Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 11:00 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I have good news for us Chonky Bois who like race car things in carbon fiber… on April 1st there will be a XL carbon seat option on Sparco’s site. These are pics of the seat, yes the one in the pic is a L but the one I’m getting is an XL.

I prefer a more subdued look for the seats but the Performance covering isn’t available on the carbon XL seat but is an option on the non carbon XL. The end goal is this but with red stitching.

Classic 9 will be doing the seat cover work since they did an exceptional job on the Cup steering wheel. I’m only doing one seat to ensure I’m 100% sure I want to invest that much into a seat. Think the only thing I’m on the fence on is whether to have the an embossed Porsche crest in the headrest or leave the “Sparco” script in black or carbon. I’m open to suggestions.
We get the Sparco QRT-C carbon seat in the UK :

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/spar...-s-s008025znr/

Unfortunately it's only available in one size. Large.
I'm 6ft tall and 185lbs and fairly well rattled around in one when I tried one for size, so I purchased a QRT Evo, non-carbon instead, and fitted it into the car using the BBi floor mount kit. Then I found it was impossible to get comfortable in ...

I pulled it out and fitted this instead. It's far lower (I suspect nearly 2") and way more comfortable than the Sparco, though regrettably for you larger guys, it's only available in one size :

Last edited by Atgani; 03-30-2023 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (03-31-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:23 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
We get the Sparco QRT-C carbon seat in the UK :

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/spar...-s-s008025znr/

Unfortunately it's only available in one size. Large.
I'm 6ft tall and 185lbs and fairly well rattled around in one when I tried one for size, so I purchased a QRT Evo, non-carbon instead, and fitted it into the car using the BBi floor mount kit. Then I found it was impossible to get comfortable in ...

I pulled it out and fitted this instead. It's far lower (I suspect nearly 2") and way more comfortable than the Sparco, though regrettably for you larger guys, it's only available in one size :

Oh man thanks for this post. I’m also doing a BBI base with the Sparco inserts/washers for my particular set up. I’m only 5’9” but with a Hispanic *** and legs so imagine a chubby sprinter. The problem are my thighs and back? which is magnified while sitting in a race seat. My dad has a Nismo 370z which comes with Recaro Sportsers and while my back fits perfectly, my lower section is snug and I’d rather be in a bucket if I’m going to be snug.

The method of measuring Brandon told me to do put me at approximately 16.5” in width with probably 1-1.5” to spare. The XL is 16.5” so it’ll be damned near perfect and I have the Teq cage in my car I think I’ll be ok. I’ll get good measurements for you guys once the seat goes in. Also for those wondering how the hell I’m going to get out… I got the Works Bell QD system for my car. So if I’m ever flopping around like a turtle on it’s back… I can remove the wheel for more room.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:14 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Oh man thanks for this post. I’m also doing a BBI base with the Sparco inserts/washers for my particular set up. I’m only 5’9” but with a Hispanic *** and legs so imagine a chubby sprinter. The problem are my thighs and back? which is magnified while sitting in a race seat. My dad has a Nismo 370z which comes with Recaro Sportsers and while my back fits perfectly, my lower section is snug and I’d rather be in a bucket if I’m going to be snug.

The method of measuring Brandon told me to do put me at approximately 16.5” in width with probably 1-1.5” to spare. The XL is 16.5” so it’ll be damned near perfect and I have the Teq cage in my car I think I’ll be ok. I’ll get good measurements for you guys once the seat goes in. Also for those wondering how the hell I’m going to get out… I got the Works Bell QD system for my car. So if I’m ever flopping around like a turtle on it’s back… I can remove the wheel for more room.
The biggest issue for me was the inability to get the seat as low as I wanted it. As soon as I drove the car with the Sparco/BBi combination installed, I knew it was too high.
I dropped the seat down at the back as much as it would go, but the seat shell fouled on the side mount return flange, so it was impossible to get it any lower.

I considered running the combination without sliders, but I figured it would make getting in and out a PITA, and by that time I’d lost faith in the BBi floor adaptor kit/side mounts, added to which it’s not drilled to accept side mounts without sliders, so rather than drill holes in the floor adaptor, I figured I’d throw the towel in and sell the kit unmodified.

Also be aware there’s not a huge amount of padding foam in the rear seat base cushion or the backrest lower cushion, and what there is, is thin, light duty and not particularly comfortable...
I was going to try modifying the cushions with alternative, denser foam, but again, I figured I’d quit whilst I was ahead and sell the seat unmodified, and try an alternative.

Cobra have engineered both the Nogaro seat shell and it’s specific ultra-low side mounts to ensure that combined they allow an incredibly low seat install/seating position.
I estimate it to be 2” lower than the Sparco Evo/BBi combination, and the end result means I feel more connected to the car than with either the stock 996 Sports seat, a 997 Sport seat I tried, and the Sparco/BBI combo.

If you get the opportunity to sit in the XL carbon Sparco for a decent amount of time, I would do so, only then will you know if it’s truly suited to you/your frame. Hope it works out for you

Old 03-31-2023, 07:29 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

The biggest issue for me was the inability to get the seat as low as I wanted it. As soon as I drove the car with the Sparco/BBi combination installed, I knew it was too high.
I dropped the seat down at the back as much as it would go, but the seat shell fouled on the side mount return flange, so it was impossible to get it any lower.

I considered running the combination without sliders, but I figured it would make getting in and out a PITA, and by that time I’d lost faith in the BBi floor adaptor kit/side mounts, added to which it’s not drilled to accept side mounts without sliders, so rather than drill holes in the floor adaptor, I figured I’d throw the towel in and sell the kit unmodified.

