Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 09:42 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you know how cross reference the manufactures Rockauto sells the same OEM manufactured parts as a Porsche dealer. OEM spark plugs, coils, ignition switches, fuel pumps, etc are all available at a huge discount.
I actually bought my sparkplugs from rockauto for my TT when I did the coilpacks. Aren't the ignition switches VW components?

Last edited by vtec_; 05-24-2024 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:45 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
... Aren't the ignition switches VW components?
Yes, and so are many other component.

The important thing is cross reference part numbers of what Rockauto is selling with other online parts dealers to make sure it is correct.
The following users liked this post:
manimal (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 12:10 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
I haven't had any cars payments in at least 20/25 years! I do not "miss" them that's for sure. Congrats on paying off that loan. In fact it's amazing to me that you were even able to secure a loan on a 20 year old car! Good for you @QwikkotaTX. One less thing to deal with $.

In other car foible and related news, I recently ordered some parts from Rock Auto ( anytime i think I'm "saving" money I usually end up not ) and they sent the wrong part! although it was listed as being the proper part(s). They immediately sent replacements which were ALSO WRONG! The only cool part of this process is they send out a replacement the moment they see the tracking number activated on the RMA which is self generated on their antiquated web site.

The "bad" news is - There are no humans or "normal" C/S assistance, and the entire site is web based only and the site appears as if it was created with 1996 web technology. They don't even have a PHONE number a customer can call.

Never again, and caveat emptor! Time is money, and I lost both.
Thanks. I have had low or 0% interest rates in the past. I have just about always paid extra on the loan to knock it down faster (except for the 0% loan) but this time was very aggressive to get that monkey off my back. Pentagon Federal CU didn't balk at the loan for an older car but did require lots of pictures of the condition. Interest rate was ridiculous though.

I have always had pretty good luck with Rock Auto. I have only done returns twice. That stinks you had such rotten luck. Same with whoever received the damaged strut. Crazy they got rid of their phone number for CS. I have called them in the past.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:52 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Thanks. I have had low or 0% interest rates in the past. I have just about always paid extra on the loan to knock it down faster (except for the 0% loan) but this time was very aggressive to get that monkey off my back. Pentagon Federal CU didn't balk at the loan for an older car but did require lots of pictures of the condition. Interest rate was ridiculous though.

I have always had pretty good luck with Rock Auto. I have only done returns twice. That stinks you had such rotten luck. Same with whoever received the damaged strut. Crazy they got rid of their phone number for CS. I have called them in the past.
I know, right?! Funnier still is I began to believe Carlo here when he said yesterday that ( paraphrasing ) "no one has CS phones any longer" and yesterday and even today as I began to sort out my final needed parts, I made note of all the vendors that *still*? have CS 800/888 phone lines, and they include Pelican/Parts Geek/RM European/EEuroparts/ECS and etc etc.. I could go on, so - in spite of suggestions to the contrary, CS phone lines seem to thankfully still be alive and well. Just not at Rock Auto! People often have questions when ordering stuff, and I'm sure that keeping a CS open phone line(s) is good for their business, and probably offsets their added payroll costs.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:14 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

I know, right?! Funnier still is I began to believe Carlo here when he said yesterday that ( paraphrasing ) "no one has CS phones any longer" and yesterday and even today as I began to sort out my final needed parts, I made note of all the vendors that *still*? have CS 800/888 phone lines, and they include Pelican/Parts Geek/RM European/EEuroparts/ECS and etc etc.. I could go on, so - in spite of suggestions to the contrary, CS phone lines seem to thankfully still be alive and well. Just not at Rock Auto! People often have questions when ordering stuff, and I'm sure that keeping a CS open phone line(s) is good for their business, and probably offsets their added payroll costs.
Most places have a frustrating automated interface that requires some work around to talk to an actual person. I have called Pelican several times, very helpful. No delay talking to someone unless they are busy. Some of their prices seem higher than others but orders over $100 ship free and they let you use your PCA discount once a year.

I need to buy a clutch master but will shop around. Sunset has it for $25 cheaper than Pelican but the shipping quote for a small object is over $30! Ridiculous.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:35 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Most places have a frustrating automated interface that requires some work around to talk to an actual person. I have called Pelican several times, very helpful. No delay talking to someone unless they are busy. Some of their prices seem higher than others but orders over $100 ship free and they let you use your PCA discount once a year.

