Old 05-17-2020, 01:46 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 335 Likes on 232 Posts

Here is another view

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
pelican ( same as ) book time for an alt replacement of four hrs is about right. for the estimate. i ( "we"... when i say "i" i always mean "we" ) did mine in two hrs or under. another driveway extravaganza. but that's how book time works. it's always two "actual" hours of labor and two hours for the "house".

i have the spoiler re-bleed step by step if and when you need it. it's not for the feint of heart. but if you are doing this stuff on your own and are a DIY'r unless you can't?. you can do it. doing most anything on these the first time takes book time or longer. reasonably so. but the 7th time? cut book time in half.
Impressed by anyone who can change an alternator start to finish in two hours. Though when I think about how much time I wasted fumbling for various sockets, extensions, wobblers, etc,. and a few out-of-order steps that had to be reversed and corrected, it makes sense.

Yes, I would be interested in your step-by-step re-bleed info. Eminently capable, and motivated. The spoiler functionality is so unimportant to me, once I solve current issues, I think I'll go with another rennlister's method of disabling the automatic system, and just cycle the spoiler a few times a year to keep rigor mortis from setting in.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:30 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Impressed by anyone who can change an alternator start to finish in two hours. Though when I think about how much time I wasted fumbling for various sockets, extensions, wobblers, etc,. and a few out-of-order steps that had to be reversed and corrected, it makes sense.

Yes, I would be interested in your step-by-step re-bleed info. Eminently capable, and motivated. The spoiler functionality is so unimportant to me, once I solve current issues, I think I'll go with another rennlister's method of disabling the automatic system, and just cycle the spoiler a few times a year to keep rigor mortis from setting in.
my friend that helps me has been working on these for nearly 20 years 5/6 days a week. i stand there and find tools when asked and half the time i get them wrong. but being there for everything from clutch replacements to brakes to spoilers - all manner of "multi item fixit sessions" - has afforded me a look behind the curtain of the ( ahem ) mystery behind the mechanics of the car - how long it *actually* takes to r&r "bolt on" stuff and - that service advisors that quote "book time" are mini versions of the wizard of oz, and often need their curtains pulled. but again, first time for anything, book time or longer seems reasonable. again, half is also reasonable if one ( just not you or me ) has changed an alt 100 times.

re spoiler etc. here's the basic process and porsche even has a "white paper" on it. it might be in the manual? but mine burned up long ago. but here's the step by step many have used if it helps you when you try. obviously removing the decklid and an alternate 12v power source will be needed. GL w it if and when you do it. i like my spoiler working "oem" and 3 or 4 re-bleeds have been all that been necessary to keep it fully functional for the last ten years.

1. Open rear deck-lid with spoiler in down position

2. Put towels/plastic over the engine to keep fluids from dripping onto engine or body parts.

3. Remove approx. one dozen bolts that retain shroud/fan to deck-lid

4. Loosen and remove 4 retaining acorn style nuts that hold pump onto shroud

5. Cut tie wraps that retain electrical wires and hydraulic lines so pump can be removed

6. Lift pump off shroud, loosen and remove banjo fittings on driver's side of pump watch for fluid to leak out and catch in a paper towel or rag. I held pump with channel locks for a good hold while loosening

7. Remove the positive and negative wires on the opposite end of the pump.

8. Unplug sensors on passenger side ram carefully as they are sensitive. They are under a plastic cover that pulls off

9. Turn pump upside down in proper waste recepticle to empty the fluid remaining

10. With 12 volt power source, connect positive and negative to pump connectors. You will feel the torque and hear the pump motor turning, have a towel ready to catch any remaining fluids

11. With pump in hand, slowly add fluid. The Lucas product has a snout that you can cut and place into recpticle. This took approx. 20 minutes of adding, waiting for it to seep into pump, add more, wait, add more, etc...until bubbles stop coming up. Pump should then be full