Also be aware there’s not a huge amount of padding foam in the rear seat base cushion or the backrest lower cushion, and what there is, is thin, light duty and not particularly comfortable...
I was going to try modifying the cushions with alternative, denser foam, but again, I figured I’d quit whilst I was ahead and sell the seat unmodified, and try an alternative.

Cobra have engineered both the Nogaro seat shell and it’s specific ultra-low side mounts to ensure that combined they allow an incredibly low seat install/seating position.
I estimate it to be 2” lower than the Sparco Evo/BBi combination, and the end result means I feel more connected to the car than with either the stock 996 Sports seat, a 997 Sport seat I tried, and the Sparco/BBI combo.

If you get the opportunity to sit in the XL carbon Sparco for a decent amount of time, I would do so, only then will you know if it’s truly suited to you/your frame. Hope it works out for you
Humor me, did you need the seat lower to fit inside the car with a helmet on or for comfort? I like where this convo is going because we come in all shapes and I believe a lot of the race seat configurations are geared for people under 6’ and 180lbs. I bought a carbon HJC helmet and can’t find it.. it’s either at my Mom’s house or somewhere in a room at my girl’s house, i swear that place is Narnia. When I get home in July, the seat should be at Rod’s ready to ship OR my buddy’s shop in Miami. I plan on slapping that seat in there asap because Racecar and I’ll have pics of my particular set up to include helmet clearance.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 03-31-2023 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:33 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Completely unrelated to the Sparcos, I’ve been picking up parts for the E88s that’ll hopefully be built sometime before I’m old enough to get Social Security. I stumbled across System Motorsport and Thomson has been answering some questions regarding some center caps I’ve been looking for. Then I started looking at the page and found they are selling hardware, gaskets and etc for Motorsport wheels. Ordered some hardware for 4 wheels and they arrived it my girlfriend’s house… shipped from BBS and I thought I was getting aftermarket/generic parts so I’m pretty stoked about it.

If anyone knows someone who has a set of 70mm 3 Tab Carbon BBS center caps or Black and Chrome 3D caps on the same measurements, please DM me.
smceo (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 09:41 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Humor me, did you need the seat lower to fit inside the car with a helmet on or for comfort? I like where this convo is going because we come in all shapes and I believe a lot of the race seat configurations are geared for people under 6’ and 180lbs. I bought a carbon HJC helmet and can’t find it.. it’s either at my Mom’s house or somewhere in a room at my girl’s house, i swear that place is Narnia. When I get home in July, the seat should be at Rod’s ready to ship OR my buddy’s shop in Miami. I plan on slapping that seat in there asap because Racecar and I’ll have pics of my particular set up to include helmet clearance.
Solely for comfort. My lower back is toast, so seat fitment is crucial. And I'd rather go through several seats/sidemount/baseplate combos to find the right one, than pay a fizzio or chiropractor every time I use the car !!
Found a picture of you on Insta last night BTW, you ain't that big You should fit in that carbon Sparco without any worries at all.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:46 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Solely for comfort. My lower back is toast, so seat fitment is crucial. And I'd rather go through several seats/sidemount/baseplate combos to find the right one, than pay a fizzio or chiropractor every time I use the car !!
Found a picture of you on Insta last night BTW, you ain't that big You should fit in that carbon Sparco without any worries at all.
Ah ok I get you and thanks. I’m deceptively larger than I look, my legs and back save me in appearance.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:31 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,511 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Ah ok I get you and thanks. I’m deceptively larger than I look, my legs and back save me in appearance.

Big Bear
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
TheChunkNorris (03-31-2023), zbomb (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:35 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 982 Posts

Chunk did you get all bbs replacements?
im asking because when I get the rims I want to have them powered BBS Gold and want them rebuilt
please post any contact info
Old 03-31-2023, 12:39 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Big Bear
So gentle.
TheChunkNorris (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:47 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Big Bear
Originally Posted by zbomb
So gentle.
Yes exactly

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 03-31-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:29 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
im asking because when I get the rims I want to have them powered BBS Gold and want them rebuilt
@Justin76 has a dude that he recommends on the East Coast but I can't remember the shop's name. I used System Motorsport for the bolts and will for the gaskets as well.
smceo (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 01:32 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 419 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
Hi!

For a rebuild, the assembly hardware, washers, and gasket + gasket o-ring must be replaced entirely as they cannot be reused. By reusing, there is a risk that they will not seal properly thus resulting in a slow leak. Let us know if you need any assistance with sourcing the right components. Of course, we can also source the centers, inners, and outers (though the centers there is quite the long wait right now).

Happy to help!

SYSTEM MOTORSPORTS
RAYS / ADVAN / BBS - RETAIL / WHOLESALE
@thomsonsss / @systemmotorsports

EVOMMM (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 01:34 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smceo
Hi!

For a rebuild, the assembly hardware, washers, and gasket + gasket o-ring must be replaced entirely as they cannot be reused. By reusing, there is a risk that they will not seal properly thus resulting in a slow leak. Let us know if you need any assistance with sourcing the right components. Of course, we can also source the centers, inners, and outers (though the centers there is quite the long wait right now).

Happy to help!
Thanks for jumping in and thanks again for answering my questions via email regarding parts. Glad to see you found my thread. Had I known about the centers I would've purchased through you but unfortunately FVD is local.
smceo (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 02:09 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

FWIW - I haven’t replaced the gasket/o-ring during my rebuilds (2X). They were in perfect condition visually and never experienced any air leaks.

I do generally replace the hardware and valve stems though.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
smceo (03-31-2023), TheChunkNorris (03-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.