Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022 | 10:28 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

I agree 100% ^^^^^. BaT isn't perfect, but there is plenty of upside for those looking for enthusiast cars. At the end of the day, buying a used car takes diligence, buying on BaT is no different.
The following users liked this post:
bdronsick (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 10:44 AM
bdronsick
Drifting

Huge "upside" on BaT is the fact that potentially thousands of enthusiasts, with more knowledge than the average Buyer, are critiquing the car live, in detail, via two-way, documented conversation with the Seller. BaT is literally a "group buy" due-diligence platform.

Unprecedented, and impossible to replicate brick & mortar or almost any other online sales venue

Originally Posted by Corso
I agree 100% ^^^^^. BaT isn't perfect, but there is plenty of upside for those looking for enthusiast cars. At the end of the day, buying a used car takes diligence, buying on BaT is no different.

Last edited by bdronsick; 09-02-2022 at 10:46 AM.
peterp (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 11:30 AM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Huge "upside" on BaT is the fact that potentially thousands of enthusiasts, with more knowledge than the average Buyer, are critiquing the car live, in detail, via two-way, documented conversation with the Seller. BaT is literally a "group buy" due-diligence platform.
You also get idiots that spew bad information that then needs to be corrected, which can also confuse buyers. It of course is the buyers responsibility to differentiate fact from fiction, but the comments section can be just as bad as BAT descriptions at times.
bdronsick (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 12:31 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Billup
You also get idiots that spew bad information that then needs to be corrected, which can also confuse buyers. It of course is the buyers responsibility to differentiate fact from fiction, but the comments section can be just as bad as BAT descriptions at times.
Yep, lot of wannabe Wayne Carinis, Mike Brewers, etc on there.
EVOMMM (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 02:11 PM
mjb2448
Racer

Originally Posted by wdb
This price drifted down. Not a 996, but it will soon reside with one.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/ca...omments-anchor
Been in love with this vehicle since '67 when McGoohan drove a S2 Lotus 7 in the British series "The Prisoner"
The following 2 users liked this post by mjb2448:
Gary12000 (09-02-2022), wdb (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 02:15 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

I just kind of sold my car on Pmarket place. Buyer hit reserve but after PCAR negotiated with seller. Well over a month later I still have car. He called me yesterday and I told him I just dropped car off to get a noise fixed (he knew about noise). He told me he would split bill and pay original price. I’m a bit reluctant to basically lose 1k by doing this. Might just keep, enjoy and relist in the spring. Before I get roasted, I’ve given the buyer over a month and haven’t gotten a deposit. I’ve missed a few cars I wanted to get because my money was tied up in this. Pcar got their commission.

Last edited by Argeo; 09-02-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2022 | 02:19 PM
pulpo
Pro

A month with no payment after an auction close is more than enough grace period. I would have already lost that guys number and relisted. I'd email pcar and just explain to them what happened. If you get banned and have to make a new account so be it. Doesn't seem like you did anything wrong to me.
Old 09-02-2022 | 02:27 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Argeo
I just kind of sold my car on Pmarket place. Buyer hit reserve but after PCAR negotiated with seller. Well over a month later I still have car. He called me yesterday and I told him I just dropped car off to get a noise fixed (he knew about noise). He told me he would split bill and pay original price. I’m a bit reluctant to basically lose 1k by doing this. Might just keep, enjoy and relist in the spring. Before I get roasted, I’ve given the buyer over a month and haven’t gotten a deposit. I’ve missed a few cars I wanted to get because my money was tied up in this. Pcar got their commission.
Keep it and enjoy. It's good to have you around on RL. The other guy needs to find another 996.
158Sierra (09-06-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 02:47 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Take the money and look for a new project prices will take a hit soon with the markets tanking
Old 09-02-2022 | 03:26 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Default intersting

