996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 01:01 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Like Uncle Ben said, “With great power comes great responsibility’”…. I damaged a bolt using my monster 1/2 driver. Ordered a couple nuts and bolts but aside from that mishap, the rear is finished. Should start the fronts which I read is easier because you only have the option to remove the hub completely and not be dumb thinking I could just remove certain bolts to get around it.

I did finish the speaker mods and man the CAI kit is pretty damn nice, makes for pro looking work. Ordered a second set of speaker deletes rather than have a mix n match speaker grill set up(rears are CF). Do any of you use the radio removal tools to remove the radio? Unfortunately I’ll have to remove the center console again because I totally forgot to reroute the cell phone plug from under there.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:03 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Back to P car stuff. Had lunch with Barbancourt up in Broward. He hooked me up with an old shift boot so I could finish my shifter project. Photo of his car because I love the simple clean set up.

Next are the pics of the shift boot install to the frame. I did ok but still happy with it but I could’ve been finished a little better. The weighted **** is very nice and I love it.

Here’s a before pic with the GT3RS shift ****.

The following 6 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
GC996 (11-08-2022), JMattKTM (11-09-2022), plpete84 (11-09-2022), Ratchet1025 (11-09-2022), yaz996 (11-08-2022), zbomb (11-08-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:17 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,866 Likes on 940 Posts

Progress is looking primo! Are you keeping the stock radio? I think I recall some new speakers going in too?
Old 11-09-2022, 01:30 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Progress is looking primo! Are you keeping the stock radio? I think I recall some new speakers going in too?
Thanks brother and yes, the VW is correctly occupying the garage but I could probably install the dash speakers now. Unfortunately Tropical Storm Nicole is out in the Atlantic deciding where to make landfall so the weather here is trash.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:37 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Still working on the VW… the upper A arm ball joint will not release and I managed to break a ball joint separator that was probably made of Chineseum. Anyway, my battery died on the Porsche and I guess I never noticed but the battery is giant relative to the car. Never really thought where I needed to stand until it was time to remove the old battery… yep I stepped into the frunk and the hood provided fantastic shade.

Removed the radio to see where the Rennkit would need to be mounted. For those with the BTR3, where did you all run power and ground?

Completely random thoughts, now that the VW is out and I’ve been really slow to work on her… the Porsche is now my daily. Man I commend you guys who use this car every day! The Teq cage forces you to site upright which isn’t too bad but reaching back to get the seatbelt once in the seat is my only gripe about the cage. Fuel mileage has been pretty good at about 220mi to the tank and premium is around $4.30 a gal in my area. I did manage to catch the ledge of a curb and “rip” the lip off, it went back on with no problem and gave me an opportunity to retape the cup lip.

The more I drive it, the more I enjoy the car. Very happy with the ownership experience thus far.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 11-15-2022 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (11-17-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 07:55 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Still working on the VW… the upper A arm ball joint will not release and I managed to break a ball joint separator that was probably made of Chineseum. Anyway, my battery died on the Porsche and I guess I never noticed but the battery is giant relative to the car. Never really thought where I needed to stand until it was time to remove the old battery… yep I stepped into the frunk and the hood provided fantastic shade.

Removed the radio to see where the Rennkit would need to be mounted. For those with the BTR3, where did you all run power and ground?

Completely random thoughts, now that the VW is out and I’ve been really slow to work on her… the Porsche is now my daily. Man I commend you guys who use this car every day! The Teq cage forces you to site upright which isn’t too bad but reaching back to get the seatbelt once in the seat is my only gripe about the cage. Fuel mileage has been pretty good at about 220mi to the tank and premium is around $4.30 a gal in my area. I did manage to catch the ledge of a curb and “rip” the lip off, it went back on with no problem and gave me an opportunity to retape the cup lip.

The more I drive it, the more I enjoy the car. Very happy with the ownership experience thus far.
I have broken pickle forks too. Ball joints can be a real PITA. I guess it's time for the heat and the BFH. Keep at it and it'll eventually break free. Or take a grinder to the ball joints stud and press it out and replace the joint.

As far as the 996, you are braver than I stepping in the frunk like that! Although I'm sure it made taking the battery out much easier. Also, you are only getting 220 miles for a full tank?!?! That's like 14 MPG. I typically get upwards of 350 miles to a tank if I run it all the way down..
Old 11-15-2022, 08:56 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,511 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I stand in the frunk all the time, well not all the time but when u work on the battery and the fuel pump.