12. Carefully attach banjo fittings with pump held upright. A small amount of fluid will seep when attaching banjo bolts

13. Torque the banjo bolts snug

14. Place pump onto shroud, tighten acorn nuts and connect wires

15. Connect sensors to ram (I used a tie wrap to hold sensors in place)

16. Place shroud in position on deck lid and snug up the dozen bolts

17. Tie wrap the electrical wires to the shroud

18. Actuate spoiler from dash with key on to see if you get the warning light
Old 05-17-2020, 04:41 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

so ( no one will care but who cares lol ) i had long planned my early AM solo run to clear my head as others will understand during this "madness" and departed ear;ly and way before any traffic ( though traffic is half of usual still ) and i decided to take a detour into the west end of the san fernando valley an hour from my starting point to check on my abandoned office and pick up piles of accumulated mail.

as i began the return trip. i found myself at the starting point of a mini cannonball run comprised of mostly new super cars. f cars, mcclarens and about 6 or7 really nice shiny porsches 991t's/gt3'/spankin' new 2rs etc. and my position at the light brought many of them next to, and behind me as we waited to enter the 101 fwy west. what a happy accident that was. as we all quickly gained speed and passed whatever mini vans were in front, we were able for a good 30 miles to run and swap places in a way that i havent done in .. don't know how long. what a joy to find my 'ol gal capable of maintaining and keeping her own with $300K shiny new cars. i may have been the red haired step-child of the bunch, but i assure you, held our old yet proven platform and 996t iteration in good stead.

i'm quite sure i broke laws this AM and never once wore a mask. funny how the outlaws these days are the guys with-OUT the masks on oh, happy day. refueled at my favorite gas station lol

Last edited by k9turbo; 05-17-2020 at 04:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by k9turbo:
Dingo (05-18-2020), LinwoodM (05-17-2020), manimal (05-18-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:03 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

^ Doesn't that feel good. I've been doing a good amount of driving with some local guys, and the 996TT outruns newer p-cars, lambos, lotuses, GTRs, etc. The 1200hp GTR had me in a straight line though
Old 05-17-2020, 05:42 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
^ Doesn't that feel good. I've been doing a good amount of driving with some local guys, and the 996TT outruns newer p-cars, lambos, lotuses, GTRs, etc. The 1200hp GTR had me in a straight line though
100%.. most fun i've had in ages. i could tell also that some of them were shocked that i was with them all the way. these cars are holding up really well in the power dept!
The following 2 users liked this post by k9turbo:
Carlo_Carrera (05-17-2020), Ogr8frogy (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Ogr8frogy
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I haven’t found to many high end super cars around me, yes there a few but don’t see them out that much. Mostly snobs that drive them here.
what I keep finding is a lot of the mopar guys that want to play and I haven’t had any trouble yet on the open road with any of them.
This car is still amazing at what it can do and how well it does pull when it gets a chance to stretch it legs some.
I can’t wait to do a custom tune with some upgrades when I have time to do it. I’m thinking it should be real interesting then.
The following users liked this post:
k9turbo (05-17-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:24 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Sunday Funday.... Today was a bit of a bigger group than I usually drive with, but great weather, great roads and plenty of cool cars.

It was the last weekend before the new Turbo arrives, I *really* love driving my 6TT, especially for these kind of drives. I'm kind of interested in which one I'll gravitate towards for weekend drives once I have some seat time and tweaks in the new 991 TTS

Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

man, you've got a hovercraft instead of a go-pro lol. awesome.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025

Alternator change on these cars is a joke. I can't remember all the steps but think it could pretty easily be done in under an hour. BTW it is usually fixed by just changing out the brushes.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:58 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

it's funny. once the airbox is out. most all is revealed lol.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 AM
Testdr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Repainted my side markers. Chrome was peeling.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
Here is another view

How'd you extend it?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
What did you do to your 996TT today?

Adopted a new sibling for her....

Congrats P, guess we won't be seeing you much in this sub-forum much ;0 Very nice car, is it a PDK or manual? Post some more pics when you get it.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I think all 991 Turbos are PDK only.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?