Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Aa huge thanks richard! Let me know when you get the TMPS hooked up and ready
Old 05-19-2020, 06:20 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
Aa huge thanks richard! Let me know when you get the TMPS hooked up and ready
the TPMS is indeed installed (USB) and knows that I have no tyre pressure. What it doesn’t know is that the wheel sensors are not fitted and in a drawer in the garage. There does not seem to be an easy way to tell the control box about all this.

So every time I get in I get a series of messages telling me my tyre pressures are low and I have to ok them. So the control box is clearly working. My next job is to get the sensors themselves fitted and hopefully these annoying messages will stop.

Richard
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

good to know - as both me and you will be the rare few that will be using this option.

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
the TPMS is indeed installed (USB) and knows that I have no tyre pressure. What it doesn’t know is that the wheel sensors are not fitted and in a drawer in the garage. There does not seem to be an easy way to tell the control box about all this.

So every time I get in I get a series of messages telling me my tyre pressures are low and I have to ok them. So the control box is clearly working. My next job is to get the sensors themselves fitted and hopefully these annoying messages will stop.

Richard
Old 05-20-2020, 07:47 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info on this, I have placed an order for my .2
Question for those who have it installed, how do you adjust the volume? It appears to replace the physical volume ****, which I’m not thrilled about and I dont have steering wheel controls.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:25 AM
dynamoleddisplay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,thank for the review. It is very comprehensive and love how it's from experience. One amazing thing is the LED display,it is of high quality and has the same functionality as the LED TV .i really can't wait to order mine.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:05 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gavc
Question for those who have it installed, how do you adjust the volume? It appears to replace the physical volume ****, which I’m not thrilled about and I dont have steering wheel controls.
There is a touchscreen volume.

It works just the same as an Android phone. Swipe down from the top and you get a menu bar, etc.

No buttons or physical vol control.

There are units that do have buttons - Xtrons, I think, but they have a smaller screen - same system though.

Rich
Old 05-20-2020, 01:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

some ppl (i believe there was earlier case on the thread) - got aftermarket steering wheel control adapter.

I believe another guy on the FB retrofit modification thread that removed a volume **** off a multimedia keyboard and drilled it into his center console.

imo the cleanest way is to either get the MF trim plate for the 997.2 wheel OR do the 991.2 steering wheel upgrade - it can all work, add functionality and upgrade the interior at the same time.

Originally Posted by Gavc
Old 05-21-2020, 04:13 AM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the info and the people who have been the first to install this, It looks like a fantastic option! I have a 991 steering wheel/ airbag and am going with the GPS steering wheel adapter...I was just waiting to see about a head unit. Looks like this fits the bill perfectly. My only concern is that I'm not an Android phone user...iPhone here. I'm just worries about compatibility and where to get all the customized launchers, etc.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Its not rocket science, just a different operating system with a slightly different way of working.

Im an Apple user and I am slowly getting to grips with it. It does become more intuitive the more you use it, of course. I would not suggest that I am any kind of android expert. Personally I prefer the iPhone interface, probably because its what I'm used to. I think its slicker and more polished.

But until Apple makes Head Units, this is an excellent second best for me.

Richard
Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Thanks for all the info and the people who have been the first to install this, It looks like a fantastic option! I have a 991 steering wheel/ airbag and am going with the GPS steering wheel adapter...I was just waiting to see about a head unit. Looks like this fits the bill perfectly. My only concern is that I'm not an Android phone user...iPhone here. I'm just worries about compatibility and where to get all the customized launchers, etc.
get the owTowsin 2020 deck. wireless carplay.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:59 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

did you not get the wireless carplay option?

Its not rocket science, just a different operating system with a slightly different way of working.

Im an Apple user and I am slowly getting to grips with it. It does become more intuitive the more you use it, of course. I would not suggest that I am any kind of android expert. Personally I prefer the iPhone interface, probably because its what I'm used to. I think its slicker and more polished.

But until Apple makes Head Units, this is an excellent second best for me.

Richard
Old 05-22-2020, 03:03 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, I was asking about the volume control, because you don't normally have that in CarPlay. Looks like I'll probably have to shop for a Multi Function retrofit, but does the slide down volume work in CarPlay? or do you need to quit it first?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
did you not get the wireless carplay option?

Yes but the question was about volume control.

The CarPlay screen does not have a volume control. This is regardless of whether it is wired or not, or (I guess) the head unit - it’s the way CarPlay is presented. The buttons are all super-big but there is no intrinsic volume control.

I think it’s because CarPlay is an App. As a rule, Apps themselves do not control volume, screen brightness, etc. These are functions you would normally control through a units standard controls (buttons or a touch-screen slider on the iPhone, for example). As such the App does not have these controls built into it.

to get to the volume on my unit you slide the screen down and a menu appears at the top. then there is a fairly small button You tap and then the slider appears. So not great for driving.

I would definitely get some form of hard control; fit steering wheel controls or get one of the aftermarket units.

Richard
Old 05-22-2020, 10:49 AM
911's
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes but the question was about volume control.

The CarPlay screen does not have a volume control. This is regardless of whether it is wired or not, or (I guess) the head unit - it’s the way CarPlay is presented. The buttons are all super-big but there is no intrinsic volume control.

I think it’s because CarPlay is an App. As a rule, Apps themselves do not control volume, screen brightness, etc. These are functions you would normally control through a units standard controls (buttons or a touch-screen slider on the iPhone, for example). As such the App does not have these controls built into it.

to get to the volume on my unit you slide the screen down and a menu appears at the top. then there is a fairly small button You tap and then the slider appears. So not great for driving.

I would definitely get some form of hard control; fit steering wheel controls or get one of the aftermarket units.

Richard
i ordered this from Amazon to go with my HU (Rockford Fosgate PMX-BTUR Universal Bluetooth Steering Wheel Remote Controller), it's meant for smartphones but it should work if paired directly to our HU Android system.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

mine arrived - 2 weeks after shipping (not bad).

will provide my insights shortly.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!