Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I signed the papers on my new-to-me '01 996T two days ago! Dealer is putting in a new clutch before sending it to me. It's gonna be an agonizing wait! My first Porsche.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:24 AM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up my daughter from school today in the Porsche, and while driving her off to her afternoon activities, I stopped at a red light. While waiting for the light to turn green, to my left a couple of young boys in their Dad's SUV were staring at my 996tt.

Couldn't help but smile... as soon as the light hit green, I stomped on the gas and all they saw were my car's rear end
Old 09-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to meet my cars future owner for the first time yesterday in the early morning.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Congrats Fishey.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:23 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome....Congrats!!!!.. My kids love cars (2yo boy, 9yo girl)...I'm already researching 987 Caymans (manual trans of course!) for my daughter, I think it would be perfect for her (I know it's still a while, but you can never be too prepared!)

Originally Posted by Fishey
[Img]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14212041_101537288

Got to meet my cars future owner for the first time yesterday in the early morning.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:40 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Put in new tail lights. Funny, at the local PCA breakfast I had three people ask if I had bought a new white turbo.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New PS2's! Always make the Turbo feel new again.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I just complete the first real project on my 2003 X50 52k miles

- Replaced the original plugs
- 4/6 coils were cracked, so I replaced all coils with the thicker Beru packs. They all fit fine, also the one right next to the pipe that some people report issues with. I also used the inverted torx screws that came with it. There was one pack that had a bolt that was close the bolt hole for the heat shield. I put a flat hex bolt there, since this is the bolt is too tall for the heatshield to mount flush. Once I did this, no need for washers.
- Replaced the motor mounts. Old ones were stretched, but other than that actually appeared in good shape. However after replacing them the passenger chair is not vibrating anymore. And car feels more tight. It also shifts way better, but that may have to do with the next point as well.
- Replaced the clutch accumulator. I had the typical symptom of a hard clutch pedal at start. Once the car was running it would get better, but I did notice that for the first few minutes the pedal would get more "stiff" in its depressing stroke. Also the pressure that was required to depress the pedal was slightly RPM dependent. Overall there was no confidence in the bite point of the clutch. Especially the shift from 1-2 was hard to complete smooth. Now that the accumulator is replaced the pedal feels completely different and completely predictable. Car shift great now. I think the power steering assist in the clutch pedal is slightly "underpowered" for the quick depressing of the clutch pedal. Especially at low rpm. After replacing the clutch accumulator I believe that the function of the accumulator extends beyond that of "just" reservoir that keeps the system pressurized for a cold start. I think it also aids in the providing additional boost in pressure when the power steering pump circuit falls short. If you have any of the symptoms that are in line with those that I describe, I would go ahead and replace it. It was relatively straight forward. The hardest part was finding a good wrench. I found a perfect one on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is thin and short. I had to put a piece of pipe on there to break the accumulator free, but with this wrench you have the space you need.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Nice project update. Good find on the wrench, I had to make one. And good point on the motor mounts, my passenger seatback shakes, may just try new mounts.

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
I just complete the first real project on my 2003 X50 52k miles

- Replaced the original plugs
- 4/6 coils were cracked, so I replaced all coils with the thicker Beru packs. They all fit fine, also the one right next to the pipe that some people report issues with. I also used the inverted torx screws that came with it. There was one pack that had a bolt that was close the bolt hole for the heat shield. I put a flat hex bolt there, since this is the bolt is too tall for the heatshield to mount flush. Once I did this, no need for washers.
- Replaced the motor mounts. Old ones were stretched, but other than that actually appeared in good shape. However after replacing them the passenger chair is not vibrating anymore. And car feels more tight. It also shifts way better, but that may have to do with the next point as well.
- Replaced the clutch accumulator. I had the typical symptom of a hard clutch pedal at start. Once the car was running it would get better, but I did notice that for the first few minutes the pedal would get more "stiff" in its depressing stroke. Also the pressure that was required to depress the pedal was slightly RPM dependent. Overall there was no confidence in the bite point of the clutch. Especially the shift from 1-2 was hard to complete smooth. Now that the accumulator is replaced the pedal feels completely different and completely predictable. Car shift great now. I think the power steering assist in the clutch pedal is slightly "underpowered" for the quick depressing of the clutch pedal. Especially at low rpm. After replacing the clutch accumulator I believe that the function of the accumulator extends beyond that of "just" reservoir that keeps the system pressurized for a cold start. I think it also aids in the providing additional boost in pressure when the power steering pump circuit falls short. If you have any of the symptoms that are in line with those that I describe, I would go ahead and replace it. It was relatively straight forward. The hardest part was finding a good wrench. I found a perfect one on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is thin and short. I had to put a piece of pipe on there to break the accumulator free, but with this wrench you have the space you need.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Unfortunately, I put it up for sale.

:-/
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie

Love that Speed Yellow and wheel combo.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Buy and selling is habitual. What Porsche is your next buy?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats Fishey.

We took the cars out for a spin on Sat. My 3yr old loves it!

Old 09-26-2016, 12:55 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Buy and selling is habitual. What Porsche is your next buy?
It certainly has been, but I had something of a business disaster (FBI arrested the CEO of my company) and I don't see a Porsche in the near future. :-(
Old 09-26-2016, 02:02 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

It certainly has been, but I had something of a business disaster (FBI arrested the CEO of my company)...
That can't be good for anything :-(

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?