Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 05:51 AM
Cayman987.2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update on first usage:

pro’s:
what a great screen! I was using waze with apple car play and my car just looks brand new.

carplay works amazing even with reading your whatsapp messages with Siri.

gps was good and I just put the mouse temporary behind the unit. I don’t know if in carplay it uses my phone GPS?

I didn’t install the microphone yet. But I had a good call I guess there is one microphone in the unit and it’s working good. (Only had one call). I am going to install the microphone behind the wheel next week. Any suggestion where the best spot is?

con’s:
software
when I want to start my road trip and switched on the engine. The unit did a factory reset and now I am missing all kinds of apps who came with it.
I didn’t really play with it yet so I was surpirsed. Carplay didn’t work in the beginning but after my re fuel stop it start working.

maybe it was because I had to change out some fuses.

How are the experiences with HAL9K or malasyk ROM?

Sound
The sound is in misbalanced. The bass is very high and the other’s are not. So you have to put the music loud and it doesn’t sound good.

I might put the old unit back and make sure everything is at zero. I only put the volume at 75% didn’t check the rest.

multifunctional steer
You really need external buttons to adjust the volume. The button in the software is two clicks away and is very small. I ordered the external buttons from the Chinese seller but they didn’t deliver it. They send it later.

I might swap my steeringwheel. But the interior colour is not common so I might need to wait for it.

Thanks for the TPMS tip I need too change my rear tires and I have the internal version.

for the rest I didn’t had time to play with it.
Do I need to install an app for the OBD2 reader?

The following users liked this post:
myw (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:23 AM
FLG
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
I would be concerned buying this unit for NON-BOSE cars. For BOSE PCM3 cars, the MOST adapter sends a clean audio signal via a fiber optic cable to the BOSE amplifier. For NON-BOSE cars, the speaker wires from the headunit with send amplified analog audio signal to your ASK amplifier. These speaker wire connections in the PCM 3 will normally only send low 4V analog audio to the ASK amplifier so this higher voltage audio signal from the android may overdrive the ASK amplifier with distortion. The amplified output from the speaker wires on the android unit already have clipping and distortion straight out of the box so hooking it up to an ASK amplifier with the speaker wire output is probably a bad idea.

If you choose to use the RCA output cables from the .android unit, they only have 1V output which is very low and not a quality signal.

I am not sure about PCM 2.1 cars but would expect similar concerns.

Bottom line is these units are probably fine for BOSE cars that use the MOST connection but will have marginal sound for non-BOSE cars.
I've been following this thread since the beginning and I was going to purchase this Android HU this weekend... then I read this comment which looks really interesting and useful... I have a 997.2 NON-BOSE and I'm now concerned, it may not make sense to "upgrade" to this HU.
I do not have the USB/AUX ports in my car and I'm getting annoyed by the fact that I cannot share my music from my iphone + I'd love to use CarPlay for navigation purposes, instead of the old cartography that my PCM 3 offers.

Any thoughts? Anyone who has already installed Android head units on NON-BOSE systems who is getting audio/volume issues?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You can buy CarPlay WiFi units as stand-alone items but they do need to plug into a USB port. I have no experience of these but if they can work with a PCM 3 then I wouldn’t bother changing the HU. CarPlay alone would do me, to be honest.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:45 PM
FLG
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
You can buy CarPlay WiFi units as stand-alone items but they do need to plug into a USB port. I have no experience of these but if they can work with a PCM 3 then I wouldn’t bother changing the HU. CarPlay alone would do me, to be honest.
For what I've been reading around, the first PCM which can work with CarPlay apparently is the PCM 3.1 - PCM 3 does not have that capability. I may be wrong here though.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:28 PM
FLG
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DzoniS
I've found this tutorial Carplay for Old Porsche . See if that can help you with your carplay issues, good luck!
Thanks! I saw that option which is for what Porsche is currently considering as "Classic" - that HU works for the old Porsche models, up to the 996.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

u dont have to swap the entire wheel - just swap the face plate to the Multifunction plate - and then code the steering module to turn on MULTIFUNCTION WHEEL. use the foxwell530 (150 usd)

ps. nice car - gorgeous leather interior.

Originally Posted by Cayman987.2
multifunctional steer
You really need external buttons to adjust the volume. The button in the software is two clicks away and is very small. I ordered the external buttons from the Chinese seller but they didn’t deliver it. They send it later.

I might swap my steeringwheel. But the interior colour is not common so I might need to wait for it.

Thanks for the TPMS tip I need too change my rear tires and I have the internal version.

for the rest I didn’t had time to play with it.
Do I need to install an app for the OBD2 reader?

Old 05-30-2020, 02:59 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How are the experiences with HAL9K or malasyk ROM?
gps was good and I just put the mouse temporary behind the unit. I don’t know if in carplay it uses my phone GPS??
HAL9K and malasyk broke the built in Car-Play (zlink) in my unit. Also all of a sudden the OBD BT dongle was no longer able to access the ECU. I can connect the the dongle but it seems the apps (e.g. torque pro) cannot read from the dongle.
I am assuming that BT handling is somewhat different in the modded ROMs as opposed to the Stock Rom.

Carplay uses the iPhone's GPS.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Michael Massetti
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help Richard,

It looks like my MOST adapter is bad. I used a multi-meter to verify continuity through the connectors and all three were good.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:29 PM
Cayman987.2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
HAL9K and malasyk broke the built in Car-Play (zlink) in my unit. Also all of a sudden the OBD BT dongle was no longer able to access the ECU. I can connect the the dongle but it seems the apps (e.g. torque pro) cannot read from the dongle.
I am assuming that BT handling is somewhat different in the modded ROMs as opposed to the Stock Rom.

Carplay uses the iPhone's GPS.
do you have bluetooth 5.0?
Old 05-31-2020, 01:13 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

do you have bluetooth 5.0?
yes
Old 06-02-2020, 05:54 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine installed, so easy even with the MOST module.
Mine came with some sort of metal clip with screws, but I couldn’t work out where that goes.
I also dont think it sits in very securely, how have others secured it with their series 2? I saw someone suggested putting a screw through the existing hole.

The sound quality is surprisingly good, CarPlay is great , but Iwill need volume controller
Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I ordered mine last week - - I've seen people saying the volume needs to be turned up before removing the oem unit. I've seen some say 50% some 75%...is there a definitive amount? Why not just crank it 100%? Also, could someone give me the reasoning for having to do this in the first place? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2020, 04:18 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The way to think of it is that the installed HU will essentially output a ‘volume’, as a number. This will be interpreted as a percentage by the amp.

If the amp thinks 100% is, say, 10dB then max vol will be 10dB. If the amp thinks 100% is 100dB then you have a far greater range to play with. So by setting the amp, you essentially set the maximum loudness you can get out of it.

If you turn the amp to 100% you are likely to get distortion within the amp electronics regardless of the HU output.

In reality it is difficult to know what is 75% unless you are a long way from civilisation and want your ears to bleed in the process. Or you are a serious heavy metal fan.

I turned mine up louder than I thought it could go and then yanked the key. I have no idea whether this was 50% or 100% but it was bloody loud - louder than I will want to play my music. I have no distortion or feedback.

Richard

Last edited by rickpriceuk; 06-02-2020 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (07-11-2021)
Old 06-03-2020, 01:03 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Do this with the FM Antenna disconnected and switch to radio reception. You will just hear the rustle which does not annoy the neighbours and gives you enough time to figure out a range between half and full.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 AM
FLG
6th Gear

Just checking if there is anyone here who has already installed Android head units on NON-BOSE systems who is getting audio/volume issues?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!