What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
cops can easily google 996tt underbody and know your car has an afm exhaust.
What does afm stand for?
Old 04-14-2020, 07:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wondering what acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) has to do with exhausts...
Old 04-14-2020, 07:29 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
What does afm stand for?
Aftermarket.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:38 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
The only reason I have done this is due to the over exuberance of the Vancouver City Police and their newly developed 'sound evaluating' and 'mechanical observation' skill set. The turbo was pretty loud, louder than the STI that I just recently got a Vehicle Inspection ticket in. What bothered me was the length the cop went to to issue the ticket - climbed under the car and took pictures - so part of my thinking is that if the exhaust is black, and not shiny ti, it will be harder for them to argue it wasn't stock.
And using the same logic, you're going to get rid of the shiny blue tips too, right?
Old 04-14-2020, 07:55 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
The only reason I have done this is due to the over exuberance of the Vancouver City Police and their newly developed 'sound evaluating' and 'mechanical observation' skill set. The turbo was pretty loud, louder than the STI that I just recently got a Vehicle Inspection ticket in. What bothered me was the length the cop went to to issue the ticket - climbed under the car and took pictures - so part of my thinking is that if the exhaust is black, and not shiny ti, it will be harder for them to argue it wasn't stock.
i got a noise ticket in LA long ago. did nothing and drove to the CHP and they signed off on it as "corrected". pure luck, and the cop was just a ****.

do you up there have an equivalent of our "CA Air Resources Board"? down here "they" can flag your exhaust if it's aftermarket and it doesn't have an official "CARB number" rendering it "legal" for use. in the same way it's all but impossible to get "legal" aftermarket CATS here.

I've never heard of anyone having to pull their exhaust for it, but do know of issues where a smog station tech wouldn't pass it for smog testing. then serious jumping thru hoops often with a "BAR" referee is required. or back to the stocker.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 80 Posts

Mine is a daily driver anyway, but tonight I decided to push the limits a little bit while going home. I don't think I've seen a police officer 2 weeks.

Regardless of what they say, I have a friend who works in a courthouse. Their officers have been instructed not to stop people for driving infractions.

This may be the only good / fun thing about sickening disease.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:44 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

i've seen 5 chp's sitting by side of the road in the last couple weeks, the *average* speed on CA freeways lately seems to be at least 80 mph.

Originally Posted by tom__w
This may be the only good / fun thing about sickening disease.
that, and fuel cost. i filled up at 2.89 a gal. unseen in over a decade +.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:44 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have a friend who works in a courthouse. Their officers have been instructed not to stop people for driving infractions.
All driving infractions or some driving infractions?
Old 04-14-2020, 09:22 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

All driving infractions or some driving infractions?
She wasn't specific. My guess is anything considered relatively harmless:

speeding
not using signal to change lanes
not coming to a full stop
etc

I did see a young girl drive a BMW through a red light tonight. That, in my opinion, is one of the most dangerous moves and should be ticketed.

But with no cops to be found, I fear idiots like this are going to start killing themselves and others.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

She wasn't specific. My guess is anything considered relatively harmless:

speeding
not using signal to change lanes
not coming to a full stop
etc
I'd be surprised if anyone in the court system (and who would that be? the DA, a judge?) would tell officers not to enforce all speeding infractions. Telling an officer not to stop someone driving triple digits would be criminal.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:45 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

IN NJ officers have nowhere to be found last few weeks, I can tell you that because a 2 hour drive would take me hour+40min or even less. GSP was 90mph+ by everyone. 287 and 78 same thing 85+
They are slowly showing back up now so watch it
The following users liked this post:
tom__w (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

I'd be surprised if anyone in the court system (and who would that be? the DA, a judge?) would tell officers not to enforce all speeding infractions. Telling an officer not to stop someone driving triple digits would be criminal.
I'm sure that officer discretion is still in place. Driving triple digits in a residential area is one thing. Driving triple digits on an empty stretch of highway is another, with the key distinction being relatively harmless.

Not that I would know.....

Old 04-14-2020, 09:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm sure that officer discretion is still in place.
I'm questioning that anyone with jurisdiction has told officers to not enforce all speed laws.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:59 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

I'm sure that officer discretion is still in place. Driving triple digits in a residential area is one thing. Driving triple digits on an empty stretch of highway is another, with the key distinction being relatively harmless.

Not that I would know.....
my take is that during this brief period of greater concerns re the "lockdown", the average speed on the nation's highways has increased, as we all know. leo's are responding accordingly ( or more likely not, as the case may be ) and letting the least egregious and less dangerous offenses "pass". that said, any of them clocking someone at trip digits will quickly find that law is still being "enforced".

this is the first time i can recall driving past CA CHP at 80 mph with the flow of traffic - seeing them beforehand, tapping the brakes before i pass them, and realizing i'm currently being "overly" cautious.

this will not last.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:04 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

I'm questioning that anyone with jurisdiction has told officers to not enforce all speed laws.
I have it first (well second) hand. I have no reason to think my friend would lie to me.

I don't know where you live but I'd be surprised if you haven't seen a lower than usual police presence.

Do you think that is because cops decided or because supervisors/etc approved?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?