What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 05:07 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 3,071 Posts

Originally Posted by paopao
I think it's the best hose available for the application. The wire coil is wrapped and glued to the outer layer. The coil spacing is much closer than what you see on other hose product so it is very flexible and able to make tight bend radii. I tried the silicone/fabric lined hose that is most widely used for ducting in automotive/aircraft applications and it's just not as flexible and the ID distorts quite a bit.

That being said, I had to order 10 meters of it and imported from the UK (it's not sold here in the US). I think it's the same hose FVD uses in their intake kit but cannot say for certain.
What did they nail you for the hose?
Old 07-04-2024, 05:12 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
Amazing to see how clean everything is! The engine, the compartment and underside of the car! I am sure it is better than new ;-) Fantastic job Paopao!
Ask him how long it took to get it to this level of cleanliness…
The following 2 users liked this post by LinwoodM:
17ram2500 (07-05-2024), paopao (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 05:13 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
Ask him how long it took to get it to this level of cleanliness…
That appeals to my OCD - one day, maybe get the drivetrain out and spend six months cleaning the engine bay.

Pure bliss.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2fcknfst:
LinwoodM (07-04-2024), paopao (07-04-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 09:16 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

They make coiled hose with a smooth wall interior.

Hoses Archives - Canal Rubber

Old 07-05-2024, 10:35 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 114 Posts

I need sunglasses to look at that engine, wow.
The following users liked this post:
paopao (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 12:03 PM
simRen
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's the best hose available for the application. The wire coil is wrapped and glued to the outer layer. The coil spacing is much closer than what you see on other hose product so it is very flexible and able to make tight bend radii. I tried the silicone/fabric lined hose that is most widely used for ducting in automotive/aircraft applications and it's just not as flexible and the ID distorts quite a bit.

That being said, I had to order 10 meters of it and imported from the UK (it's not sold here in the US). I think it's the same hose FVD uses in their intake kit but cannot say for certain.
Makes a change, the amount of stuff I've bought from the states that I cant get in the UK! Customs must love me. Can someone remind Trump to sort that trade deal. Or Biden if he wakes up.
The following users liked this post:
paopao (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 12:31 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by simRen
Makes a change, the amount of stuff I've bought from the states that I cant get in the UK! Customs must love me. Can someone remind Trump to sort that trade deal. Or Biden if he wakes up.
Expect more tariffs if Trump gets in. Not to get too far off topic but the middle class in America is essentially being turned into a massive class of chavs as our industry has been hollowed out and the right wing protectionist types are hollering pretty hard about it.

I fiddled with the ride height some more, everything is set just right now. I set it back to stock ride height just to see how it worked and if I was using this car as a commuter/daily driver I would keep it here and it absorbed bumps and road chop really, really well.

Spoke with another well known turbo builder. It's amazing how everytime I ask for something specific, I get pushback and wacky answers that I know are bad advice. FFS. Wasn't asking for anything special either lol.

Last edited by vtec_; 07-05-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:44 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Spoke with another well known turbo builder. It's amazing how everytime I ask for something specific, I get pushback and wacky answers that I know are bad advice. FFS. Wasn't asking for anything special either lol.
The advice you get will get from them will get better, the more you pay for it. Just a hunch.

I washed my Turbo today and took some McGuire's leather stuff to clean the leather bits on my $3000.00 steering wheel ( that's what I now call it and will let it go for ). That was all I could do before the heat ( already brutal ) has set in. Not a driving day.

In other news my Rock Auto debacle of several weeks ago just ended today resulting in the return of three separate incorrectly shipped part orders. this now caused the banking institution I used to reverse their "provisional" charge-back to me, of the originally spent funds. My guess is that they were never able to actually "speak" with anyone there either! and so sided with the zombie company that has no "customer service" that is not wholly "automated and web based". Live and learn.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:54 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lazurus
The advice you get will get from them will get better, the more you pay for it. Just a hunch.

