Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 PM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

IT WORKS! PV997, you are a genius with the blue wires. that's one thing i didn't account for.

Remarks:
-gps attenta was just stuffed to the back of radio, seems to pick up gps signal just fine for now, i havn't fully tested this
-cdr24 audio set to 30, bass set to 9, rest is stock/zero'd
-using built in mic for now (i believe mic is located in the ends of the white lines of the android head unit).

thinking of 3M media ctrl buttons where my middle finger is; if i can't get steering wheel ctrls to work.

can you believe this is an 987.1??

3 wire taps used. i couldn't locate any posi-tap at my local area so .. this is what i resorted to.
The following 2 users liked this post by dLat:
Bubbabuzz (08-25-2020), myw (01-27-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:09 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Nice work! Please post how it goes with the steering wheel control after you've had a chance to play with it. There are menus in the HU for configuring steering wheel controls but I think they may be for programming the media buttons (that's what i used them for). If the can bus is working right it may be able to read the steering wheel controls out of the box.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:35 PM
ThreeSixNine
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Amazing post! I was actually just looking at doing something simlar in my 997. However I had been looking at the 10inch and 13inch floating Android headunits. See below for an 13inch version, which I think might be too big. However 10inch could be nice if it doesn't go over any buttons or vents.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 PM
dLat
Intermediate

I think 10" would go over the HVAC buttons, unless the size scales towards the roof, and there is no size increase in the direction twds the HVAC buttons
Old 12-13-2019, 07:00 PM
dLat
Intermediate

xmas is coming up and i dont think i can afford the $350 Multifunction adapter just yet. I also ended up buying a carplay usb wireless dongle, so that is being shipped from china as we speak.

another question for you @PV997, for the buttons u bought, where do all the wires go?

let me know if [1], [3], [5] are correct. still dont know where [2] and [4] go though :/

Old 12-13-2019, 08:42 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dLat
another question for you @PV997, for the buttons u bought, where do all the wires go?

let me know if [1], [3], [5] are correct. still dont know where [2] and [4] go though :/
Yep, 1, 3, and 5 are correct through the unit I bought only had hot and ground, not ACC if I recall correctly. For 2 and 4 your HU should have wires for them. On my HU they were a light brown and dark brown wire coming from the big connector on the bottom left side on the back of the HU. The wires were labeled key1 and key2. Once it's all hooked up there's a menu to program them in the Android setup screen.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:35 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just received this head unit from Ali Express and I'm planning out my splices and depinning (since I don't feel the need to stuff this many unused RCA connectors into the dash).

Questions for those who have already installed this unit:
1. Is there any difference in function between the 3 USB connectors? USB1 runs to a different set of pins on the back of the head unit, than USB2+USB3, which sort of implies that USB1 is different than the others.
2. There are two different places to connect a backup camera, one in the main power harness, and one in the harness that also has the mic jack. Does anyone know if one of these two backup camera connections is better to use than the other?
3. Before I route a mic to the steering column, is there a good alternative? Do the internal mics on the unit's face work well?
4. I bought the iPhone car play adapter - any experience with that component?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Due to the time lag between when I submitted that post and when it was approved by the moderator, I've since gone ahead with depinning lots of unused things (RCAs, TPMS connector that was also in the Apple adapter, etc). and completing my first pass installation.

What I found during the install:
  • Apple adapter has exposed contacts after it is fully mated. These should be isolated with tap, heat shrink, or "other".
  • Shared ground splices on the FRONT-L and FRONT-R line level RCAs were downright scary when I opened up that piece of heat shrink
  • Didn't get to experiment with any backup camera connections, so I left both available for now
  • USB 1/2/3 plumbing was not as clean as I hoped (i.e. USB 1 and 2 shared wiring in an unexpected way), so I went ahead and installed that cable with all 3 USBs still in place
What I found after the install (vehicle is a 2009 Turbo, so PCM 3.0):
  • PCM 3.0 doesn't show a volume level on the screen, so after centering the balance and fader, I cranked it up pretty loud and pulled the key
  • First power on of the Android HU with cheap MOST adapter reveals all kinds of low level noise when no audio is playing
  • Noise seems worse with iPhone playing music via USB, extra noises like blowing on a microphone
  • Internal mics did not even remotely compare with the audio quality of the external mic for making a phone call. Would not try to go without the external mic.
  • GPS for PCM 3.0 does route into the dash, not to the frunk like PCM2.x, and so it plugged right into the Android HU. However, I have not gotten Google maps to work yet, even when wifi tethered to my phone
  • Turning the headlights on (not the parking lights, had to go all the way to the headlights) introduced an additional whining noise, which should tell you what comes next...
  • Engine running produces a most impressive alternator whine
  • Included launcher/HMI is pretty bad, especially volume, but also how hard it is to exit from some apps back to the home screen. I can now understand why there were so many previous comments with interest in a set of external buttons.
I'm going to spend a little bit of effort trying to clean up the signals on the RCAs going into the MOST adapter before I decide whether to stick with this unit. It's easy to be torn on which way to go. Visually, the quality/match to the 997.2 dash is amazing. Documentation is virtually non-existent. To have a 100% plug and play unit after only four splices, all of which were made on the aftermarket harness (so no molestation of my car's factory wiring) is wonderful. If I can get it to the point that I don't cringe every time I start the car, I'll be happy. If not, I'll be a reseller.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-14-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:08 PM
dLat
Intermediate

