What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 01:46 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Beautifully maintained specimen and nice mods. GLWS
Thank you. Hate that I have to sell it after pouring my heart and soul into her. Sometimes, adulting sucks.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:18 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks very similar to the FVD/Raid w/ airbag but that appears to use the OEM airbag center section. The Raid wheel I have has a proprietary(?) airbag, or at least I think it's "theirs". It came with a very small Porsche crest that is simply a "stick on" add on. I recall some warning that in a frontal impact airbag deploying event, I might end up with a Porsche crested forehead. I've had airbag deployment in a 996 Turbo and I'll take my chances with that "sticker".
The Raid wheel does not use a proprietary airbag as they were also used in some Mercedes in the early 2000s.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:11 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
Thank you. Hate that I have to sell it after pouring my heart and soul into her. Sometimes, adulting sucks.
Explaining exactly why I've never really "grown up". I empathize with your commitments, and sorry you are parting ways with that car. I get it. I'm struggling with a similar choice soon needing to be made, and mine is simply there's nowhere "fun" to drive where I am. Nothing really fun for me about speeding in a straight line, and that's not what my car is built for. I miss the mountains! Again GL that car is really well sorted from the build/mods and looks fantastic! I'm sure you'll get your price.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:13 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by jcc0016
The Raid wheel does not use a proprietary airbag as they were also used in some Mercedes in the early 2000s.
So they cannibilaized the OEM when they made them? Or retrofitted an OEM part. I just hope I never see it in action ( again ).
Old 05-29-2024, 04:47 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

So they cannibilaized the OEM when they made them? Or retrofitted an OEM part. I just hope I never see it in action ( again ).
The part numbers are the same on the back of an inflator found on some mercedes airbags as well as what is inside an Raid steering wheel. The inflator inside the 996 wheel is slightly different.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:34 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by jcc0016
The part numbers are the same on the back of an inflator found on some mercedes airbags as well as what is inside an Raid steering wheel. The inflator inside the 996 wheel is slightly different.
Thanks. It wouldn't make sense I suppose for them to have made their own airbag/inflator thing now that I think about it. Plus their explosive charges have some rules/regs they have to adhere to. I don't think they can even ship things like that in CONUS? Anyway, I really like that Raid/Atwie wheel. It's one of the best looking and functional mods on/in my car. I can't believe I saw one for $3K for sale! That's nuts. I wonder what the guy that has one upthread will sell his for?

In other news I am hopeful that today I am able to button up my front brake/rotor install as I now ( finally ) have all the correct bits. I will never again order small stuff from multiple vendors in the hope I save a few shekels. It could never be worth what I just went through. First time over in 20+ years I have ordered/received the "wrong" parts and once is enough. The lady at FedEx even began to recognize me.
Old 05-29-2024, 06:09 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
This is my wheel and I love it, makes the car feel far more modern than the thin rimmed stock wheel

I have a wheel from the same guy who did docwyte's, but in Alcantara. I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, the guy who did the work has been MIA for several years.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-29-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:35 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It wouldn't make sense I suppose for them to have made their own airbag/inflator thing now that I think about it. Plus their explosive charges have some rules/regs they have to adhere to. I don't think they can even ship things like that in CONUS?
Correct, international shipping cannot occur because it is considered an explosive. The airbag can be shipped, but the inflator has to be removed. I have seen those mercedes inflators pop up on marketplace where a vehicle is being parted out. Within the US, they can be shipped via UPS for example, it just has to be shipped as a "harzardous" good.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:07 PM
mrm996tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I installed my repaired ABS Module, installed new RS Motor Mounts (no more getting jammed up into 3rd gear), and installed new black foam tape on the defroster vent.

+washed car
Old 05-29-2024, 11:08 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 3,060 Posts

I did nothing, it stayed in Vancouver as I started the highly irritating drive back from Portland.

In fact, pretty happy I didn't have it - that section of road from sea tac to Everett is absolutely fvucking nuts with traffic. Clutch leg would have been unhappy.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (05-30-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 11:16 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Anyone got a recommendation for an alignment shop in the tri-state area? Power Tech in Rockaway is booked until July 9th

Id take it to a normal place but I believe a PIWIS is needed to calibrate the steering..
Old 05-29-2024, 11:24 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Anyone got a recommendation for an alignment shop in the tri-state area? Power Tech in Rockaway is booked until July 9th

Id take it to a normal place but I believe a PIWIS is needed to calibrate the steering..
Protosport North Jersey speak to Paul or John.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:46 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Can anyone here inform me as to why my brake pad wear sensor is now showing the "Low" error on the dash and the always on red light in the idiot cluster? Now I know why some crimp the wires and even don't connect them.

Does anyone has guidance? I'd sure appreciate it as I'd like to leave them connected. This has been a laborious and time consuming pad/rotor swap but it is finally done. Now for that dreaded light. First time I have ever seen it activated. It is very RED.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:46 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Can anyone here inform me as to why my brake pad wear sensor is now showing the "Low" error on the dash and the always on red light in the idiot cluster? Now I know why some crimp the wires and even don't connect them.

Does anyone has guidance? I'd sure appreciate it as I'd like to leave them connected. This has been a laborious and time consuming pad/rotor swap but it is finally done. Now for that dreaded light. First time I have ever seen it activated. It is very RED.
That light only comes on if the wear sensor is grounded or disrupted. You have exposed the wire somewhere or the sensor plug is not properly connected. Check the plugs first.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:43 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That light only comes on if the wear sensor is grounded or disrupted. You have exposed the wire somewhere or the sensor plug is not properly connected. Check the plugs first.
Thanks. My plan is wheels off again and check the connections. A quick search yields that there is sometimes an issue with the wiring loom that the sensors are first contacted to(?). If so, they are just gonna be unplugged. Apparently I'm not the first for this to have this happen. It's just a "first" for me. Nothing is ever "easy" it seems.

I've never been so happy to see a FedEx truck arrive and with it with the "correct" ( R ) side rotor, after three wrong ( L ) ones sent.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?