Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not trying to freak you out yet, but heavy oil usage in these motors isn't usually a good thing, and it can be from other causes than being to "loose", like from scoring being present in the cylinders already and the oil sneaking past the rings using the scoring lines as the pathway. Could also just be loose as you say, but seems like these motors are built tighter than looser. If you have heavy oil consumption, it's time to do some further investigating with a boroscope and a UOA looking for different metals that might be present. By identifying the absence of a problem you can determine if you just have a looser tolerance motor.
+1
Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Petza is correct. If you are consuming oil and you are not at a quarter million miles you need to investigate further. A bore scope from the bottom is needed to see if you have a problem. I am coming up on 100k in my 997.2 and it drops one bar from full every 5000 miles. I never have needed to add oil. Please quantity about how much oil your engine uses.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 777 Posts

OK, I'm a but confused by these last posts ...

Previous posts regarding oil consumption have resulted in responses that state that Porsche specification allows 1 liter per 1,000 miles (or something like that).

I've kind of ignored this information since I've yet to burn a drop in my 86K miles of stewardship (per measured out = measured in).

Has something changed regarding concerns for consumption or have I misunderstood previous posts on this topic?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 943 Posts

Honestly, I suspect the issue is the change in consumption and not how much is used.
Peace

Bruce in Philly
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,614 Likes on 4,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Previous posts regarding oil consumption have resulted in responses that state that Porsche specification allows 1 liter per 1,000 miles (or something like that).

I've kind of ignored this information since I've yet to burn a drop in my 86K miles of stewardship (per measured out = measured in).

Has something changed regarding concerns for consumption or have I misunderstood previous posts on this topic?
Porsche puts out that number, but I'm not buying it. I don't think a precision engine with proper tolerances can or should burn anywhere near the amount they say is acceptable. There are caveats though, like high vacuum from a marginal AOS could suck a lot of oil through the motor and burn it up (needs to be checked by a manometer), long distance high rpm use, like on a track, etc.

I'm not saying that this car has scoring, just that high oil consumption needs to be caused by something and that something needs to be identified until everything is eliminated and then it's just one of the higher consuming engines that's within the Porsche consumption spec.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:51 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen several people on Rennlist and 6Speedonline say 1 liter in 1000km or 600 miles is allowable for the 9A1 but I can not find that documented as yet. There are certainly a lot of threads on this and it doesn't seem uncommon for many owners to use a lot of oil. Many say they use almost none and others report a liter in less than 1000 miles.
Found this on page 174 of my owners manual:
Engine oil consumption
It is normal for your engine to consume oil.
The rate of oil consumption depends on the quality
and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine
is operated, the climate, road conditions as well
as the amount of dilution and oxidation of the
lubricant.

Bill
Old 05-09-2019, 12:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Some engines use (virtually) no oil and some do. Oil consumption (within reason) is not a symptom of some serious problem. Dan (well known in this forum) has a high oil consumption M97 engine, which is going well in excess of 100k miles. This forum has a tendency to generalize everything and is developing a doomsday mentality which is not helpful.

Also... oil consumption depends on the type of oil used for any given engine. I have experienced varying levels of oil consumption on a 911 engine of another era, when using 3 different oil brands (same weight, same approvals).
Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,923 Likes on 2,911 Posts

^^^Couldn't agree more - My 2005 997S burned 1 qt every 800 miles - PPI showed no Bore Scoring issues
My 2007 997C4S burned 1 qt every 3000 miles - Never Bore Score inspected just took word of mouth from seller.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:16 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

My 997.2 doesn't burn any, not a drop between 5K oil change frequency, about twice a year.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
First post!! I would concur with the above. The metal has been brutally pushed up toward the rings, not scuffed both ways. That would point to bottom cylinder clearance that was sudden in nature. This does look like a seize...

I have been tracking on this post. I pulled the trigger on my Bucketlist car in September (09 C4S - hence the username...) and want to make sure I am doing everything I can to keep her healthy!

Mine uses quite a bit of oil. I wonder if that means I don't have to be as concerned about a seize due to larger clearances. I warm her up gently in any case.

How much is "quiet a bit of oil"? Just curious since the -09 C4S I once owned used more oil than any of the three 997's I've owned. About a quart every 1,200 miles or something like that as I recall it. Still well above Porsche's tolerance though which I think is as low as a quart per 600 miles or is it 800 miles? Can't remember but I'm sure someone can correct me.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
^^^Couldn't agree more - My 2005 997S burned 1 qt every 800 miles - PPI showed no Bore Scoring issues
My 2007 997C4S burned 1 qt every 3000 miles - Never Bore Score inspected just took word of mouth from seller.
Daaaaaannggg Groovezilla! The exhaust fumes of your SOLD 997 C4S have not even left the driveway yet and you already have a 1/2 a$$ed drawn big "Red/pink-ish X" covering your 997 signature pic.... You have a Heart of Stone and already off Celebrating with your new air cooled mistress.... like a boss... congrats!!! Thanks for rubbing it in too
Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Does anyone know if you can remove the oil pan and get a partial view of the bottom of the bores?
Bill
Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 AM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkerbill
Does anyone know if you can remove the oil pan and get a partial view of the bottom of the bores?
Bill
Yes. See.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:23 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Originally Posted by sbbarnett
Thank you very much. I had not seen this
Bill
Old 05-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Honestly, I suspect the issue is the change in consumption and not how much is used.
Peace

Bruce in Philly
Spot on. When you see a sudden change in how much oil the engine uses, that's a concern.

I have a 2006 GTI with 130k miles on it and it has used about one quart in 700 miles since new. It's always been thirsty. Runs like a top, doesn't smoke, and feels like new.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure