Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 08:14 PM
Celison
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Black is tough to maintain but looks amazing right after cleaning. I have used my pressure washer a few times on vehicles and it doesn't seem to do much compared to scrubbing with a mitt. I try to scrub front to back in lines to avoid swirl marks. I use a leaf blower or handheld Makita blower to get as much water off as possible before using a waffle weave drying towel. Are you drying completely with a blower?

Which front lip is that?
I agree the pressure washer alone isn’t enough. The microfiber towels for the actually cleaning work really well. And the dryer is from Adam’s I think? It’s heated and has a rubber tip in case you get too close. Lip is factory and needs replaced lol.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:16 PM
simRen
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just fitted the GT2 clutch power spring to my GT2 clutch slave. What a difference, pedal is now acceptable. The green turbo spring I could push in by hand. The bluey purple spring I couldn't.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:36 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by simRen
Just fitted the GT2 clutch power spring to my GT2 clutch slave. What a difference, pedal is now acceptable. The green turbo spring I could push in by hand. The bluey purple spring I couldn't.
Which part number spring did you install?
Old 07-31-2024, 11:42 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Took off my F-pipe today so I could get to the oil pressure sender unit as it's been giving me issues lately. It was extremely nerve racking getting into boost and watching the oil pressure gauge go to 0!

I managed to disconnect them and took a small wire brush and did my best to clean them up ( they werent that dirty tbh) and plugged them back in. Took it out for a drive and to get a late night dinner and all seems well so far. It's been replaced before so I imagine its probably on its way out so ill have to get a new one soon.
Old 08-01-2024, 01:28 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

I am trying to clear an airbag light with my Foxwell NT630. This is not a Porsche specific scantool. For the regions (USA, Japan, Europe, etc.), do those correlate to the manufacturing location or codes specific to those regions? Probably a dumb question but I don't want to fry anything.
I'd imagine this has to do with the region you live in, not where its manufactured.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:33 AM
simRen
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Which part number spring did you install?

I even have the SRM clutch master, but I don't think I'll need it now, though I might try it at some point just to see.

​​​
Old 08-01-2024, 11:43 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Celison
I agree the pressure washer alone isn’t enough. The microfiber towels for the actually cleaning work really well. And the dryer is from Adam’s I think? It’s heated and has a rubber tip in case you get too close. Lip is factory and needs replaced lol.
I use a microfiber mitt. I replace them or downgrade them to lower body panels as they loose their softness. Cool on the dryer. Not sure it would work here in 90% humidity though. The blower I use definitely reduces the number of towels required to dry off the car though. The Aerokit wing alone holds a ton of water. Gotcha, that is pretty typical. Ebay has cheap aftermarket replacement lips.
Old 08-01-2024, 11:46 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vtec_
I'd imagine this has to do with the region you live in, not where its manufactured.
The USA option only had domestic vehicles. The scanner has an Airbag option as well as SRS. The SRS menu did not have the 996 in it's list. The Airbag option is where the regions are. I went to Europe and selected Porsche. The 996 option was in there and it showed a passenger seat belt buckle fault. I guess that is used to turn on the door airbag if someone is sitting there. I reset it. Hopefully it doesn't come back as I am due for an inspection.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,527 Posts

The USA option only had domestic vehicles. The scanner has an Airbag option as well as SRS. The SRS menu did not have the 996 in it's list. The Airbag option is where the regions are. I went to Europe and selected Porsche. The 996 option was in there and it showed a passenger seat belt buckle fault. I guess that is used to turn on the door airbag if someone is sitting there. I reset it. Hopefully it doesn't come back as I am due for an inspection.
Only on US 996 Turbos, the seat belt buckle shows one resistance if unbuckled (400 ohms) and a second resistance if buckled (100 ohms). If the seat belt electrical connector is disconnected and ignition is turned on, the computer sees zero ohms and sets an airbag fault, which can only be reset with certain scanners or PIWIS. Can also happen if the connector glitches, or the wiring gets chaffed, or whatever.

