Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 06:41 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
That's very cool; did they bond when heated?

Thanks for clarifying - I figured a 1/4" may be pushing the boundaries of good sealing.
They're not adhesive lined so it's just mechanical clamping from shrinkage when heated.
Old 07-05-2024, 06:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 3,083 Posts

So no heat shrink like properties - ie, when heated, they turn to go then bond as they cool?

How to you insure they stay put?
Old 07-05-2024, 07:04 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
So no heat shrink like properties - ie, when heated, they turn to go then bond as they cool?

How to you insure they stay put?
Not all heat shrink is adhesive lined.

These clamps shrink to a smaller ID than the OD of the splitter outlets so when heated it puts compression on the hose and splitter. It also seals around the hose stop on the splitter and the OD of the wire coil so it's binding the hose to the stop in the centerline direction of the outlets to an extent. Gates' application is mostly for coolant hoses.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...00-000000.html
Old 07-06-2024, 10:11 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 3,083 Posts

Pretty neat, never seen those before.
Old 07-06-2024, 10:41 AM
Teddlington
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Past week:
Worked out why my CD changer didn't work - MOST bypass thingy connected.
Worked out why it then only recognised two CDs - sharing the loop with an as yet undiscovered Bluetooth/usb module.
Disconnected CD changer again and use the Bluetooth now.

Today:
Ordered a centre console pocket to replace the CD store and an LED light for the engine bay (filament one was dead anyway).
Tried to clean the throttle body but defeated by Sudden Rain™ and a bit of mild confusion.
Videoed the boost hoses clicking into the plenum, sent it to all the engineers I know.
The following users liked this post:
vtec_ (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 04:43 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Yes, 100%. The stock stuff is really bad. The roads in Germany are pretty much perfect from what I gather so I suspect these would be good over there but not over here where we have pretty lousy roads, especially in the northeast.

The stock suspension had 95k miles on it or so, the fronts were pretty trashed but the rears were in good condition. The best way i could decribe the stock stuff was that it would clunk hard over bumps/potholes and if there were alot of them, it would "pack" the shock and it felt like they werent rebounding properly. I would try to avoid bumps but now even with them lowered to x73-ish spec (66 cm rear, 65.3 cm front) i can drive over them with confidence and it feels quite plush actually. I do notice on really hard turning it does feel alittle 'soft' but im hoping the gt3 rear sway will help with that. I also suspect if i were to go full hard on the clickers it would make it turn a bit better but for street use its fine as it is.
Dangit, I was hoping you would say it was not noticeable, hah. Mine is definitely harsh over potholes. Stock as far as I know, about the same mileage. I wouldn't say mine clunks but is firm. Glad it made it a difference. It's decent money and a good bit of work. I think the GT3 rear sway will make it understeer less but not positive. I have that but have not purchased any coilovers.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:14 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by paopao
This looks fantastic. Are you planning to productize it and sell them? Because I'd want one.
paopao (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 04:41 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
This looks fantastic. Are you planning to productize it and sell them? Because I'd want one.
Yes that's the plan. I have enough hose on hand to make 4 more intakes. Splitters and couplers are made to order.

Application notes:
- No bung on the splitter for the oil tank (can add if needed but will need to model)
- Doubt it will fit with an OEM fuel filter but will check
Capt. Obvious (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 05:21 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes that's the plan. I have enough hose on hand to make 4 more intakes. Splitters and couplers are made to order.

Application notes:
- No bung on the splitter for the oil tank (can add if needed but will need to model)
- Doubt it will fit with an OEM fuel filter but will check
Anyway you could make one for a tiptronic?
Old 07-07-2024, 05:43 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Anyway you could make one for a tiptronic?
I remember this coming up before, but I need to research this further. From what I understand the bell housing on the Tip is quite large so I need to see how that impacts the hose OD.
Old 07-07-2024, 07:19 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

I remember this coming up before, but I need to research this further. From what I understand the bell housing on the Tip is quite large so I need to see how that impacts the hose OD.
Id donate my car if i was closer..

If I were to buy a 3D scanner, would scanning the intake area on my car be of use with the engine in? How about with the engine out?

I was supposed to relocate down south at the end of this summer but things are getting kinda shaky at my startup tech job so I may be staying put. Maybe I can drop the motor on this thing in the fall and fix the coolant pipes...and scan it?
Old 07-08-2024, 12:58 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

It was Christmas in July here!!

Smoke machine, hoses, sunvisor lids for my TT.. yay! got alot of work to do on my other cars besides the TT this summer. Copper/Brass brushes are great for cleaning up parts and gasket surfaces!

I did actually did another boost leak test to try and figure out where the audible hiss was coming from, I think it is the venturi tube so im going to replace that and splice in a check valve like the IPD plenums have just in case.

Old 07-08-2024, 06:23 PM
Teddlington
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spent the evening trying to work out why my battery went flat last night.

​​​​​​Frunk latch switch seems a bit temperamental hooked up to the DMM on continuity mode but surely that would set the alarm off too if it was turning the light on enough to flatten the battery.

Found a tracker with a 2003 manufacturers date on, pulled it out. Now I'm wondering if it's going to be cutting my ignition tomorrow morning - guess I'll find out!
Old 07-09-2024, 01:22 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 309 Posts

It was Christmas in July here!!

Smoke machine, hoses, sunvisor lids for my TT.. yay! got alot of work to do on my other cars besides the TT this summer. Copper/Brass brushes are great for cleaning up parts and gasket surfaces!

I did actually did another boost leak test to try and figure out where the audible hiss was coming from, I think it is the venturi tube so im going to replace that and splice in a check valve like the IPD plenums have just in case.

Nice - where did you get the sun visor pieces with the warning sticker?
Old 07-09-2024, 01:58 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leftlane
Nice - where did you get the sun visor pieces with the warning sticker?
Amazon.com: Replacement Sunvisor Vanity Mirror Cover for Porsche 996, 997, 987 Boxster, Cayman : Automotive Amazon.com: Replacement Sunvisor Vanity Mirror Cover for Porsche 996, 997, 987 Boxster, Cayman : Automotive

They are a bit tricky to install though. Haven't got around to it yet but the pins need to be slightly modified to fit but some say you can snap em' in.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?