Sponsored by:

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Yes I have Fabspeed 200 cell Xpipe, BMC filter, resonator bypassed in stock airbox. Coupled with PSE it sounds mean above 4000. Beyond coilovers and camber plates the rest of my mods are mostly for weight reduction.
Very nice! Will think more after I rebuild the engine successfully.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Default Zero grinding piston and rod balancing

Some of you may wonder why I chose to tackle this job as opposed to giving it to the machine shop. I have a few reasons but the major ones are:
- I wanted to go through it and see what is involved and how tricky it is.
- If you inspect the JE piston and the stock rods and hold them in your hands, you will realize there are not many places to trim weight without jeopardizing integrity.

So my goal was to juggle the parts and see without grinding, how close I can get. All the parts have natural weight variations (a fraction of a gram) due to manufacturing. Every single gram counts.

The whole process is VERY tricky because you need to be able to separate the rotational weight and the reciprocating weight. You need to be able to measure the little end or big end of the rod accurately that is repeatable also. Also when you add more weight to the big end, the little end will weigh less.

I use the following metrics to judge how balance everything is:

- Little end weight (part of the reciprocating weight)
- Big end weight (rotational weight)
- Total rod weight with bearing shells and ARP bolts installed
- Total piston weight with rings, pins, etc. installed
- Reciprocating weight = little end + total piston weight
- Piston + rod overall weight

So the goal is to match the pistons to different pins, rings, ARP bolts, bearing shells, circlips to minimize the variation of the above metrics between bores.

It involved heurestic and some Matlab code for fine tuning. At the end here's what I got and I'm pretty happy:

- Little end within 0.4g
- Big end within 0.3g
- Total rod within 0.6g
- Total piston (with rings, pins, etc installed) within 0.6g
- Reciprocating weight (LE + piston) within 0.4g
- Rod + piston within 0.2g

Clean rods with genuine bearings and ARP bolts installed for balancing.

Last edited by Ahsai; 06-12-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

That is amazing!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Goluscombe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy a 911 and, taken roughly, it seems that there is a choice between the air-cooled and the water-cooled versions of the engine. From a sanity-check point of view, spending $15 or $20K on a water-cooled engine because they seem to have a high failure rate has the unfortunate potential of taking the fun out of owning a sports car. I find an inordinate number ads showing 911s with engine problems.

I'm now thinking that the air-cooled 911s might be a better choice. I love all 911s, but setting reserves for a potential repair cost equal to another car is something I'd rather avoid. The next step is to look at the earlier 911s and learn what heartaches exist there.

Sincerely,

Carl
via Dragon Dictate
Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 757 Posts

This thread has been an entirely entertaining, educational, helpful and getting all the "inside" information from Ahsai's posts, plus the fact he is undertaking this project and sharing every thing, until now - CARL. Please move your post and start your own thread so we can rail at your idiot comments there. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Ahsai-

That's very cool! I am involved with rotating equipment for a living, so I find it very interesting. Thanks for posting!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:06 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Goluscombe
I'm looking to buy a 911 and, taken roughly, it seems that there is a choice between the air-cooled and the water-cooled versions of the engine. From a sanity-check point of view, spending $15 or $20K on a water-cooled engine because they seem to have a high failure rate has the unfortunate potential of taking the fun out of owning a sports car. I find an inordinate number ads showing 911s with engine problems.

I'm now thinking that the air-cooled 911s might be a better choice. I love all 911s, but setting reserves for a potential repair cost equal to another car is something I'd rather avoid. The next step is to look at the earlier 911s and learn what heartaches exist there.

Sincerely,

Carl
via Dragon Dictate
Carl,
Purchase the style 911 you like, but the air cooled isn't going to save you a dime. Ten years ago you could buy a very very nice 1986 911 for the low $20k range. Today that same car is $40k minimum. The cost of the air cooled car will be $20K more at least, than a 996. I see air cooled 911s with well over 100k miles asking high 30's to low 40's. And they don't seem to indicate a recent engine rebuild, which, if you're looking at a car with 140k miles (pre 1990), it's going to need one so add another $8,000 to the price.

If you are a IMSB worrier, avoid it. Buy a turbo. I personally LOVE all the IMSB insanity, it allowed me to purchase a 2002 Porsche 911 at a VERY reasonable price.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Goluscombe
7th Gear

DBJoe996,

I agree that it has been educational and Asahi's efforts are admirable. I am only observing, as someone new to the Porsche intricacies, that the costs are higher than I would have otherwise imagined. I still love the 911.

Sincerely,

Carl
Old 06-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Goluscombe
7th Gear

edjoherty,

I'm not worried about costs, just surprised. Agreed, one will pay for the 911 in form or another. I didn't realize that Porsche engine overhauls costs as much as some small aircraft engines to rebuild. If the IMS is the only shortcoming to the engine and there's a fix for it, then a repurchase inspection seems prudent and then have it retrofitted straight away.

Carl
Old 06-12-2016, 02:05 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Goluscombe

Sincerely,

Carl
via Dragon Dictate
The air cooled engines have problems too, ask me how I know. Researching both, Id take a 996 over an air cooled engine. Porsches cost now or later...do the research and get a decent PPI and you should be fine.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

As requested, please do not hijack this thread. Here is a brand new thread to debate Carl's questions. Please use it instead.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...y-a-911-a.html
Old 06-12-2016, 02:28 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahsai, I'm just impressed that you know about and use Matlab!!

And, to the Other Carl, have you priced a new specialty crate engine from GM? They're only about $2-3k less than an M96, and that's close enough for me. The IMS bearing issues are a very small percentage of the overall 996 fleet. Remember also that you only hear about problems, never successes.

Read the IMS bearing sticky at the top to see how many enthusiasts have had zero problems.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:47 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice work, that should idle so smooth you can balance a nickle on its side while it running.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Back to your regular program I've added photos showing where Porsche milled off material to balance the rods. Also photos of the JE piston which is very lean (light weight for its size so it's quite optimized and have no excess material to trim off).

Where the factory milled the big end to get it balanced

Factory trimmed another area on the big end

Side view, not a whole lot of material in that area.

Side view, not a whole lot of material in that area.

Little end. No trimming from factory

Not a whole lot of material if one needs to trim

Lean and mean precision JE pistons. The pistons are within 1.3g of each other.

Another angle. The only "safe" place to trim off weight

Another angle.

Side view. Not a whole lot of material can be removed.

An aluminum bar simulating how much to trim off 0.2g. It started with a right angle edge before trimming. Imagine removing that much from the piston in the background, granted the piston uses higher density aluminum but still

Quick Reply: blown engine