As far as the cage goes its rough on a stock seat position. Ill probably remove mine for the dragon trip.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:43 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 186 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have the written instructions for the Bluetooth Retrofit Kit installation? We also provide some video links.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 11-16-2022, 06:42 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 709 Posts

Damn dude you're a bull in a china shop.

When I did my heater foam thing I popped the struts and put the hood over against the windshield. (I did not have the luxury of being in southern climes, and the sun was not a factor.)
Old 11-16-2022, 08:08 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Never really thought where I needed to stand until it was time to remove the old battery… yep I stepped into the frunk and the hood provided fantastic shade.

The front bumper's a great place to sit when you're changing the fuel pump at the track.

Originally Posted by Type65
As far as the 996, you are braver than I stepping in the frunk like that! Although I'm sure it made taking the battery out much easier. Also, you are only getting 220 miles for a full tank?!?! That's like 14 MPG. I typically get upwards of 350 miles to a tank if I run it all the way down..
I get 200 miles to a tank, usually, sometimes less. I do like to hear that wooshing sound. Drive faster! Support the oil companies! Someone's got to pay for Luis' beer!
The following 4 users liked this post by theprf:
plpete84 (11-17-2022), Porschetech3 (11-16-2022), TheChunkNorris (11-16-2022), Type65 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:21 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
The front bumper's a great place to sit when you're changing the fuel pump at the track.

I get 200 miles to a tank, usually, sometimes less. I do like to hear that wooshing sound. Drive faster! Support the oil companies! Someone's got to pay for Luis' beer!
My buddies all laugh at me because I’m about 5’9” @ 250lbs.

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Do you have the written instructions for the Bluetooth Retrofit Kit installation? We also provide some video links.
I believe so but not sure, I may have tossed them on accident.

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I stand in the frunk all the time, well not all the time but when u work on the battery and the fuel pump.

As far as the cage goes its rough on a stock seat position. Ill probably remove mine for the dragon trip.
You think it’ll be less of a pain in the *** with buckets in?

Originally Posted by Type65
I have broken pickle forks too. Ball joints can be a real PITA. I guess it's time for the heat and the BFH. Keep at it and it'll eventually break free. Or take a grinder to the ball joints stud and press it out and replace the joint.

My girl lives 12mi away and all highway… it’s impossible not to speed. Just drove to Melbourne today and was making about 24MPG @ 75MPH.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
RennKit-Dave (11-17-2022), Type65 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:23 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wdb

When I did my heater foam thing I popped the struts and put the hood over against the windshield. (I did not have the luxury of being in southern climes, and the sun was not a factor.)
Ha! Yeah man it was the onIy way for me.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:09 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,519 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb

Ha! Yeah man it was the onIy way for me.
When I recently replaced the stock amp, I didn't want to test the integrity of the frunk pan (I'm 6'-1' 220lbs) but I got so frustrated that I had to go full in . I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't dent or otherwise compromise the pan in any way.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal911t:
TheChunkNorris (11-16-2022), wdb (11-18-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 11:59 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

One other update. Finally got around to installing the speakers into the car. Took about 30mins per speaker to convert a OEM speaker delete to a working speaker using the CAI kit and then removing the tabs on the Kickers to install into the CAI adapter. Ordered the speakers from Crutchfield since the speaker cables were included for free. Here’s the price breakdown for those who wanted to know.

Speaker Deletes - 55.00 per set x 2 = 110.00
Kicker 43DSC404 - 51.00 per set x 2 = 102.00
CAI speaker adapter kit - 50.00 per set x 2 = 100.00

So factoring the grand total of $312.00 and dividing by 4, the kickers sound better than the Bose units at 78.00 per. Links for products below.

Speaker adapter kit:

https://cai-store.com/collections/99...t-also-boxster

Speakers:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC...-43DSC404.html

Speaker Deletes:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC...-43DSC404.html

I found the Kickers to sound more crisp and pleasant, especially at $50 per set. Sure I could’ve gone more expensive to a Hertz or JL unit but I don’t think my ear could really tell the difference. Here’s what they looked like post conversion.

The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 12:00 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
When I recently replaced the stock amp, I didn't want to test the integrity of the frunk pan (I'm 6'-1' 220lbs) but I got so frustrated that I had to go full in . I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't dent or otherwise compromise the pan in any way.

I figured the floor board could support my weight, why not the frunk?

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.