I need to buy a clutch master but will shop around. Sunset has it for $25 cheaper than Pelican but the shipping quote for a small object is over $30! Ridiculous.
Pelican as I have said was once my "go to" since they were in SoCal and receipt of goods was very prompt. Lately though I have been using RM European ( in CO? ) and case in point; I ordered some added needed stuff Tuesday after business hours, and was surprised to find my order delivered by mid-day Thursday of this week. $7.99 shipping non "expedited". I even got an email notification that an item in my "project list" had gone on sale which I found helpful too. Those "project list" features that most vendors now have incorporated into their websites I find to be really helpful. Pelican is still really helpful but their pricing as Carlo recently noted is not "the best" and possibly even higher than many others, as it once was very competitive by comparison.

My since hope is that I'm done buying discretionary maintenance parts for 2024! At least the new clutch was LAST year!
Old 05-24-2024, 05:19 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Pelican as I have said was once my "go to" since they were in SoCal and receipt of goods was very prompt. Lately though I have been using RM European ( in CO? ) and case in point; I ordered some added needed stuff Tuesday after business hours, and was surprised to find my order delivered by mid-day Thursday of this week. $7.99 shipping non "expedited". I even got an email notification that an item in my "project list" had gone on sale which I found helpful too. Those "project list" features that most vendors now have incorporated into their websites I find to be really helpful. Pelican is still really helpful but their pricing as Carlo recently noted is not "the best" and possibly even higher than many others, as it once was very competitive by comparison.

My since hope is that I'm done buying discretionary maintenance parts for 2024! At least the new clutch was LAST year!
Buying expensive parts that don't add horsepower or improve handline is definitely not fun. I am paranoid about messing my clutch up.

I will keep RM Euro in mind, I had not heard of them. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:48 PM
homelessdave
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Pelican is still really helpful but their pricing as Carlo recently noted is not "the best" and possibly even higher than many others, as it once was very competitive by comparison.
I have order elsewhere for 6 years as Pelican has not once had the best pricing on the parts I've needed. Glad to find out that I'm not missing something.
​​​​​​​
Old 05-24-2024, 06:43 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

RM Euro is ~10 minutes from me. They used to allow local pickup, which was awesome. Sadly they don't anymore...
Old 05-24-2024, 07:57 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Torqued my front axles to 360 ft lbs!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:05 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Scored a used carbon fiber hand brake locally

The following 3 users liked this post by docwyte:
kamlung (05-28-2024), LinwoodM (05-24-2024), vtec_ (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 11:36 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Scored a used carbon fiber hand brake locally

what are you replacing with it? My aluminum black leather one has seen better days…
The following users liked this post:
travs_997 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:40 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Buying expensive parts that don't add horsepower or improve handline is definitely not fun. I am paranoid about messing my clutch up.

I will keep RM Euro in mind, I had not heard of them. Thank you.
They are very good and super attentive to orders I have found. After this recent debacle on parts ordering I'm going to stay with the mid level online vendors such as noted above and try and avoid these others. I also have had success also with parts and stuff from Fleabay, of all places. Even though there is no C/S to speak of, maybe I've just been lucky there.

I have always been amazed at just how long a stock clutch *can* last, even when mildly modified with a tune and exhaust etc. Not uncommon to hear of them lasting well over 75k miles absent hard abuse. I think T2's outlier 996 Turbo clutch life came close to or exceeded 100k? The connected hydraulic parts - Not so much.

@docwyte I can imagine unexpectedly needing one missing or failed part one day to finish something and being that close to them, and then having to wait for a carrier delivery! I did notice they say "no local pickup".
Old 05-25-2024, 10:53 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
what are you replacing with it? My aluminum black leather one has seen better days…
I've got an all black leather hand brake now
Old 05-25-2024, 10:54 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

They are very good and super attentive to orders I have found. After this recent debacle on parts ordering I'm going to stay with the mid level online vendors such as noted above and try and avoid these others. I also have had success also with parts and stuff from Fleabay, of all places. Even though there is no C/S to speak of, maybe I've just been lucky there.

I have always been amazed at just how long a stock clutch *can* last, even when mildly modified with a tune and exhaust etc. Not uncommon to hear of them lasting well over 75k miles absent hard abuse. I think T2's outlier 996 Turbo clutch life came close to or exceeded 100k? The connected hydraulic parts - Not so much.

@docwyte I can imagine unexpectedly needing one missing or failed part one day to finish something and being that close to them, and then having to wait for a carrier delivery! I did notice they say "no local pickup".
Well, they don't keep anything in stock. So even if you're local, unless you already ordered the part and it got shipped to their office, you'd be out of luck. Their office is literally a couple guys with computers and phones, no warehouse stock of anything...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?