Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 02:01 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
$1200 for a steering wheel? I'd never release my grip. I got mine for $895! I dunno maybe 15 years ago and I actually saw on for sale on Ebay awhile back for like 3 grand! It's nice but... Not that nice!

I just hated those "DCT" refurbs that were all the rage back when. But they were flat bottom and made one for Tip owners with paddles so that's cool. Not a lot of choices in the steering wheel dept. for these. Did Momo ever make em? I don't recall ever seeing one for a Turbo.
Well, I'm about to lose the $1200 for a new HVAC thermostat at home. Tablet style for an inverter driven system, proprietary Lennox BS. Would rather have the wheel but window units are not working well in this heat.

If Momo did make one, it would not have an airbag. As far as I believe. The T96 wheels are the ones available now. I guess those are made by DCT.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:38 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by racer959
Protosport North Jersey speak to Paul or John.
Paul is a great guy...

you can also go to EuroTire in Fairfield right off rt 46...
Old 05-30-2024, 02:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,556 Posts

I would not recommend Eurotire for this type of work.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:48 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
The T96 wheels are the ones available now. I guess those are made by DCT.
Yeah, those are their offerings ( DCT ) and I was never a "fan" but our choices for non OEM options are few and far between. So I understand why some opt for those.

Re the HVAC, I've been there. At least once installed you wont have to sit in the Turbo to stay cool!
Old 05-30-2024, 04:51 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I would not recommend Eurotire for this type of work.
really? i thought he did full blown alignments and even corner balancing...
Old 05-30-2024, 06:23 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Yeah, those are their offerings ( DCT ) and I was never a "fan" but our choices for non OEM options are few and far between. So I understand why some opt for those.

Re the HVAC, I've been there. At least once installed you wont have to sit in the Turbo to stay cool!
Looks like some (carbon/leather) are up to $1400 now. Oof! That's a lot of coin.

The condenser fan is also bad and is $450 to replace (labor only) but at least it's under warranty. It's almost as much as a steering wheel as well. I have been dealing with the fancy thermostat not connecting for years. So ready to be done with that nonsense. The A/C in Turbo seems to work decently while I am driving but not as cold as my truck when idling. That could be normal and it is 20+ years old. The front needs airflow for things to work properly.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:43 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Can anyone here inform me as to why my brake pad wear sensor is now showing the "Low" error on the dash and the always on red light in the idiot cluster? Now I know why some crimp the wires and even don't connect them.

Does anyone has guidance? I'd sure appreciate it as I'd like to leave them connected. This has been a laborious and time consuming pad/rotor swap but it is finally done. Now for that dreaded light. First time I have ever seen it activated. It is very RED.
And, if you're lucky like me, you snip the sensors off, soder then together to close the circuit, and still get the occasional warning light.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kamlung
really? i thought he did full blown alignments and even corner balancing...
They may do them but in mine and other's experiences they are not good at it.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (05-31-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 07:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
And, if you're lucky like me, you snip the sensors off, soder then together to close the circuit, and still get the occasional warning light.
I hate to tell you but your warning light is from gumming up the plug connections with dielectric grease.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

A quick search yields that there is sometimes an issue with the wiring loom that the sensors are first contacted to(?)
A friend of mine had the above problem with his 996 Turbo... The wiring above (inboard) of where the brake sensor and wheel speed plug in got damaged. In his case it was the wheel speed/ABS sensor wires that were damaged, not the pad sensor, but it is the same wiring bundle.

i believe there is a repair kit sold by Porsche, but it was a fairly simple fix to identify the damaged wires, strip them back, solder, and shrink wrap with some marine grade shrink wrap. We had the car back up and running in 30 minutes or so.

If so, they are just gonna be unplugged.
The pad sensor light goes off with continuity, triggers with an open circuit. Can't leave it unplugged, but you could just short the two pad sensor wires together.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-30-2024 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:22 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I discovered the old sensors had been surreptitiously snipped by someone that messed with the passenger side caliper once. But when, and how is the question. i have been present for more pad replacements than I can remember. I still can't figure out how and when this shortcut was taken. But truth is, I don't need no stinkin' sensors! so I'm going to crimp them again rather than chase down the issue and mess with wiring. Of course I'll check the connections once more but I'm not going to obsess about not having a low pad "warning" system. Like I said before, I'd never in all the years even seen the error message(s)! Only thing of those lights I've ever seen I can remember is the PSM flashing and the "sky is falling - drive to workshop" stat! Oh, and the seatbelt often is "red".
Old 05-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by pfbz
A friend of mine had the above problem with his 996 Turbo... The wiring above (inboard) of where the brake sensor and wheel speed plug in got damaged. In his case it was the wheel speed/ABS sensor wires that were damaged, not the pad sensor, but it is the same wiring bundle.

i believe there is a repair kit sold by Porsche, but it was a fairly simple fix to identify the damaged wires, strip them back, solder, and shrink wrap with some marine grade shrink wrap. We had the car back up and running in 30 minutes or so.

The pad sensor light goes off with continuity, triggers with an open circuit. Can't leave it unplugged, but you could just short the two pad sensor wires together.
I just posted that I wasn't keen on messing with wiring at all ( not for this anyway ) but this brings more info and I thank you for that. Defintely going to investigate what might be done as I do have some fairly competent "help" but if all else fails? I will leave them as I just found them and now know exactly why my sensor didn't trigger. A previous "helper" had crimped the wires to disable it and we saw that as we took the stuff out pre swap.

Thanks again, for that info. The "triggers with an open circuit" is the takeaway and helpful.

Last edited by Lazurus; 05-30-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:53 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I always disable those pad sensors... Pretty much a must-do if you ever track the car.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:48 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by pfbz
I always disable those pad sensors... Pretty much a must-do if you ever track the car.
I just shared your earlier suggestion with a friend that has the ability to solder/repair a frayed wire should one be found ( or whatever ). If that fails, it's back to plan (A) which is leave them as I found them. Disabled.

In other news I bedded my new front pads and rotors and what a joy to no longer have any squeal from worn rotors 'n pads.

Last edited by Lazurus; 05-30-2024 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:33 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Glad you finally got the brakes sorted out.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?