I washed my Turbo today and took some McGuire's leather stuff to clean the leather bits on my $3000.00 steering wheel ( that's what I now call it and will let it go for ). That was all I could do before the heat ( already brutal ) has set in. Not a driving day.

In other news my Rock Auto debacle of several weeks ago just ended today resulting in the return of three separate incorrectly shipped part orders. this now caused the banking institution I used to reverse their "provisional" charge-back to me, of the originally spent funds. My guess is that they were never able to actually "speak" with anyone there either! and so sided with the zombie company that has no "customer service" that is not wholly "automated and web based". Live and learn.
He wasn't really trying to "sell me" so to speak, but it wasn't the first time I got advice that is contradictory to what is pretty well known regarding tuning these engines (if you're familiar with this platform at all).

Like alot of American businesses, Rockauto can't pay one or two customer service folk $20 an hour to answer calls/emails.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:17 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

He wasn't really trying to "sell me" so to speak, but it wasn't the first time I got advice that is contradictory to what is pretty well known regarding tuning these engines (if you're familiar with this platform at all).

Like alot of American businesses, Rockauto can't pay one or two customer service folk $20 an hour to answer calls/emails.
Yeah, no re-inventing the known tricks of the platforms trade!

I'd have paid for advice not to use Rock Auto! They could afford it but why answer phones if hiding from customers is a successful business model. In all my years ( since online buying began 25 years ago ) of parts buying, this was the worst ever, and I'm grateful it was chump change stuff. Still one of my banks has facilitated outright theft of my funds. That pisses me off in principle alone. Then, there's the money!

So using your examples and mine. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes ya don't!
Old 07-05-2024, 03:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
What did they nail you for the hose?

I wonder if I can make that work with the Markski splitter - I can possibly take some off your hands.

My math says it about a 1/4" larger in diameter, is it flexible enough to clamp down and seal correctly?
Old 07-05-2024, 03:32 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 114 Posts

I fiddled with the ride height some more, everything is set just right now. I set it back to stock ride height just to see how it worked and if I was using this car as a commuter/daily driver I would keep it here and it absorbed bumps and road chop really, really well.
For potholes and expansion joints, would you say the coilovers soak these up better than the OEM struts/springs? What condition were the suspension parts you removed in as far as stiffness or original firmness?
Old 07-05-2024, 04:12 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
For potholes and expansion joints, would you say the coilovers soak these up better than the OEM struts/springs? What condition were the suspension parts you removed in as far as stiffness or original firmness?
Yes, 100%. The stock stuff is really bad. The roads in Germany are pretty much perfect from what I gather so I suspect these would be good over there but not over here where we have pretty lousy roads, especially in the northeast.

The stock suspension had 95k miles on it or so, the fronts were pretty trashed but the rears were in good condition. The best way i could decribe the stock stuff was that it would clunk hard over bumps/potholes and if there were alot of them, it would "pack" the shock and it felt like they werent rebounding properly. I would try to avoid bumps but now even with them lowered to x73-ish spec (66 cm rear, 65.3 cm front) i can drive over them with confidence and it feels quite plush actually. I do notice on really hard turning it does feel alittle 'soft' but im hoping the gt3 rear sway will help with that. I also suspect if i were to go full hard on the clickers it would make it turn a bit better but for street use its fine as it is.

Last edited by vtec_; 07-05-2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 06:35 PM
paopao
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I wonder if I can make that work with the Markski splitter - I can possibly take some off your hands.

My math says it about a 1/4" larger in diameter, is it flexible enough to clamp down and seal correctly?
I'd say no. The wire coil is what maintains the OD. so it wouldn't be ideal. The hose comes in several sizes.

That being said, I am using thermoplastic clamps to secure it to the splitter instead of worm clamps. They are pretty cool.

Old 07-05-2024, 06:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's very cool; did they bond when heated?

Thanks for clarifying - I figured a 1/4" may be pushing the boundaries of good sealing.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?