan".

This isn't a big deal for me but it niggles that they don't work when they apparently work fine on other cars.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
The following 2 users liked this post by AndyJ:
irnnr (06-16-2020), Pedro Lopes (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!