Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I drove it to work today. Not a big deal except I just got back from China this morning. After a week in that **** hole traffic crawl it was a liberating experience.

"Porsche. There is no substitute." Could/should damn well be "Porsche. Freedom.".
Old 07-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Got this today! Thank you John @ Speedtech, awesome product!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mesh grills!
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2016, 04:38 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 245 Posts

^^^ Those look nice
Old 07-04-2016, 05:51 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
^^^ Those look nice
Yes they do. I like the honeycomb pattern.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:46 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,081 Posts

As part of preventative maintenance, replaced all 3 radiators and all the coolant hoses up front. After 14 years, the original radiators were still going strong but were pretty packed with junk.

I also removed the carpets and skimmed the foam insulation off the back of them. It was a nice large garbage bag full of 18lb weight savings. When I was reinstalling the carpets I noticed that the factory throttle pedal had a lot of flex to it in the flex joint at the base. I ended up taking it apart to make sure the flex joint was not broken which happens frequently with the stock pedal. It was not but the whole pedal, while needlessly complex, has a very flimsy plastic joint (pictured below) which is prone to failure if you hell and toe aggressively. . There is not really much that can be done. Just by chance I had a Rennline Rev3 adjustable throttle pedal on hand which I bought a couple of year ago but never got around to installing it. Now was the perfect chance. While the installation instructions are very thorough, it still takes about 3 hours to get everything installed and adjusted properly. The plastic OEM throttle pedal body is retained but modded slightly to accept the billet aluminum throttle pedal. I must say it's well worth the effort. You end up with a very beefy pedal that has zero flex to it. Compared to the OEM plastic pedal, it's night and day. It is also fully adjustable in all directions including pitch making the perfect position easily achievable. You can also add the optional Rennline heel and toe tabs if you prefer that. Definitely a great upgrade..

Foam insulation:

Flimsy OEM plastic pedal flex joint:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JBvKXh]

Metal Rennline adjustable pedal body:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HQm4Qd]

Installed pedal without pedal covers:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JDJgLt]

Installed finished product:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JBvLgJ]
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

John looks like the V3 (I had v2 in a 987) replaces the plastic hinge nicely. I must say in defense of the hinge that I've beat on those mercilessly for two decades and haven't broken one yet. But I always wondered. Wrt the radiators, you went stock with the replacements, I guess in this case they proved their durability.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbracerx
John looks like the V3 (I had v2 in a 987) replaces the plastic hinge nicely. I must say in defense of the hinge that I've beat on those mercilessly for two decades and haven't broken one yet. But I always wondered. Wrt the radiators, you went stock with the replacements, I guess in this case they proved their durability.
Mine wasn't broken either but it was visibly flexing and twisting. Just wasn't very reassuring. Having the adjustability is nice and overall the pedal is smoother.

Yeah, the OEM radiators are good. Zero issues. We run factory radiators in everything including the Spec Boxsters that we run in 12 and 24hr races.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Oil change Heresy

Changed my oil using Rotella T6 5-40 last night. But i did it without warming up the engine. Some people may think i am lucky to have made it to work with this level of disregard for the Porsche procedures. But it think i may have gotten more oil out of it than last time when i warmed it up. The cold oil does not splash nearly as much when pulling the plug on the tank and the oil filter housing is practically dry when i pull the filter out. It took a little over 9 qts. like last time but was soo much more pleasurable to deal with. I just let it sit a little longer to drain. Forgot to mention the reason for the rotella was to try and quiet the Mezger rattle. Seems to have helped a little.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:23 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

The hot drain procedure is a bit silly in my opinion. As long as you let the car sit with a longer drip time you actually end up getting more oil out when doing a cool drain because the oil has already had more time to drain off interior parts. At least that's been my experience.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

If you live in a warm climate (70F and up) changing the oil cold will generally yield fine results but if you live in a cool climate (50F and under) changing the oil when cold will leave condensation residue inside the engine. That condensation traps some of the impurities you are trying to remove via the oil change. Thus you are not quite getting all the benefits from the fresh oil.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-07-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The hot drain procedure is a bit silly in my opinion. As long as you let the car sit with a longer drip time you actually end up getting more oil out when doing a cool drain because the oil has already had more time to drain off interior parts. At least that's been my experience.
Agreed. Just wait, that's one of the luxuries of at home service, where the dealer needs to rush you along.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my Turbo I do a WARM engine oil change - oil probably 100 degrees, works great. But then again I run 20/50 .... and in the 930 :-)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:36 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I do cold oil changes also. Always have. Do it first thing in the AM after all the oil had drained down to the pan.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Changed my oil using Rotella T6 5-40 last night. But i did it without warming up the engine. Some people may think i am lucky to have made it to work with this level of disregard for the Porsche procedures. But it think i may have gotten more oil out of it than last time when i warmed it up. The cold oil does not splash nearly as much when pulling the plug on the tank and the oil filter housing is practically dry when i pull the filter out. It took a little over 9 qts. like last time but was soo much more pleasurable to deal with. I just let it sit a little longer to drain. Forgot to mention the reason for the rotella was to try and quiet the Mezger rattle. Seems to have helped a little.
Clearly there are arguments for and against doing a change on a cold engine (I've done both) but nowhere in the Porsche workshop manual procedure for doing an oil change on this car does it specify that the engine oil should be warm before loosening any of the drain plugs.

It does warn against scalding oil but that's is likely given the concept that the oil is being changed at the dealership after the car has recently been driven.

Step one for a change - with or without a filter - is "loosen drain plugs" and given the specificity of the other steps and the 2000-odd pages in the manual, if they really wanted you to warm it up, they'd say so.

Not saying it's wrong to warm it up, just that no one will go to the Red Keep of Zuffenhausen if they drain it cold.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?