ROW Turbos just provide ground if buckled, open circuit if unbuckled. But no SRS faults were set either way, and no SRS fault if the belt receptacle is electrically disconnected.

It's simple enough to basically defeat the extra SRS safety check that only US cars have: Unbuckle the seat belt connector and stick in a 100 ohm resistor between the two wires that would otherwise go to the buckle. Will eliminate the annoying door buzzer as well.

My understanding is that this was due to the US DOT regulations at the time that required the SRS system to explicitedly check if the person was bucked AND verify that the seat belt detection circuit was fully functional every ignition cycle. Unbuckled, you get no belt, no airbag and go ballistic.

Same sort of misguided safety regulations that prevented adaptive/matrix headlights from being implemented in the US for years. And restricted H4 headlights for years before that.

Last edited by pfbz; 08-01-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:45 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rituxumab
I opened the fuse block in my new to me ‘05 turbo S

to be certain how to use the dead-battery system as well as plan to purchase some spare fuses.

I love this car, the block was beautiful and included table of fuse positions, perfectly brief graphic instructions for battery boost, and - wow- a fuse puller with spare fuses in every amperage needed!

It’s another I Love Porsche feature
Clean looking fuse box! Now all you need is a C-Tek trickler/charger and one of those booster quick start things which I always have in the car.

In case you haven't yet experienced it? These cars are voltage hogs to the point it can feel like a parasitic draw. I always double lock the car with the fob ( dbl click it ) to fully shut off the ECU also. Just some helpful tips to keep the ignition key working and able to start as it should.
The following users liked this post:
rituxumab (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 06:30 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
Only on US 996 Turbos, the seat belt buckle shows one resistance if unbuckled (400 ohms) and a second resistance if buckled (100 ohms). If the seat belt electrical connector is disconnected and ignition is turned on, the computer sees zero ohms and sets an airbag fault, which can only be reset with certain scanners or PIWIS. Can also happen if the connector glitches, or the wiring gets chaffed, or whatever.

ROW Turbos just provide ground if buckled, open circuit if unbuckled. But no SRS faults were set either way, and no SRS fault if the belt receptacle is electrically disconnected.

It's simple enough to basically defeat the extra SRS safety check that only US cars have: Unbuckle the seat belt connector and stick in a 100 ohm resistor between the two wires that would otherwise go to the buckle. Will eliminate the annoying door buzzer as well.

My understanding is that this was due to the US DOT regulations at the time that required the SRS system to explicitedly check if the person was bucked AND verify that the seat belt detection circuit was fully functional every ignition cycle. Unbuckled, you get no belt, no airbag and go ballistic.

Same sort of misguided safety regulations that prevented adaptive/matrix headlights from being implemented in the US for years. And restricted H4 headlights for years before that.
Thanks. I was mainly just glad it was not the steering wheel airbag but any airbag light on the dash will still fail inspection, I believe. I did not hear a noise with the door open, just the ding with the fault showing up on the dash and the warning light in the lower cluster. If it does it again I will clean the contacts before resorting to disconnecting anything, The resistor method does not cancel out any side or dash airbags, does it?
Old 08-02-2024, 05:55 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the last time I drove the Turbo was last August maybe September. Finally have few hours to take it out and wash it a go for a nice drive. Now I need to clean the interior, about 1/2 lb of foam kept going through the vents when I turned on the AC.

vtec_ (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 07:08 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Does your scan tool not let you just searcy by vehicle? On my high end tool you can search for a specific vehicle and get all the enhanced capabilities for most cars.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:37 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,173 Likes on 3,152 Posts

Initial thoughts on the BC coilovers (non Porsche) are positive.
kamlung (08-02-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 01:33 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vtec_
Does your scan tool not let you just searcy by vehicle? On my high end tool you can search for a specific vehicle and get all the enhanced capabilities for most cars.
It's just a $100 Foxwell scanner but certainly an upgrade from my $20 Autel. I have not used it much to know all the options. I mainly bought for the ABS pump cycling but didn't use that feature when I bled the brakes.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?