996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As usual your workmanship looks flawless and very meticulous Ahsai. Thanks for the detailed pics. When do you think you'll be able to fire up your new motor?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 AM
mjberning
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much for the LNE claim that their single row bearings have a 50k service interval. Im assuming it was not the new single row pro version.

Its good to have this info because you never can trust the bluster of the parts suppliers ...

If I were you I would just wait until a good used motor shows up online and keep your old motor to practice on it. The car has 105K miles so there are likely used ones with lower miles.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good used motor, good luck with that!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
Wow, just WOW!
Originally Posted by Slakker
!!!
Originally Posted by Charlie129
Hello Duncan,

you really do a great job, with accuracy and love in all details!
Great pictures, we can see that you like what you do

Best regards!
Originally Posted by Barn996
As usual your workmanship looks flawless and very meticulous Ahsai. Thanks for the detailed pics. When do you think you'll be able to fire up your new motor?
Thanks, guys! A lot of TLC for sure. I found that actually most of the time was spent on preparation (cleaning, inspecting, measuring, dry fitting and adjusting, etc). The actual time for assembly is very short in comparison. It's kinda like cooking. You spent hrs preparing and cooking but it only take 10-15min to eat and enjoy the dish. I hope to fire it up over xmas but I also have visitors so not sure yet. If not, January 2017 will be the target.

Originally Posted by mjberning
So much for the LNE claim that their single row bearings have a 50k service interval. Im assuming it was not the new single row pro version.

Its good to have this info because you never can trust the bluster of the parts suppliers ...

If I were you I would just wait until a good used motor shows up online and keep your old motor to practice on it. The car has 105K miles so there are likely used ones with lower miles.
I'm using the IMS Solution (IMSS) and it makes total sense if you're rebuilding an engine and do not want to deal with subsequent PM of replacing the bearing again.

Practice? Yes, practice was done in Jake's intensive 4-day engine rebuild class. This is for real, man! I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of the total (staggering) cost down to every single bolt and gasket. It costs about $18k just in parts and machine work to duplicate this engine (including ~$2k acquiring cost for the broken engine for the crank, crank carrier, engine case, and the heads). Now the RND engine looks like a smoking deal because that includes labor and warranty!

The whole point of this adventure is to rebuild an M96 properly with success. The chassis is pristine at 100k miles and it serves as a test mule for the engine.

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Good used motor, good luck with that!
Right and I can always just sell the chassis as is anyway since it's in such a great shape.

Last edited by Ahsai; 11-29-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is phenominal work. Judging by this, i wouldn't have been able to rebuild my motor.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thank you for the cost data

"I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of the total (staggering) cost down to every single bolt and gasket. It costs about $18k just in parts and machine work to duplicate this engine (including ~$2k acquiring cost for the broken engine for the crank, crank carrier, engine case, and the heads). Now the RND engine looks like a smoking deal because that includes labor and warranty!"

I also posted my more modest costs for a rebuild .I did not use some of the expensive upgrade parts(like JE pistons) discussed here. Regardless you still need all the tools , equipment and the skills to use them.
What may not be included in the $18k above is the cost of Jake's class+travel+accommodation. And then there is the time. Not just actual assembly time but all the hours on Forums gleaning bits of information to avoid mistakes . This is a commitment few would make if they knew up front what is involved. Now you do know. This Thread is a wonderful addition too Rennlist knowledge about this problematic engine.
The RND option is welcome !
For the rebuilders who assert: "oh, it's a breeze, just slap it together, get 'er done" let's see your rebuild photos !
Old 11-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mjberning

Who let the damn troll in?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slakker
Who let the damn troll in?
7 Posts and the guy lectures us ! I suggest we ignore him to avoid another Thread killer.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Ahsai
That looks like a fantastic job should purr like a kitten , don't forget a few Valium before you turn the key, it's a nerve racking moment , even if your sure you done it all right , all the best !
Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
7 Posts and the guy lectures us ! I suggest we ignore him to avoid another Thread killer.
Sure sounds like a certain Martin for sure.

Duncan! Unbelievable what you have done!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Duncan is at the top of those who've attended my classes for the past decade. Duncan has done a better, more thorough job of this task than most professional M96 assemblers I have experienced over the years. In class he was attentive, took awesome notes, and asked great questions. He didn't fall asleep one time during the presentations, but I can't say that about the attendee that sat behind him!

Engine building is 95% attentiveness, and 5% luck.

That said, like Duncan stated its easy to end up with 14-18K in parts for one of these engines at a retail price point. Duncan did discover a unique parts source near the end of his purchasing spree, and he stated that could have saved him around 1K on the parts expenditures, but he had already made his purchases.

I sell an engine a couple of levels above what Duncan has built for around 22.5K, but it does have a few twists, and about 30 more HP, and you can't get that any other way :-) (shameless plug)

Duncan has illustrated what a dedicated individual can do with today's resources. This proves just how far we've developed, and taken the M96 engine over the last decade, since only 10 years ago none of these things were available to the public.

