RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,174 Likes on 3,153 Posts

Deleted.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

How does it sound? It looks like it would scream WFO. Sound clip?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:56 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Once I have it (April 6th, if the shipping Gods allow it through the border...), I am going to try and get it on shortly thereafter.

I have noticed that this is in fact the time to get a bunch of work done as most suppliers are deeply discounting parts and services for sale.

The purpose of the swap is that is should be a touch quieter than the current 3" open Speedtech; now, the Speedtech doesn't bother me in sound levels or sustained highway driving, but as I have recently been drawn into this ridiculous BS that is going on here where the police have granted themselves 'subjective powers' that elevates their hearing abilities to Supermen levels, allowing them to define, on the street, without objective testing, how loud a car is and/or, whether or not it violated our Motor Vehicle Act, I am going to listen to my other half when she notes that yes, the Subaru is not that loud, but the Porsche is...

So far, I have about three hours of my time into fighting it, and a couple of hours from house counsel and no firm court date yet. In addition, I have received a clean bill of health from a Provincial testing authority that the car did not exceed 84db - the legislated maximum allowable is 87db, so I am really looking forward to getting the copper on the stand to explain how his hearing is so good, it can identify a 3db difference in sound in one vehicle, while 150 drove past the other way...
Old 04-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Related to the subwoofer discussion, I have the stock Bose (coupe) subwoofer, and it sounds absolutely awful. I'm thinking I will remove it to balance out some of the weight I'm adding back with the stock exhaust.
The factory Bose sub that mounts on the rear shelf weighs only a couple pounds, not really worth removing on a street car. You can greatly improve the sound quality of it for just a few dollars though: cover the back of it with some Dynamat (or similar, I prefer Noico which is available on Amazon). You can add a little polyfill to it as well. It makes a world of difference.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:22 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Once I have it (April 6th, if the shipping Gods allow it through the border...), I am going to try and get it on shortly thereafter.

I have noticed that this is in fact the time to get a bunch of work done as most suppliers are deeply discounting parts and services for sale.

The purpose of the swap is that is should be a touch quieter than the current 3" open Speedtech; now, the Speedtech doesn't bother me in sound levels or sustained highway driving, but as I have recently been drawn into this ridiculous BS that is going on here where the police have granted themselves 'subjective powers' that elevates their hearing abilities to Supermen levels, allowing them to define, on the street, without objective testing, how loud a car is and/or, whether or not it violated our Motor Vehicle Act, I am going to listen to my other half when she notes that yes, the Subaru is not that loud, but the Porsche is...

So far, I have about three hours of my time into fighting it, and a couple of hours from house counsel and no firm court date yet. In addition, I have received a clean bill of health from a Provincial testing authority that the car did not exceed 84db - the legislated maximum allowable is 87db, so I am really looking forward to getting the copper on the stand to explain how his hearing is so good, it can identify a 3db difference in sound in one vehicle, while 150 drove past the other way...
Bets of luck on that - will you let me know if you decide to sell the Speedtech exhaust once your new one is installed?
Old 04-01-2020, 05:56 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
Bets of luck on that - will you let me know if you decide to sell the Speedtech exhaust once your new one is installed?
Will do.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:58 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The factory Bose sub that mounts on the rear shelf weighs only a couple pounds, not really worth removing on a street car. You can greatly improve the sound quality of it for just a few dollars though: cover the back of it with some Dynamat (or similar, I prefer Noico which is available on Amazon). You can add a little polyfill to it as well. It makes a world of difference.
Good call.

I've also read that the stock system doesn't even have a low-pass filter on the sub, which could explain some of the signature Bose boominess.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

Unloaded my new-to-me 2001 996TT. Can't say enough good things about Terry Berry, Cars Enclosed, Inc. on the transport from Chicago. Text him at 314-406-4720 if you need reliable, fairly priced transport. My guards red 996NA will be on BaT soon. Fingers crossed the world doesn't collapse [further] in the next ~10 days. I'm going No Reserve. [/gulp]

Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good job! Turbo looks nice.

I pulled an 85 Carrera Targa off the market because it clearly wasn't going to sell.

If the world collapses into total anarchy, I see you will be one of the only people on the road with that Chevy...
Old 04-01-2020, 06:29 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Quite an upgrade from the 99 C2 to the turbo. Nice catch. Lets hear your impressions.

Just noticed, black with tan, oooohhh. That is what i was looking for but did not find it in my 6 month search.

i did a similar move about 4 years ago from a 99 C4 to the 02 TT. I figured that i only get to buy so many Porsche's in my life and this one may be the last. I want it to be the "can't ask for any more" one. I plan on driving it until they pry it from my cold fingers.

Now its time for you to say 'i am going to keep it stock". Then drive it for a month and change your mind, let the slippery slope begin.
The following users liked this post:
Ogr8frogy (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
If the world collapses into total anarchy, I see you will be one of the only people on the road with that Chevy...
I just learned from my brother-in-law last weekend the concept of an "Armageddon escape vehicle" in the wake of all out war. That wasn't on my checklist when shopping for a truck about my age, but I'll take it!

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Now its time for you to say 'i am going to keep it stock". Then drive it for a month and change your mind, let the slippery slope begin.
I am going to keep it stock.

I think....
Old 04-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
There's nothing wrong with that.

Congrats on the 996 Turbo.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
I just learned from my brother-in-law last weekend the concept of an "Armageddon escape vehicle" in the wake of all out war. That wasn't on my checklist when shopping for a truck about my age, but I'll take it!

I think....
Originally Posted by Dock
There's nothing wrong with that.

Congrats on the 996 Turbo.
Dock isn’t wrong but it is VERY tempting (and easy) to mod these cars... Welcome to the club!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
This is intriguing to me, can you elaborate on where you installed the Noico and how much polyfill you added? I’m assuming you removed the speaker to insert the polyfill?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Ogr8frogy
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

That seems to be the hardest thing to do here, leave it stock.
thats great if you can, but as said earlier it is hard to do and once you start changing things it really is a slippery slope.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?