996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:09 AM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCELLENT description, and it makes sense. Thanks much for sharing!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

My pleasure! I LOVE things that make sense. I learned a lot by tracing the coolant flow inside the engine case, heads, and the front console (oil pump) so now I understand the whole cooling system routing.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Default IMS Solution pin spanner

Tools are courtesy of LN. Thanks Charles!

Will dry fit the filter adaptor later and see if any shim is needed to align the output port.

The pins fit into the holes on the adaptor

Now it can be torqued by a regular socket

The deep socket is for the center 12-pt nut
Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
In the M96 engine, the water pump pushes the coolant from the bottom of the engine to the top of the engine so by the time the coolant reaches the bank 2 thrust side, the coolant is already quite warm so it has less capability to carry the extra heat away from the thrust side. Bank 1 is the opposite because the thrust side of bank 1 is at the bottom (the ground side) so everything is good.
So if everything is good, why is bank 1 always the piston slapper?

Or is bank 1 too cold
Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by p.vanderlinden
So if everything is good, why is bank 1 always the piston slapper?

Or is bank 1 too cold
No, the weak side and bore scoring side is bank 2 (cyl 4-6), right side of the car. Bank 2 also has a little lower oil pressure than bank 1 per Jake.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Why a low temperature thermostat is a good mod for the M96

It's very simple. The coolant temperature inside the M96 engine is not very even, leading to hotter spots on the bank 2 thrust side (the sky side). The LTT lowers the temp of the whole system to create more headroom for the bank 2 thrust side. If heat load is added suddenly (e.g., WOT after a long stop light), there's still room to tolerate the heat increase.

In the M96 engine, the water pump pushes the coolant from the bottom of the engine to the top of the engine so by the time the coolant reaches the bank 2 thrust side, the coolant is already quite warm so it has less capability to carry the extra heat away from the thrust side. Bank 1 is the opposite because the thrust side of bank 1 is at the bottom (the ground side) so everything is good.

Another point is the thermostat is submerged in both the coolant coming back from the radiators (cooled) and the coolant coming out of the top of the engine. So any sudden heat increase from the cylinders will be averaged out by the cooler return coolant from the radiator and that makes the thermostat less responsive to open up.
Ahsai - thank you for the first complete and intelligent explanation of the justification for the LTT modification.
Other (well intentioned) dismissals of the LTT mod ignored the unique(?) peculiarities of the M96. Those of us who actually have rebuilt this engine learned the hard way not to blindly apply conventional wisdom and old school experience to this engine.
Thank you for explaining one of the many mysteries of the M96. Imagine how many engines(& wallets) may have been saved if this explanation had been available years ago.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:43 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the weak side and bore scoring side is bank 2 (cyl 4-6), right side of the car. Bank 2 also has a little lower oil pressure than bank 1 per Jake.
Oops, I thought bank 1 was the right side!
Old 06-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Ahsai - thank you for the first complete and intelligent explanation of the justification for the LTT modification.
Other (well intentioned) dismissals of the LTT mod ignored the unique(?) peculiarities of the M96. Those of us who actually have rebuilt this engine learned the hard way not to blindly apply conventional wisdom and old school experience to this engine.
Thank you for explaining one of the many mysteries of the M96. Imagine how many engines(& wallets) may have been saved if this explanation had been available years ago.
Thanks Schnell. I can't take full credit though. A major part of this was explained in the not-easy-to-read Hartech paper. I've probably saved you 10 pages of reading highly technical writing though

You will also come to the same conclusion if you take time to trace all the coolant passages inside the engine block and try to understand all the different flows. Pay close attention to the cross-sections of each passage/opening as that governs the relative amount of flow between all the parallel coolant "circuits" throughout the block and heads.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

The literary language that Baz uses is very old English Grammar School.It is like reading Jane Austen. I am fluent in it indeed my first car was an Austin(Healey). But to my knowledge, nobody else has independently supported his LTT theory. I followed most of his recommendations.I was admonished by one Forum for regarding Hartech as my bible !
So your comments are a particularly significant corroboration. I presume JR agrees but I understand his reluctance to be harangued by the 'keyboard experts'.
Doubtless all will be revealed when "The M96 - a Definitive Guide" is published :-)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Man, everyone's got an opinion on this.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

The internet is a dangerous place.

It's a free country so ppl can choose what they want to believe. I'm only interested in the truth or at least a close enough version of it

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Just because he makes a few diy videos ,does not make this self-publicist an M96 expert. His point of view may be valid(or not). The place to find out the truth is here where he has to debate others who may have more experience/knowledge. Despite all it's limitations Rennlist is a far more rigorous debating chamber than You Tube !
Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Exactly. I'm hoping to keep this thread as technical and factual as possible. Rational discussion and info sharing are of course welcome.

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Just because he makes a few diy videos ,does not make this self-publicist an M96 expert. His point of view may be valid(or not). The place to find out the truth is here where he has to debate others who may have more experience/knowledge. Despite all it's limitations Rennlist is a far more rigorous debating chamber than You Tube !
Old 06-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Exactly. I'm hoping to keep this thread as technical and factual as possible. Rational discussion and info sharing are of course welcome.
Well I felt he had a rational discussion in his video . Don't think I agree with it but good to hear other perspectives.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

This is such a great thread, thanks for your efforts!

Quick Reply: blown engine