Duncan also got the chance to review my "M96 Definitive Guide"as I saw that he was a perfect beta tester to see just how effective the book can be to an individual like him when assembling an M96 engine.

As for the Troll, well there's one on every thread, I'm just about to wage war on them, stand by and watch what happens in the next few months. You'll be entertained.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dallison28
Wow, that is phenominal work. Judging by this, i wouldn't have been able to rebuild my motor.
You can too if one has reasonable mechanical sense and attends Jake's class.

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
"I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of the total (staggering) cost down to every single bolt and gasket. It costs about $18k just in parts and machine work to duplicate this engine (including ~$2k acquiring cost for the broken engine for the crank, crank carrier, engine case, and the heads). Now the RND engine looks like a smoking deal because that includes labor and warranty!"

I also posted my more modest costs for a rebuild .I did not use some of the expensive upgrade parts(like JE pistons) discussed here. Regardless you still need all the tools , equipment and the skills to use them.
What may not be included in the $18k above is the cost of Jake's class+travel+accommodation. And then there is the time. Not just actual assembly time but all the hours on Forums gleaning bits of information to avoid mistakes . This is a commitment few would make if they knew up front what is involved. Now you do know. This Thread is a wonderful addition too Rennlist knowledge about this problematic engine.
The RND option is welcome !
For the rebuilders who assert: "oh, it's a breeze, just slap it together, get 'er done" let's see your rebuild photos !
Thanks! Actually most of my info is from the 2003 WSM and Jake's class. There are also costs for tools and equipment. The engine class was like a retreat/vacation for me so I kept the accounting separate

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Ahsai
That looks like a fantastic job should purr like a kitten , don't forget a few Valium before you turn the key, it's a nerve racking moment , even if your sure you done it all right , all the best !
I can totally imagine the moment of turning the key.

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Sure sounds like a certain Martin for sure.

Duncan! Unbelievable what you have done!
Thanks Pete!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Duncan is at the top of those who've attended my classes for the past decade. Duncan has done a better, more thorough job of this task than most professional M96 assemblers I have experienced over the years. In class he was attentive, took awesome notes, and asked great questions. He didn't fall asleep one time during the presentations, but I can't say that about the attendee that sat behind him!

Engine building is 95% attentiveness, and 5% luck.

That said, like Duncan stated its easy to end up with 14-18K in parts for one of these engines at a retail price point. Duncan did discover a unique parts source near the end of his purchasing spree, and he stated that could have saved him around 1K on the parts expenditures, but he had already made his purchases.

I sell an engine a couple of levels above what Duncan has built for around 22.5K, but it does have a few twists, and about 30 more HP, and you can't get that any other way :-) (shameless plug)

Duncan has illustrated what a dedicated individual can do with today's resources. This proves just how far we've developed, and taken the M96 engine over the last decade, since only 10 years ago none of these things were available to the public.

Duncan also got the chance to review my "M96 Definitive Guide"as I saw that he was a perfect beta tester to see just how effective the book can be to an individual like him when assembling an M96 engine.

As for the Troll, well there's one on every thread, I'm just about to wage war on them, stand by and watch what happens in the next few months. You'll be entertained.
Thanks for the kind words, Jake! It meant a lot coming from you. As I've stated many times in this thread, the class did help a lot both by explaining why things are done certain (better) ways and it also forces you to practice! Everyone in the class were required to insert the wrist pin clip with the tool without failure!

Yes, you actually had asked me to wait for July when I was looking for parts but I was not patient enough. Of course then RND euro parts was formed and I've bought a few parts from them since then. They ship fast (i.e., same day you order!) and I was very impressed with their service and info on the website. They show you in real-time how many an item are in the inventory. That's perfect for people who need the parts NOW. The prices are very competitive, approaching Sunset. In fact, I just ordered from them last week (an intake valve).

I was honored to have a sneak preview of Jake's "M96 Definitive Guide" and I just hope it will be published soon! It contains all the info necessary to assemble the M96 and all the silver bullets too. The pictures are awesome that will put mine in shame!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

"I was honored to have a sneak preview of Jake's "M96 Definitive Guide" and I just hope it will be published soon!
This is very welcome news to someone like me who has many ,many posts mentioning this book and encouraging it's publication.I had given up waiting and did my rebuild without it.
Just imagine how many times Porsche people in future will cite to Jake's reference book. Imagine how many convoluted Threads will be quickly and positively ended by a reference to a page number in that book.
It would improve the technical level of not just Rennlist posts but remove much of the uncertainty in buying an M96-engined car .
Bravo Jake !
I proof read for Gutenburg so am happy to help you for FREE !
Old 11-30-2016, 12:23 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I have only seen the chapters that cover everything before putting on the heads so that's really only like 30%. I hope the rest of the chapters are as ready!

Last edited by Ahsai; 11-30-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Quick Reply: blown engine