great write up - where did you get your external mic from? where did you mount and route your wires?
Old 01-21-2020, 08:27 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dLat
great write up - where did you get your external mic from? where did you mount and route your wires?
Mic came with the head unit. Mounted on top of steering column (did a temp mounting by putting down a piece of kapton tape and sticking the mic carrier to the tape). Wire slips into dash right along side steering column. Routing from there to back of HU was easy. Finding good tie off points without pulling that panel under the steering wheel was the only challenge.

Received a PAC SNI-1 RCA noise isolator today, will try that next.

Other possibilities for me include
  • Temporarily swapping my PCM back in and turning the volume down, to see if I have the "gain" too high
  • Resplicing or replacing the RCAs
  • Looking for a way to get power to the MOST adapter sooner than to the amp (not convinced this matters, since if I unplug the fiber, and everything goes silent (duh) and then plug it back in, the line noise immediately comes back)
  • Listing the unit on eBay
myw (04-28-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm, kind of surprising as I didn't hear any whine at all and didn't use isolators. First thing I'd try is putting the PCM back in and turning it to about half way. When I first installed mine I had it set pretty low and the sound was terribly distorted. I set mine a bit higher than half way and it worked well but it was a PCM 2.1 not 3.0 and maybe it makes a difference. No easy access to the volume control was my biggest issue. Do you have a multi-function steering wheel and can you get it to work with the HU?
Old 01-22-2020, 02:25 AM
LFB
Rennlist Member

No, my 997 does not have a multifunction wheel (although I'm not opposed to doing a 997.2 wheel upgrade with GPS adapter if volume control ends up being the only issue I have left to solve).

Today's update:
  • Reinstalled the stock PCM, set a fairly normal parking lot engine off listening volume level, and then went back to the Android HU with MOST adapter
  • Didn't even play any music, as soon as I turned the key and the Android unit powered up, the noise level was apparent - no improvement
  • While still powered up, unplugged the RCAs from the MOST adapter - noise still present
    • Checked headlights on behavior - there's the whine
  • Added the PAC SNI-1 isolator - no improvement
    • Checked headlights on behavior - yep, still a nasty whine (actually sounds a bit like a Star Trek sound effect)
  • Twisted ground wires of the SNI-1 together and touched them to various points on the Android chassis - no improvement
So it's fairly clear my issue is the MOST adapter, not the output of the HU. I could still try alternative power and ground sources for the MOST adapter, but since I have it wired the same as others in this thread (tapped in to the rest of the HU harness), I'm probably going to see if I can get a replacement MOST unit.

...and then I can go back to the volume control issue.
myw (02-17-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:06 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFB
As much as I love the look and feel of a 991.2 wheel, I did realize last night that I may be able to get volume functionality for a fairly low cost by retrofitting and repinning a single Tiptronic up/down rocker switch to my existing wheel.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LFB
As much as I love the look and feel of a 991.2 wheel, I did realize last night that I may be able to get volume functionality for a fairly low cost by retrofitting and repinning a single Tiptronic up/down rocker switch to my existing wheel.
multi function wheels are relatively inexpensive on eBay and the forums, you could look for one of those and also gain the track change function. I use my factory multi function wheel with the NAVTV MOST HUR and Kenwood head unit.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:57 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LFB
So it's fairly clear my issue is the MOST adapter, not the output of the HU. I could still try alternative power and ground sources for the MOST adapter, but since I have it wired the same as others in this thread (tapped in to the rest of the HU harness), I'm probably going to see if I can get a replacement MOST unit.

I am curious as to how you came to this conclusion. You removed the RCAs from the MOST adapter and still had the noise. However, disconnecting the RCAs from the MOST doesn't take the Head unit out of the circuit, if you are getting power and/or ground from the head unit(or the same source as the head unit).

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!