Originally Posted by Argeo
I would ask for some earnest money by a certain date via electronic means but if you get that you are then bound by the agreement to sell it, i guess it depends on how you feel about the sale price, also why are Pcar not stepping in to handle this, whats their commission for if not to handle the details, as you can probably tell iv'e never used them. Is it just a listing service?
peterp (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 03:42 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary12000
I would ask for some earnest money by a certain date via electronic means but if you get that you are then bound by the agreement to sell it, i guess it depends on how you feel about the sale price, also why are Pcar not stepping in to handle this, whats their commission for if not to handle the details, as you can probably tell iv'e never used them. Is it just a listing service?
Agree, if I had received a deposit I would be obligated. I got nothing.
From my understanding, PCAR just brings the parties together. I have no issue with them. The buyer is a real nice guy too, I just feel like I just gave away 1k and the buyer got 1k of free service if I am thinking this through correctly.
Old 09-02-2022 | 04:16 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

As much as they're bashed, some aspects of BaT are underappreciated.
The 5% seller's fee you mentioned is one of them; auction houses typically charge 10% and up. The $99 listing fee is another. The fact that the buyer's fee is capped at $5000 also hugely benefits the buyers in the $100K+ zone. $100K car, $200K car, $1.2M car, all the same $5K fee.
Old 09-02-2022 | 04:33 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I haven’t bought in bat, but I have been the high bidder twice on pcar market. First time it was on a 2007 c2S, reserve was not met. They called me because I was the highest bidder, I made an offer, they call me back with a counter and it didn’t work. The second time my 03 turbo, the reserve was at $64. My max bid was $55, when they called me they asked me what I was willing to pay total all in fees included. I said $60k, 30 minute latter yes I bought the car. The owner of my car said that they convinced him to take less but pcar also lowered their auction commissions, so pcar negotiated with both buyer and seller. I heard that sometimes bat and the sellers are not on the same page regarding the reserves. Anyway they are not set in stone. The idea of showing reserve not met when a bid is placed doesn’t makes much sense because it will temp bidders to keep on bidding to thick the reserve off. I would prefer to be the highest bidder not meeting the reserve and get a chance to negotiate. I seen auctions where the seller had stated reserve lifted. And also auctions where seller says reserve has been lowered Car will sell today. The most frustrating one for the buyer is when there is a no reserve auction, he’s the high bidder and then the seller is not going to sell the car. There was one like that this week. Also some buyers have not followed thru with purchases, if you are the buyer they will banned you from bat unless there where some issues, last month there was a C4S with no oil pressure, the buyer was not penalized and wasn’t charged the auction fees. In the end is all negotiable.
Another benefit on BaT in this fortuitous situation is the 5% Buyer's fee is never charged. BaT places High Bidder & Seller in direct contact and they either strike a private deal or no. In either case BaT never receives their 5%. That is a huge benefit to Buyers on BaT over other platforms where the "house" brokers negotiations between both parties and preserves their fees. As much as they're bashed, some aspects of BaT are underappreciated. Not to mention BaT is notorious for pushing very hard for low reserves, which also favors the Buyer. Cars literally get stolen every day on BaT. $69K Slate Grey X50?? Mid $60's was an absurdly low reserve on that car if you think about it.

The "halo" high watermarks are held up as paragons of why "not to buy" on BaT. But the truth is BaT is Buyer's paradise. VERY low reserves. Vast pool of outspoken experts raking Seller's over coals. Fees capped at 5%... People will look back at today's BaT as a golden age for Buyers. IE eventually BaT will be raising fees, censoring posts (this has already begun), eliminating the 5% cap, and hiring Carmax floor managers to broker RNM's. Only a matter time
Thanks for the feedback. I like BaT and think it is much better in terms of being a viable buyer's platform since the new owner increased the volume. I still don't see any advantage to any of the parties (buyer, seller , BaT) to have the "silent reserve". Negotiating with the seller after the auctions seems less certain to result in a deal. I guess it depends on your buying style -- if you are looking for bargains or looking to flip, that may work well. For me, I usually take a year or more to find the exact car I want to buy, then I'm far more concerned about certainty of sale than price (within reason). Seems like the seller and BaT at a minimum would be better off with "reserve not met" being indicated.

Last edited by peterp; 09-02-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2022 | 05:49 PM
bdronsick
Drifting

Prices they are a driftin’

72K miles and not X50

Old 09-02-2022 | 06:00 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

I know this is the 996 thread but this thing popped up on my Facebook ads for some reason like I am in the market for this thing. I have no idea what the market is for these cars but it just seemed expensive lol

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3...paign=atempest

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up